PDA

View Full Version : iBook (3 years old+)

Casanova
18-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Right guys,

I need some help. My sister bought an iBook a few years back, she didn't use it for a good while (at least a year) and tonight she wanted to use it (going to give it to my nephews to use cbeebie's and stuff on).

We went to log on, we're unaware of username and password.
We don't have the installation disk to reset the software, is there any other way for me to reset the computer or to reset the password?

Of course we don't know the administrator password to actually access anything. We're unaware of generation etc.

Plus rep for any help!

Jam
18-09-2010, 07:45 PM
MacBook was 2006 so that is most likely 2005 or prior. I wouldn't say it would be supported by anything (especially flash which I imagine cbeebies is laiden with) by now. But based on a google search;

Reboot
1. Hold apple + s down after you hear the chime.
2. When you get text prompt enter in these terminal commands to create a brand new admin account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now
3. After rebooting you should have a brand new admin account. When you login as the new admin you can simply delete the old one and you're good to go again!

AgnesIO
18-09-2010, 10:04 PM
What is an "iBook"?

Casanova
18-09-2010, 10:11 PM
we just never ever used it. and we're clueless as to what to do. I've tried what you've suggested but it hasn't worked. Thanks for your help man - I'll ask my boss he's a fan of apple products.

HotelUser
18-09-2010, 11:15 PM
What is an "iBook"?

An older, rather slick looking Apple Laptop

http://membres.multimania.fr/skyline13300/ibook3.jpg

Casanova
19-09-2010, 08:46 AM
yep except it must be the oldest of the lot - it just says iBook.
it's actually a nice looking laptop being honest. just unable to use it :(.

HotelUser
19-09-2010, 02:11 PM
yep except it must be the oldest of the lot - it just says iBook.
it's actually a nice looking laptop being honest. just unable to use it :(.

Those things weren't cheap. She bought one and never ended up using it?

AgnesIO
19-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Those things weren't cheap. She bought one and never ended up using it?

That's what I was thinking?

I am assuming they were similar prices to the MacBook?

Casanova
19-09-2010, 03:57 PM
her husband bought it, he played with it for a wee while and gave it to her. She never bother using it really. Now she's decided she'd like to use it again because she would like my nephews to use it. it's not doing anything and they're only five so they may aswell.

She clearly has too much money then...

mb-group.net
26-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Have a look on eBay for an OS X Leopard (or lower) disc (Snow Leopard isn't PowerPC compatible so that wont work) and re install it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!