PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Sixthform/College

chantellehugs
09-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Well I'm at the part of my life where I'm considering my options when I leave Year 11. I definitely want to continue my education, I'm just stumped on picking a sixthform/college. My sister went to a college that didn't do A Levels so I can't ask her for advice and I'm not sure what my brother did.

How did you all pick your sixthform/college? Did you ask your parents, follow your friends? I think the form has to be in by October so I'm a bit worried.

And do you think an hours journey to the place is too much? Because there's nowhere I want to go that's in my area.

Arron
09-09-2010, 07:21 PM
I know friends are important, but education is possibly more important at your age. You want to go to the best possible college providing you get good GCSE results. Besides, you will make more friends at college. It's what I've done, I went to a complete different college this year, I've already made new friends, education itself is going great and I still have spare time for my other mates.

Also an hour is a long journey, but aslong as you're willing to wake up extra early, get ready then set off and be at college on time, you'll be good.

chantellehugs
09-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks, I think I'm just stressing out because it's hit home that I should be thinking about this. And being aware of my grades and stuff.

I know friends are important, but education is possibly more important at your age. You want to go to the best possible college providing you get good GCSE results. Besides, you will make more friends at college. It's what I've done, I went to a complete different college this year, I've already made new friends, education itself is going great and I still have spare time for my other mates.

Also an hour is a long journey, but aslong as you're willing to wake up extra early, get ready then set off and be at college on time, you'll be good.

JACKTARD
09-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Decide what you want to do and find out where you can do those things. Some schools use blocks so you're restricted but a down side of joining my sixth form turned out to be a positive because the subject I wanted to do it shockingly boring and my backup turned out to be much better :P

MattFr
09-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I just went to the best college in the area cos I'm clever like that.

Special
09-09-2010, 08:55 PM
well first i chose what i enjoy doing and what i want to do in the future

for me, it was something to do with design

so obviously the best option for me would be art & design at college

however if you want to be say a doctor or teacher then you should consider 6th form A levels

if you tell me what you want to be when you're older, i'll tell you what would be suitable for you :)

Mathew
09-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Wow, it's already a year since I was in your same position... that has flown by! :(

You really need to aim for the best college / 6th form in your area - preferably the one with the best reputation as that is what will be the most important when applying for Universities if you decide to continue. Luckily myself and my "group of friends" all went to the same, good, respected and reputable 6th form so we travel their each morning together.

My advice is simply.. don't panic about it. In a few months, it's all going to get really hectic for you.. going to open evenings, applying for places, exams.. just make sure you plan your day.
Best of luck!

Storking
09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I just stayed at my school's sixth form because I knew all the teachers and most of my friends were gonna be there..

I wouldn't have chosen anything far because unless you're getting a lift from someone in their car.. it's gonna start costing quite a bit of money on buses there and back everyday! plus journey times will be long and they'll take up a chunk of your day.. sixth form can be tiring enough but add on an 1 hour long there and back, then you're gonna start getting very tired and have not much time to do your own things at home :)

Andeeh
11-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Ah I started college Thursday, how I choose mine was how friendly the place seemed and if they could suit my subject requirements. It takes me about an hour to get there but it's not to bad. 3 month saver for £70 and I'm sorted. Also it is where my close mates are going too.

redtom
11-09-2010, 03:58 PM
however if you want to be say a doctor or teacher then you should consider 6th form A levels

What, how does it make a diffrence where you do the A levels? :rolleyes:

Rapidshare
11-09-2010, 04:52 PM
What, how does it make a diffrence where you do the A levels? :rolleyes:

Suppose you could do A levels in college but gernerally A levels in sixth form are better.

Dean
12-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Because I live in London, we had a really cool website (https://mychoicelondon.co.uk) and it listed all the colleges/sixth forms in London and I just basically went through them all and applied to a tonne of them.

I applied to a college that I no one is going to, so it's going to be year 7 all over again for me to be honest but it may be nervous but I'm also looking forward to it. :) Don't follow your friends, education is important. Do what YOU want to do.

After applying, they obviously send you a letter saying you've been accepted, then you go for an interview, then enrolment.

Basically, apply to as many sixth forms/colleges as possible so if you don't get into one then you have back up. It's also nice to have choice.

You might wanna check their prospectuses as well when you think about applying, they normally show you photos of what college interior etc and what courses they offer.

I don't know about your area but if you wanna check out sixth forms/colleges where you live, go to http://yp.direct.gov.uk/14-19prospectus/

:) (hope this helped even if I did sound like a Connexions officer)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!