PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy an iPad?

HotelUser
16-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey there,

I've been given the green on an iPad and what's more I only have to pay half of it to get one.

I really don't know if I should get it or not. I want to be able to multitask and I have no idea where that stands on the iPad. I have no idea how good the battery is as I'd want it to be a lot better than my Nexus One, and I'd want to be able to tether through my Nexus One to get online.

Keep in mind if I wait for a Galaxy tab or something I do live in rural Canada and I'm lucky that I found a store that carries an wifi iPad. Bleh, I'm so on the fence here I don't know what to do :P

Recursion
16-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Wait until the 2nd gen one, 'tis what I'm doing now.

Special
16-09-2010, 08:17 PM
no they seem like a lot of money to me

kk.
16-09-2010, 08:29 PM

this. only a few more months left :P

HotelUser
16-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I think I'm getting one :P

2nd gen hmm.. what's magical and more special with that one :D

I'm just concerned about multitasking. Can the iPad do it?

kk.
16-09-2010, 08:39 PM
I think I'm getting one :P

2nd gen hmm.. what's magical and more special with that one :D

I'm just concerned about multitasking. Can the iPad do it?

no one knows what the 2nd gen is, but id wait for any apple products second gen. Mainly cus they always make the first one look bad when they come out.

multitasking will be coming in an update due out soon. not sure when though. sometime between now and november though

Recursion
16-09-2010, 08:47 PM
4.2 will bring multitasking to this iPad before Christmas, but I'm hoping they might boost the RAM from the 256mb it has to at least the same amount as the iPhone 4 (512mb) so it'll improve multitasking (oh, and perhaps a gyroscope? :P)

kk.
16-09-2010, 08:50 PM
4.2 will bring multitasking to this iPad before Christmas, but I'm hoping they might boost the RAM from the 256mb it has to at least the same amount as the iPhone 4 (512mb) so it'll improve multitasking (oh, and perhaps a gyroscope? :P)

im thinking the next major thing, or maybe after, will be HD 3D on iphone and ipad. probably a retina display on the next ipad tbh

MrPinkPanther
16-09-2010, 09:22 PM
im thinking the next major thing, or maybe after, will be HD 3D on iphone and ipad. probably a retina display on the next ipad tbh

They won't do 3D on the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, they can't. 3D requires the end device to be stationary, if it rotates then the 3D effect is lost and all "iDevices" offer both portrait and landscape views. Next time you go to a 3D film tip your head to the side and you'll see what I mean, it's because the way "3D" doesn't take into account vertical space. I can only assume you are talking about a parallax barrier like the 3DS as well which doesn't work at all unless you are in a narrow space in front of it, it's totally impractical for devices like the iPad which are intended to be used by multiple people at once not to mention the cost of it.

kk.
16-09-2010, 09:53 PM
They won't do 3D on the iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, they can't. 3D requires the end device to be stationary, if it rotates then the 3D effect is lost and all "iDevices" offer both portrait and landscape views. Next time you go to a 3D film tip your head to the side and you'll see what I mean, it's because the way "3D" doesn't take into account vertical space. I can only assume you are talking about a parallax barrier like the 3DS as well which doesn't work at all unless you are in a narrow space in front of it, it's totally impractical for devices like the iPad which are intended to be used by multiple people at once not to mention the cost of it.

hold on didnt see your last part lol

its a matter of different technology. Ive said this numerous times before but there are TVs in development which do not require you to wear glasses. Which is why i said perhaps not the next gen but the gen after

HotelUser
16-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Bleh.

I bought one!

Now how do I jailbreak this thing and if I break it what happens :P

Josh
17-09-2010, 03:34 AM
look for spirit jailbreak or something. I think that works for the ipad.

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287775

ipad jailbreak tutorial for 3.2 firmware. (not sure if ipad had 4 yet)

oh and welcome to apple they seem to have forgotten an important document in ur purchase

that document has been convieniently put into a spoiler tag for viewers

a little rudeness that people should be able to handle below

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/1.png
first step of apple, this is you hoteluser

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/2.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/3.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/4.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/theoatmeal-img/comics/apple/end.png

this is just a joke btw.

Recursion
17-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Mr Dave, I expected better of you with the iPad 2nd gen just several months away :(

Oh well, it's just like jailbreaking an iPod Touch, but bigger! :P

HotelUser
17-09-2010, 11:49 AM
I don't know what to do about that Tom!

You cant jail break this 3.2.2 version that my iPad has. Jailbroken ipads would be absolutely amazing and really be comparable to their Android counterparts. Without jailbreak though I feel extremely limited on it. I am feeling the hate on the lack of multitasking. There's a lot of pros to the iPad but without jail breaking I don't know what my game plan is.

One this plus side none of my friends in real life actually believed I bout an iPad. They thought it was a big elaborate trick against them :P

StefanWolves
17-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Ditto, but I really want one and my birthday is in a week. So tempted but I think I'll resist it until the new one in January.

Josh
17-09-2010, 02:31 PM
I don't know what to do about that Tom!

You cant jail break this 3.2.2 version that my iPad has. Jailbroken ipads would be absolutely amazing and really be comparable to their Android counterparts. Without jailbreak though I feel extremely limited on it. I am feeling the hate on the lack of multitasking. There's a lot of pros to the iPad but without jail breaking I don't know what my game plan is.

One this plus side none of my friends in real life actually believed I bout an iPad. They thought it was a big elaborate trick against them :P

Take it back and wait for the new one. Good gameplan.

Agnostic Bear
17-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Hey there,

I've been given the green on an iPad and what's more I only have to pay half of it to get one.

I really don't know if I should get it or not. I want to be able to multitask and I have no idea where that stands on the iPad. I have no idea how good the battery is as I'd want it to be a lot better than my Nexus One, and I'd want to be able to tether through my Nexus One to get online.

Keep in mind if I wait for a Galaxy tab or something I do live in rural Canada and I'm lucky that I found a store that carries an wifi iPad. Bleh, I'm so on the fence here I don't know what to do :P

No, garbage product.

Galaxy Tab. South Korean overlords.

HotelUser
17-09-2010, 07:00 PM
No, garbage product.

Galaxy Tab. South Korean overlords.

Instead of the typical slandering could you please convince me as I am on the fence here to be honest.

Agnostic Bear
18-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Instead of the typical slandering could you please convince me as I am on the fence here to be honest.

Google specs, if you choose iPad you're a moron.

My point still stands:
Garbage product.

iBlueBox
18-09-2010, 04:24 PM
bought mine at the start of september, loved it so much, i use it more then my mac. Its such a good device to keep on top of mail, and to be entertained.

What i'm planning on doing, as i got the 32GB,

around january / February sell it for half the price £250 or the highest i get, then just save up the rest and buy the next gen iPad.

HotelUser
18-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Google specs, if you choose iPad you're a moron.

My point still stands:
Garbage product.

Your inadequate and condescending posts aren't convincing me to do anything. Don't try harder, try differently please :)

Recursion
19-09-2010, 11:18 AM
bought mine at the start of september, loved it so much, i use it more then my mac. Its such a good device to keep on top of mail, and to be entertained.

around january / February sell it for half the price £250 or the highest i get, then just save up the rest and buy the next gen iPad.

You'd have a buyer here at that price, even if a new one did come out :P

Agnostic Bear
19-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Your inadequate and condescending posts aren't convincing me to do anything. Don't try harder, try differently please :)

My post isn't condescending or inadequate at all. I told you to google the specifications of each device and if you think the iPad specifications are better you're a moron.

I'm going with a whole "just the necessary parts" posting style. That apparently doesn't work with you, a person who needs an explanation for everything!

I'm not explaining my recommendation and I hope you're happy with your shiny useless slate of garbage.

StefanWolves
19-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I've given in to temptation, I'm gonna get one I think.

Will do the same as the person above suggested, buy one and sell on in February, I'll ge the 16GB Wi-Fi model. Second hand models are still going on Ebay for £400! if I get £300 in February for it I'll be really happy.

AgnesIO
19-09-2010, 01:10 PM

You bought something for £500, to use it for 7 months? :P

iBlueBox
19-09-2010, 01:24 PM
You bought something for £500, to use it for 7 months? :P

yup, well. if the newer one has a front facing camera, and a retina display then il sell.

HotelUser
19-09-2010, 02:10 PM
You can get USB adapters for these things apparently :P

My post isn't condescending or inadequate at all. I told you to google the specifications of each device and if you think the iPad specifications are better you're a moron.

I'm going with a whole "just the necessary parts" posting style. That apparently doesn't work with you, a person who needs an explanation for everything!

I'm not explaining my recommendation and I hope you're happy with your shiny useless slate of garbage.

I'm willing to listen with open ears to someone giving me advice who's posting with less attitude and less aggression.

Excellent2
19-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Unless they can be jailbroken, no. The Galaxy tab looks much better, and is on a better platform.

kk.
19-09-2010, 02:50 PM
i think what some people might be missing is, that everything maybe that he owns is apple. Iphone, imac, ipod, ipad whatever. its all interlinkable, and if he were to get a different tab, he'd have to have seperate applications etc etc etc.

AgnesIO
19-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Unless they can be jailbroken, no. The Galaxy tab looks much better, and is on a better platform.

Isn't is on Android? If sop then until Android 3.0, it isn't.

Recursion
19-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Isn't is on Android? If sop then until Android 3.0, it isn't.

Wat. They haven't even announced Android 3.0's features yet? :S

AgnesIO
19-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Wat. They haven't even announced Android 3.0's features yet? :S

But Google said that Android isn't made for tablets at the moment didn't they?..

StefanWolves
19-09-2010, 06:43 PM
You can get USB adapters for these things apparently :P

I'm willing to listen with open ears to someone giving me advice who's posting with less attitude and less aggression.

For the iPad really, from where?

Excellent2
19-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Galaxy tablet is better, hands down. The only thing that the iPad has is a better screen size and resolution.
http://www.mobilitysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/SamsungGalaxyTabvsAppleiPadMobileSpoon.png

And yes, Google did say that Android is not ready for tablets, but it is.

HotelUser
20-09-2010, 11:26 AM
For the iPad really, from where?

It's called the camera connection kit, it comes with a USB converter. I've bought one yesterday. Without jailbreak it let's you use headphones and keyboards but after jailbreak you can use flash drives and other devices. I bought it to charge my phone whilst tethering but unfortunate it doesn't give off enough juice to do that.

i think what some people might be missing is, that everything maybe that he owns is apple. Iphone, imac, ipod, ipad whatever. its all interlinkable, and if he were to get a different tab, he'd have to have seperate applications etc etc etc.

Nope, My phone is a Nexus One. I have an iMac but it's the only Mac I've ever bought and there's a quad core desktop sitting beside it. On the contrary to what you said I'm not sure which --free-- applications to get because unlike Android there's not a huge freeware selection.

kk.
20-09-2010, 12:04 PM
It's called the camera connection kit, it comes with a USB converter. I've bought one yesterday. Without jailbreak it let's you use headphones and keyboards but after jailbreak you can use flash drives and other devices. I bought it to charge my phone whilst tethering but unfortunate it doesn't give off enough juice to do that.

Nope, My phone is a Nexus One. I have an iMac but it's the only Mac I've ever bought and there's a quad core desktop sitting beside it. On the contrary to what you said I'm not sure which --free-- applications to get because unlike Android there's not a huge freeware selection.

Oh no, I didn't mean you actually owned them. I meant hypothetically, if you had, the logical option would be the iPad over the others

Felix
20-09-2010, 12:15 PM
I have recently bought one. And to be honest, I am not that happy with it. If you are looking the Apple way I'd suggest to get an apple notebook

Delimed
20-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Buy a iphone they do exactly the same thing and they are like £700 cheaper
lol

kk.
20-09-2010, 02:10 PM
lol

uhm, what?

32GB ipad - £500
32GB Iphone 4 - £600

AgnesIO
20-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I have recently bought one. And to be honest, I am not that happy with it. If you are looking the Apple way I'd suggest to get an apple notebook

I love how honest you are about that. Most people refuse to say it isn't the "magical" thing that jobs claimed it was.

+rep :)

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2010, 04:46 PM
But Google said that Android isn't made for tablets at the moment didn't they?..

They are saying Android 3.0+ will be more ideal/better for tablets but the Samsung Tab is still a very nice device.

AgnesIO
20-09-2010, 04:49 PM
They are saying Android 3.0+ will be more ideal/better for tablets but the Samsung Tab is still a very nice device.

Don't get me wrong - I totally agree it is a really nice device. I would get it above the iPad anyday

Just pointing out what they said!

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Don't get me wrong - I totally agree it is a really nice device. I would get it above the iPad anyday

Just pointing out what they said!

Oh no, I didn't mean my post like that. It's just a shame about the price tag of the Samsung Tab and where the iPad has a lower price tag and looks quite nice with the latest iOS update. :P

kk.
20-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Oh no, I didn't mean my post like that. It's just a shame about the price tag of the Samsung Tab and where the iPad has a lower price tag and looks quite nice with the latest iOS update. :P

how expensive is the samsung tab?

xxMATTGxx
20-09-2010, 10:00 PM
how expensive is the samsung tab?

Amazon UK
Price: £599.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Device-Cortex-Android/dp/B0042D75TU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1285011258&sr=8-2

kk.
20-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Amazon UK
Price: £599.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-Device-Cortex-Android/dp/B0042D75TU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1285011258&sr=8-2

wow, quite expensive then ay :P i thought it was cheaper!! :P

Excellent2
20-09-2010, 10:42 PM
wow, quite expensive then ay :P i thought it was cheaper!! :PWith the Galaxy, you're paying for freedom ;)

kk.
20-09-2010, 10:48 PM
With the Galaxy, you're paying for freedom ;)

Depends what you want to do with it tbh lol. The only downfall I feel with my phone is no flash. But tbh, it doesn't bother me THAT much.

Anyway, hope you're well Lucas :)

HotelUser
20-09-2010, 11:21 PM

I'm not going to lie--you're right :P

lol

I have a Nexus one, and my iPad was less than half of 700 pounds. my iPad was about 250 pounds. They're double the price over in the UK!

StefanWolves
21-09-2010, 04:56 PM

Since when did freedom become such a premium?

One word; jailbreak

Recursion
21-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Very tempted to ask for my parents to go halves on the price for one as my Christmas present :P lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!