PDA

View Full Version : Youtube copyright infringement

Firehorse
04-10-2010, 09:47 AM
On saturday I filmed some footage at a gaming expo (Eurogamer Expo) and uploaded a video of a glitch in GT5.

Today I found the same video uploaded to someone else's channel. I posted a comment asking them to remove it and flagged it for copyright infringement. But the message I get for flagging it was I had to be a law firm or something of that kind.

I wouldn't mind if it was a news channel or something or if polyphonic claimed copyright over it as it is their game, although until this happens the video rightfully belongs to me doesn't it?

What can I do about this?

Verrou
04-10-2010, 10:13 AM
Send them a cease and desist, worked for me one time. If that doesn't work, threaten legal action.

GommeInc
04-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Tell YouTube that it's your video, you do not have to be a law firm to demand action, so they're blatantly too lazy to do anything. Give them details about the video which would prove the other video is a copy, including when it was uploaded, size of the video, length and when the video was taken.

In short, you do not need to be a law firm ;) They're just too lazy to get up their e-arses :P

Also, question why YouTube even have the flag system - if a law firm is the only thing that uses it, then why have it free to use by the general viewing public?

And it is copyright infringement, a company like YouTube should know this. Again, just too lazy to do anything. Just harass them.

Firehorse
04-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the replies, i'll +rep if I can.

After looking further the channel it was uploaded to seemed to be the backup channel of some sort of redneck gamer, so I messaged his primary channel and will give him a day to remove it before contacting youtube.

Tbh i'm quite surprised at how many views it has on my channel - 14k in 2 days :O (and counting up at about 500 an hour)

Rapidshare
04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
How do you know it was your video? I was there myself with the press and my video was almost the same with the person next to me.. Anyways, As far I know, you werent meant to take videos at the Eurogamer, I was told to delete it which I did.

Anyways, this 'glitch', why post it on youtube pmsl? Everything you post on the internet will get copied.

Recursion
04-10-2010, 05:35 PM
How do you know it was your video? I was there myself with the press and my video was almost the same with the person next to me.. Anyways, As far I know, you werent meant to take videos at the Eurogamer, I was told to delete it which I did.

Anyways, this 'glitch', why post it on youtube pmsl? Everything you post on the internet will get copied.

Actually you were allowed to take video, just not on some of the games, i.e. the Zelda one. And it is his video seeing as I stood next to him whilst he took the video...

Firehorse
04-10-2010, 05:37 PM

There were only two games at the expo which the developers didn't want footage being taken of. GT5 was allowed.

Also I checked to see if anyone else was filming this and it was one other person and from a totally different angle.

Rapidshare
04-10-2010, 05:43 PM
eeek, I went on friday so might have been different or whatever.. I had a quick search and this popped up. I know people have had videos copied but never got them removed or such:S

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100315162043AAJXigN

It was a good event tho wasnt it? ;P. I ended up getting a fable 3 t shirt which was a medium..

The woman forgot to tell me it was a woman-fit medium :/. My girlfriend wasnt too happy with my suprise I could tell ya...

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 06:47 PM ----------

Go here...

http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_notice

Firehorse
04-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Update: Problem resolved after having a witness help prove I owned the video, although I must say with the following message from the uploader he didn't at all seem pleased.

Recursion
04-10-2010, 05:59 PM
eeek, I went on friday so might have been different or whatever.. I had a quick search and this popped up. I know people have had videos copied but never got them removed or such:S

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100315162043AAJXigN

It was a good event tho wasnt it? ;P. I ended up getting a fable 3 t shirt which was a medium..

The woman forgot to tell me it was a woman-fit medium :/. My girlfriend wasnt too happy with my suprise I could tell ya...

---------- Post added 04-10-2010 at 06:47 PM ----------

Go here...

http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_notice

I got a free Hunted T-Shirt, fits wonderfully ;) I wanted a RARE one though :( Oh well, got a free bottle opener, pen and mousepad LOL

Firehorse
04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
I got a free Hunted T-Shirt, fits wonderfully ;) I wanted a RARE one though :( Oh well, got a free bottle opener, pen and mousepad LOL

Mine doesn't fit... and it looks like it's a female one :( But the bottle opener works :D

N!ck
04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Shame they don't do any of this kind of event here :(.

Rapidshare
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Haha, glad you sorted it.

GommeInc
04-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Update: Problem resolved after having a witness help prove I owned the video, although I must say with the following message from the uploader he didn't at all seem pleased.
Upload a video of someone playing a very tiny violin playing a very sad song ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!