PDA

View Full Version : Extra Storage Question!

Swastika
30-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I've got a few old computers in the loft, i was wondering would i be able to get one down and take out the hard drive and install it on my brand new desktop and use them as storage devices after i've formatted them?
I'd like to keep them internal instead of buying a case to use it as external.

Is it easy as plugging the hard drive in my new desktop and finding it in My Computer and formatting it then it can be used as a storage device?

Thanks everyone.

LMS16
30-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes, just make sure your new desktop pc has the required IDE/SATA connectors to do this, also make sure you have enough power adapters from your psu to power them.

You could also setup dual boot on your PC incase you get something that only runs in XP or windows 7? :)

Lew.

Swastika
30-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, just make sure your new desktop pc has the required IDE/SATA connectors to do this, also make sure you have enough power adapters from your psu to power them.

You could also setup dual boot on your PC incase you get something that only runs in XP or windows 7? :)

Lew.
Nah, i don't want that - i just want to use one to store 360 games on. :P

Jam
30-09-2010, 08:00 PM
It might not be worthwhile depending on their age. My 2002 dell (mid range) came with a 20GB so that would only store 4 (or 3 if your unlucky with the format type/size) 360 games on it. Your (most likely) better off go getting a terabyte hard drive for about £50 off Amazon or whatnot if that is the case.

HotelUser
30-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I have older computers that I would use as media storage or even small web servers for this and that.

However the power consumtion was always horrible and in the end it was cheaper and more simple to just buy an external hard drive. $80 for 1TB is not too shabby!

On the plus for using an old computer, though, you could do things like not only store your movies but install something like Winamp Orb to stream them everywhere.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!