PDA

View Full Version : Is it right for Footballer's private lives to become a media spectacle? ENDS 3/10/10

Cosmic
19-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Is it right for Footballer's private lives to become a media spectacle? - ENDS 3/10/10

We are often bombarded with stories about Footballers risking all and undertaking in sordid affairs and one-night stands. The media often focuses on the wives/girlfriends who have been wronged, as well as the occasional attempt at a 15 minutes of fame for the women that the footballers have cheated with. Is this necessary? An affair or cheating may well destroy a relationship and so a certain level of sympathy is bound to be felt towards the victims. However, is the media right to cover it in such detail?

Should coverage of footballers strictly be kept to what happens on the pitch?

Josh
20-09-2010, 07:01 AM
No it's not right. But when you become a high-paid, famous sportsperson, you should know what you're diving into. If they want to go into that business, you have to be prepared to have your private eye inspected and broadcasted around the world.

Alkaz
20-09-2010, 03:44 PM
It's a tricky one. I think it is right that they're ridiculed publicly for it however it now seems to have become a new accessory like everyone needed a WAG, you've now got to of had some kind of sordid affair. I think that's right because they're serious role models for thousands and thousands of young boys and men across the country and they shouldn't be able to get away with it. However all of the press coverage they get is making it seem as though it is right and that it is something glamorous for boys to go out and do that when it isn't. Just like Lindsey Lohan who gets sent to prison for X Y and Z she is then on the front cover of one of the most famous magazines in the world, which again is glorifying something which should be shamed in the press.

So I think that it is right that there is so much press attention surrounding footballers when this happens, just no the right kind of press for the 'fans'.

Hayleigh
20-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Many boys want to be footballers when they grow up. But they are in the media for almost anthing a pay rise , getting married and having affairs. Then again they are payed so much that they are a big topic of conversation. We like to know what our idols are like but sometimes I don't think the media shows what they have done right and just wrong . So I disagree with that they are always being slated. But the media survives because they spread news that interests us which I guess that does :)

Special
20-09-2010, 06:31 PM
half of the time it's them wanting the attention and making sure they get in the 'media spotlight' but for the other half who don't want it of course it's not right

Minstrels
20-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Footballers don't go into the world uneducated in how to handle media, yes many can't add up 5 + 5 however they're taught how to handle the media by the club they're with the moment they hit sixteen. They know the spotlight will be on them, they realise the moment they step out of line they'll be scalped by the red tops in order to sell papers. Some know how to play the media, with the help of a good agent they can manipulate the public image of themselves. Some decide to build up this family man image such as Terry and Rooney, others decide to build up a bad boy image such as Diouf. If they get bored they go out in the open and do something what appears to be stupid however it's actually clever. If they pay a prostitute they're no longer a family man. Endorsements are dropped but at the same time public pressure disperses. Nobody wants to be seen with Diouf because he's got a bad reputation.

Barton is an example of changing his image. A few years ago he was seen as scum, stubbing a youth player in the eye with a cigar, punching a team mate, assaulting a man, the list goes on. Now he's building up his reputation to be a good boy, working for charities, going to hospitals.

The players know at a young age the media will be there throughout the playing years. They use it, don't think they're naive.

Bun
20-09-2010, 07:58 PM
yes. they get all the bonuses from being rich, famous & in the media spotlight, i mean they're role models to a lot of kids growing up. just because they've done something wrong they shouldn't be excluded from this.

Geraint
20-09-2010, 08:23 PM
if you want to stay out of the limelight for the wrong reasons then it's easily done. all those that have done wrong can only blame themselves.

GoldenMerc
21-09-2010, 08:48 AM
It's not right but they are preforming infront of a audience they can expect much different its been the same for many years and won't ever change i imagine

kuzkasate
21-09-2010, 07:54 PM
The media literally surround footballers and other celebs. I think its totally wrong, you can never basically do what you would want to do because you know that most of the time, there are news reporters out there, trying to catch you out at something and turn you into a villan or a hero, depending on what they do. So basically, footballers lives are not their lives, their life is controlled by their managers and the media.

I think its everyones right, to have their private lives, kept private.

I dont know if you have watched footballers wives, the tv drama? But that is basically, all about footballers lives and wives, it shows everything how it is!

Minstrels
21-09-2010, 08:20 PM
The media literally surround footballers and other celebs. I think its totally wrong, you can never basically do what you would want to do because you know that most of the time, there are news reporters out there, trying to catch you out at something and turn you into a villan or a hero, depending on what they do. So basically, footballers lives are not their lives, their life is controlled by their managers and the media.

I dont know if you have watched footballers wives, the tv drama? But that is basically, all about footballers lives and wives, it shows everything how it is!
******* lol...

Edited by Cosmic (Forum Super Moderator) please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

Bun
22-09-2010, 10:34 AM

sounds like you're having your life ran by somebody else as well

Apple
22-09-2010, 08:32 PM
No I do not think it is right at all. They are just normal people, albeit amazingly well known/paid however it is just their job and have their own lives just like me and you. So for that reason I think anything they do in their private lives should remain private.

kuzkasate
22-09-2010, 08:38 PM
******* lol...

sounds like you're having your life ran by somebody else as well

it does. and i actually recommended it to the people that wanted to waste their life trying to become a footballer and they had second thoughts.

Minstrels
22-09-2010, 10:11 PM
it does. and i actually recommended it to the people that wanted to waste their life trying to become a footballer and they had second thoughts.
It actually doesn't. FW was written for entertainment, it isn't factual. Just like Dream Team, it's written for a laugh, puts a spin on things. I can tell you for a fact FW does not portray the vast majority of footballers day to day, night to night business.

HotelUser
22-09-2010, 10:22 PM
They choose the career and all the attributes which come along with it. In my opinion it's fair, and it's going to be a rarity if you can find a player who would take privacy over the millions of dollars they're making.

Tintinnabulate
22-09-2010, 10:32 PM
They are famous and its a huge market. Dealing with it is part of the job and they are paid very nicely too. Children look up to them and them going around cheating on their gf's and wives is setting a terrible example of the young. Those footballers who cheat disgust me and should be ashamed. Kids look up to them and they are setting an awful example.

.x.miss.angel.x
23-09-2010, 05:55 AM
No idea, considering i have footballers alley behind my street, and recently we have had itv news parked further up our road & on the news one of the houses is shown so...

Bun
23-09-2010, 09:55 AM

jesus christ lol, it's like saying the bill represents the average day of a cop.

[Jay]
23-09-2010, 06:33 PM
The only reason those stories are printed is because lots of people are interested in things like that, they like to see people who have it all lose it all. I think its unfair not just for footballers but for all celebrities, someone's private life is their private life, just because their rich and famous dose not make it ok to expose that. After all they are simply doing their job weather its acting, singing or playing football. Thats what the media should focus on and not what happens behind close doors. I mean how would you feel if the media printed your private life and most of the time is completely untrue.

Moh
23-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Most of them want the media, just you don't get to choose between good and bad :)

They're ridiculously over paid, they know what they are getting themselfs into before the career, their own doing =]

Jessicrawrr
23-09-2010, 07:07 PM
They do what they do, they should face the consiquences.
I think it's wrong how they cheat on their wives, and they just seem to expect to be forgiven after their lover has been ridiculed.
It does fustrate me how they are some peoples role models, and they still do all of this; they should be punished for it!

Minstrels
23-09-2010, 08:15 PM
They do what they do, they should face the consiquences.
I think it's wrong how they cheat on their wives, and they just seem to expect to be forgiven after their lover has been ridiculed.
It does fustrate me how they are some peoples role models, and they still do all of this; they should be punished for it!
Too far in my opinion. Yes they're role models but at the end of the day they didn't choose to be, if they played in the Blue Square Premier North and cheated on a partner they wouldn't be hunted and "punished". If a bloke in an office cheats on his partner he doesn't get hunted down and punished for it. They all face the consequences if the partner they've cheated on finds out, it's their private life, not the clubs, not the media's, not the public's. Yes, gossip about it as much as you like but when you start talking about punishments for it then you're having a giraffe. How will you punish them? Will you make it illegal? Will you fine Wayne Rooney then fine your average Joe down the local office?

ifuseekamy
24-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Most footballers just pay for a gagging order to be put on the press if they really don't want a story to get out, especially if it's scandalous like a gay affair or something.

Johnysk8r
29-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes, footballer's lives should be publicised. As a professional footballer, you are pretty much a celebrity, and also a role model to the younger generation, especially the group that want to become footballer's as a career.

A footballer should know what is wrong. They know that if they're a popular, well-paid athlete then they will be closely watched by the media. If they **** up, then obviously a news report will come out exposing the footballer. I think that sometimes yes, it can have a detrimental effect on the sport, but it also warns other athlete's that if they **** up, there is a chance that it could become a front page headline.

Yes, I think it is sad when someone's life is being followed around quite extravagantly, but hey, you should kind of expect this. Yes a footballer / athlete is a normal person, like me and you. But they have a profession in which they will be closely monitored, a profession that is close to many people, a profession where people want to know about who they are.

Jessicrawrr
02-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Too far in my opinion. Yes they're role models but at the end of the day they didn't choose to be, if they played in the Blue Square Premier North and cheated on a partner they wouldn't be hunted and "punished". If a bloke in an office cheats on his partner he doesn't get hunted down and punished for it. They all face the consequences if the partner they've cheated on finds out, it's their private life, not the clubs, not the media's, not the public's. Yes, gossip about it as much as you like but when you start talking about punishments for it then you're having a giraffe. How will you punish them? Will you make it illegal? Will you fine Wayne Rooney then fine your average Joe down the local office?

As I said, they are role models people look up to them so if they want to do something like that they should expect it to come back and hit them in the face!
What I ment by punishments is getting caught, getting it publicised, it's the life they chose and they chose to live it that way!

SarahVictoriaaa
02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
This is what i keep saying, it none of the media's or our business what footballers get up to off pitch :/ Therefore, media shouldn't paste it on the front cover of every paper when something bad happens. Its just not fair x

sammy
02-10-2010, 04:56 PM
This is what i keep saying, it none of the media's or our business what footballers get up to off pitch :/ Therefore, media shouldn't paste it on the front cover of every paper when something bad happens. Its just not fair x

But the same thing would happen to any other celebrity if they did what they do! In my opinion footballers should just be treated like any other celebrity and should suffer the consequences for what they do.

SarahVictoriaaa
02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Yeahh but its none of our business! We wouldnt like it if it happened to us :S?x

sammy
02-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Yeahh but its none of our business! We wouldnt like it if it happened to us :S?x

If that's the case they shouldn't become footballers! :P

SarahVictoriaaa
02-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Lmao ;) Good point that but still its a profession its just like me wanting to be a drama teacher :D x

RedStratocas
03-10-2010, 09:04 PM
if the public werent really interested, journalists wouldnt feel the need to cover them.

and plus you sacrifice a portion of your privacy when you choose to become a public figure.

SarahVictoriaaa
04-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Yess i know that lmao :L But what i was saying is the media has nothing to do with it because you wouldnt like that to happen to you :L x

Cosmic
04-10-2010, 11:05 PM
This debate has now ended (if a little late). The top contributor will be announced shortly, as will the top contributors from previous debates.

Sorry for the backlog!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!