PDA

View Full Version : Dead mouse found in loaf of bread!

Technologic
27-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Follow the link for an oh so lovely picture: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-11419498

Firm fined after dead mouse found in loaf of bread

The dead mouse was embedded into the bread
A food production company has been fined nearly £17,000 after a man found a dead mouse in a loaf of bread as he made sandwiches for his children.

Stephen Forse, of Kidlington, Oxfordshire, had already used some slices when he came across the mouse.

Mr Forse purchased the loaf online, through a Tesco branch in Bicester in January 2009.

The food production company Premier Foods was fined a total of £16,821.14 at Oxford Crown Court.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

Initially I thought it was where the dough had not mixed properly prior to baking. As I looked closer I saw that the object had fur on it”

Stephen Forse
In July, the company, which makes Hovis bread, Branston pickle and Bisto gravy, admitted to having failed to maintain acceptable standards at its British Bakeries site in London.

Mr Forse said he had already used some of the bread when he noticed "a dark-coloured object embedded in the corner of three or four slices".

"Initially I thought it was where the dough had not mixed properly prior to baking," he said.

"As I looked closer I saw that the object had fur on it."

Mr Forse said he continued to prepare some sandwiches for his children and their friends from another loaf of bread.

"I checked carefully each slice in turn as I felt quite shaken," he added.

"As I was feeling ill I couldn't face eating anything myself. I sat with the children as they ate theirs."

Mr Forse contacted Cherwell District Council and environmental health officers visited the family's home to collect evidence.

During the visit one of them identified it as a mouse minus its tail.

"Her comments made me feel ill once again as there was no indication as to where the tail was," added Mr Forse.

"Had it fallen off prior to the bread being wrapped or had any of my family eaten it with another slice of bread on a previous day?"

Jordan
27-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Oh thats sick,
really sick

AgnesIO
27-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Even worse when you think the chances are a worked put it there.

Stephen
27-09-2010, 04:18 PM
actually i doubt the chances are a worker put it there lol It must of got into the factory and got caught in the machine, when they chop the breads into slices it probably chopped the tail off and someone else might have the tail in their loaf yum.

Disgusting how they don't check for stuff like that though :S

AgnesIO
27-09-2010, 04:19 PM
actually i doubt the chances are a worker put it there lol It must of got into the factory and got caught in the machine, when they chop the breads into slices it probably chopped the tail off and someone else might have the tail in their loaf yum.

Disgusting how they don't check for stuff like that though :S

Wouldn't be the first time a disgruntled worker has done something like that :L

The chances of it happening just seem so slim though :P

AlexOC
27-09-2010, 04:57 PM
This has happened before haha!

Aslong as it doesn't happen to me it's fine

,elaboratedolls
27-09-2010, 05:07 PM
ew.
I can never eat toast again...
o,o

Storking
27-09-2010, 05:37 PM
LMAO that is vile..

How could they completely miss a dead mouse being baked into their bread!

Deak
27-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Hmm, nice bit of extra meat with your bread ... Thats gotta have put that person off bread for like ever!

Special
27-09-2010, 05:44 PM
omg he said he used some slices before he discovered the mouse too errrrr

,elaboratedolls
27-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Like in the song:

I think I'm going to be sick - BLEAAAGH. [8]

Apple
27-09-2010, 06:09 PM
This is odd, there was a live conversation on Key 103 when I was in the car a couple of hours ago, they were speaking to someone that found a dead mouse in their loaf of bread. I just thought it was some random guy phoning in, never knew it had reached the news and got all this media.

Personally I think it is disgusting, obviously things like this can happen but it makes you question the hygiene of the factory this bread was made in.

wixard
27-09-2010, 06:14 PM
ugh i was hoping it would be brown bread or something so i could laugh

but it's white :( i love white bread

Deak
27-09-2010, 06:15 PM
* goes to check my loaf of bread *

I think they should have a really good look at the hygiene for the factory, making me feel a bit sick here

Calvin
28-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Squeakily soft bread, mmmm.

Jessicrawrr
28-09-2010, 07:18 PM
ew ew ew.
It's not difficult to miss a mouse in some bread?

Johnysk8r
29-09-2010, 09:10 AM
I saw this yesterday. It is quite sickening to think about it. It's like going into your local bread shop and seeing a cockroach lying dead on a cake or something, haha.
But at the same time, this story did make me laugh :P

Moh
29-09-2010, 12:40 PM
You can't really blame the factory since the whole process is automatic. There are only a doozen staff, if that monitoring the whole process.

Although, it's still a bit fishy how it got there, as from that photo it didn't get into the bread until after the cooking process ^_^

Martin
29-09-2010, 12:43 PM
That really is quite horrible! :O eughh I think that would scare me for life and I would be hacking into all my loaves of bread before eating them to ensure they were mouse free. :O

-:Undertaker:-
01-10-2010, 05:31 PM
I remember hearing not that long ago that a rat was found inside a McDonalds chicken burger, these things happen I guess - not much you can do.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!