PDA

View Full Version : [Suggestion] Shoutbox/Chatbox

Etc
13-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Hey everyone,

I thought it'd be a good idea to have a shoutbox/chatbox system on the habbox forum, where users are able to chat with each other (Like msn, although allows all users of forum to communicate).

Pro's:
- Easy to communicate
- If bored, good incentive to chill on forum :)
- Easily implemented to vB
- Fast answer to questions (Instead of posting)
- Users who abuse this can be banned from shoutbox.

Con's
- Hard to monitor
- Users may spam
- High bandwidth

I googled, and found an example of what a shoutbox would look like

http://i31.tinypic.com/2je4cxf.jpg

Josh
13-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Check out: this thread. (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=657597)

It has many of the reasons this is unlikely to be introduced.

Etc
13-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Didn't see that one, fair enough then.

Mod can close this :].

Eoin247
13-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Just thinking off the top of my head a chatbox like that may be hard to manage/moderate especialy during times of high usage. But i may be wrong, its an idea i'd like to maybe see used on a trial basis.

Martin
13-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I remember the forum used to have a chat box down at the bottom, which I believe cost a lot of money. This turned out hardly being used, and I don't really think there was much interest in it at all after a while. Most people just use Msn for that type of thing, since it's just a lot easier and does the same job really. I think we should be using the spam section especially for chat like that, since it's the forum we want to concentrate on really, and getting sections busy again.

I can see why there would be positives for such a system, however I just don't think it's practical for this forum really. Some quieter forums use it I think, however with the amount of users, it could very well be abused, and would be hard to moderate as mentioned. I think things are best left as they are really, with msn (and the spam forum) being used for chat. +rep for taking the time to write out that idea though, it's always lovely to hear ideas!

Etc
13-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Hm can I ask why the chat box costed so much money? I had one on my vB forum with many active users, and it didn't cost any extra than the hosting I was paying. If it is abused, maybe make the chat system available for users with certain posts? or status? Or donators?

Nixt
13-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Hm can I ask why the chat box costed so much money? I had one on my vB forum with many active users, and it didn't cost any extra than the hosting I was paying. If it is abused, maybe make the chat system available for users with certain posts? or status? Or donators?

A previous member of Management opted to spend a considerable sum of money on a Flash Chat system.

My post in the thread Wiizzz linked to summarises my thoughts on Shout / Chat boxes: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=657597&p=6627910#post6627910

Martin
13-09-2010, 01:56 PM

I think the management at the time went for a fancy chat system thing, rather than the standard VB at the top one. If it's going to put strain on the server I would worry, since the server already seems to be a bit dodgy sometimes with high loads etc.

I think our main priority is still getting people to post on the forum etc, and having a shoutbox sort of counteracts this in a way. It's a nice idea, however I just don't think it's really suitable for habboxforum. We'll see what others think though.

Inseriousity.
13-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I've always liked the idea of a shoutbox mainly because every site I used before I came to Habbox had one and I liked them, it can break down cliques on the forum but it's not an idea that this forum really likes (the chatbox failed cos they hid it away) and I can manage without one so I don't really force the issue.

Ajthedragon
13-09-2010, 04:09 PM
I think ---MAD--- tried it and it failed, although it was a flash one. If we had just a normal one at the top it would most likely be used so much nobody could really have a convo, can't see any harm in it though, providing it can be hidden.

Mathew
13-09-2010, 04:10 PM
No, it's already proven to be a fail in the past. We need to encourage posting - not discourage it.

The spam section would suffer and so would the HxHD.

Phil
14-09-2010, 10:25 PM
They cost a lot and it would be a nightmare for moderators to moderate. It would be used for abuse too.

Alex3213
15-09-2010, 03:19 PM
No, it's already proven to be a fail in the past. We need to encourage posting - not discourage it.

The spam section would suffer and so would the HxHD.

Matt's summed up my opinion perfectly here. If you want a discussion, post. Infact, just like Matt has said, there are people in HxHD who can talk to you. If not? Post, there is a spam thread and there are threads creating discussion every single day!

Jin
17-09-2010, 03:48 AM
If is were introduced (again) it would have to be an exclusive feature to only certain usergroups.

Minstrels
17-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Didn't we use to have that crappy one with the little icons on a separate window etc? Was used for about one night then it was dead because it was an external chat.

Richie
17-09-2010, 10:25 PM
its fails imo defeats the purpose of a forum when you could easily discuss set topic in the shoutbox

Calvin
17-09-2010, 10:44 PM
They cost a lot and it would be a nightmare for moderators to moderate. It would be used for abuse too.Well they could hire shoutbox moderators, it'll be easy to check though. And it's a free addon from vBulletin. I don't agree though because theres no point of forums then.

Kyle
17-09-2010, 10:47 PM
pointless

-Nick
18-09-2010, 08:29 AM
wE COULD NOT HAVE IT THERES TO MANY MEMBERS !!!!

.x.miss.angel.x
18-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Hmm, I like the idea but as said before, Habbox is a super busy forum, people always posting so it would stop the posting & people would just spam their site or some random stuff & would have to have mods devoted to it 24/7 ..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!