PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 9 gaining steam, sees 6 million downloads in September

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 01:06 AM
Microsoft’s newest version of its oft-maligned Web browser, Internet Explorer 9, was downloaded about 6 million times in September and has started gaining a good bit of momentum.

To Microsoft’s credit, the tech giant has tried a number of new marketing strategies, like posting a question-and-answer thread with the tech team behind IE9 on social news aggregator site Reddit that had nearly 3,000 comments. Microsoft even purchased advertising for IE9 on Reddit, a community that hasn’t traditionally been friendly to the black sheep of the browser family.

It’s not clear if those efforts to win over tech influencers had any impact on broader adoption. But bad buzz has seemed to hurt past Microsoft browser efforts. IE9 was downloaded more than 2 million times in the first couple of days. In comparison, the beta version of Internet Explorer 8 saw only 1.3 million downloads in five days when it launched in August 2008.

Microsoft is marketing IE9 as bringing out the “beauty of the Web,” suggesting that the IE9 experience was focused on websites, not add-ons and plug-ins. IE9 essentially strips down the Web browsing experience to little more than a window and a search bar. The new browser supports HTML5, the latest version of the HTML standard for Web pages, which is largely seen as a replacement for Adobe’s Flash technology that powers a number of popular video and game websites. IE9 also offers new features like “pinned sites” on the Windows Task Bar that show up as website icons.

IE9 also includes hardware acceleration — meaning it uses a computer’s graphics processor to render parts of a web page — which Google’s Chrome browser and Mozilla’s Firefox browser have yet to include.

Microsoft is also rolling out a new version of its search engine’s home page. The new Bing home page will take advantage of IE9’s HTML5 support to provide moving images as the background for the search engine and give users a reason “to just leave it up instead of moving on to the next site,” said Yusuf Mehdi, senior vice president of online audience business at Microsoft, at the TechCrunch Disrupt conference in San Francisco earlier this week.

O.o not bad :O I downloaded it and use it on Windows even though it's ****. Glad I don't use Windows much :D

KyoraStryker
05-10-2010, 03:41 AM
I don't know if I'd give it a try, simply because it is in fact still Internet Explorer

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 03:43 AM
I don't know if I'd give it a try, simply because it is in fact still Internet Explorer

It's actually not too bad. It's not as good as Safari on a mac. But the fact sometimes it forgets to load part of a page, or a whole page, is rather aggravating

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 04:19 AM
It's actually not too bad. It's not as good as Safari on a mac. But the fact sometimes it forgets to load part of a page, or a whole page, is rather aggravating

Sounds like an internet issue, not a browser issue.

That's a very small-minded view.

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 04:25 AM
Sounds like an internet issue, not a browser issue.

I don't get the same problem with ANY other browser, just IE9. I'm not disputing it's not good when it works, but it can be hit & miss.

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 04:29 AM
I don't get the same problem with ANY other browser, just IE9. I'm not disputing it's not good when it works, but it can be hit & miss.

Sounds like an internet issue, not a browser issue. (I have literally no problem w/ repeating this for a very long time)

ninja edit: or a computer issue, but not a browser issue

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Sounds like an internet issue, not a browser issue. (I have literally no problem w/ repeating this for a very long time)

ninja edit: or a computer issue, but not a browser issue

I don't see how it could be an internet/computer issue. If the only browser to do it is IE9. :S

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 04:42 AM
I don't experience the issue therefore it's not a browser issue.

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Or you're just lucky.

HotelUser
05-10-2010, 04:50 AM

Does ie9 support hover and curving divs with CSS now? I would try it myself but I'm not so sure I can install both ie9 as well as ie8.

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 04:59 AM
Does ie9 support hover and curving divs with CSS now? I would try it myself but I'm not so sure I can install both ie9 as well as ie8.

Yes and yes (i think). And yes you can.

Or you're just lucky.

If I'm not having the issue, the issue is your computer as computer programs don't "forget", they simply do as they're told, exactly as they're told, every time.

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 05:08 AM
Yes and yes (i think). And yes you can.

If I'm not having the issue, the issue is your computer as computer programs don't "forget", they simply do as they're told, exactly as they're told, every time.

Well it's definitely not my computer, because every other browser is ABSOLUTELY FINE. It might be the websites I am loading as I never specified the websites I was loading :l

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 05:13 AM
Well it's definitely not my computer, because every other browser is ABSOLUTELY FINE. It might be the websites I am loading as I never specified the websites I was loading :l

It's the computer. I assure you. You have my assurance.

marriott0.01
05-10-2010, 05:16 AM
It's the computer. I assure you. You have my assurance.

Well it pretty much can't be if every browser works.

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 05:46 AM
Well it pretty much can't be if every browser works.

Trust me on this. You do not understand what I am saying but I am right. If I am not having the issue it's your computer that is the problem. There is no other explanation. Unless there is. Which there probably isn't.

It's your computer I assure you. I will now reassure you.

I assure you it is your computer.

You are reassured.

(on a serious note: it is your computer, stop making excuses.)

Josh
05-10-2010, 06:04 AM
Pmsl Agnostic Bear.

6 million downloads? I downloaded it twice and it still doesn't work... crashing loop that I haven't been bothered to fix. It turned me off it. :(

Jahova
05-10-2010, 06:07 AM
I downloaded it and had a little mess about with it but I think I'll wait until it's fully stable. Seemed to crash regularly for me.

Mathew
05-10-2010, 06:25 AM
6 million downloads? I downloaded it twice and it still doesn't work... crashing loop that I haven't been bothered to fix. It turned me off it. :(
In that case, there's probably only 5 people that have tried to download it and they've all had to keep re-installing it :P

I tried to download it but it wouldn't for some reason. I couldn't be bothered to fix it so just went over to Firefox and downloaded that; best decision I've made in a while! :P

Recursion
05-10-2010, 06:42 AM
Works wonderfully on the first download for me, had no problems what so ever, don't know what people are doing wrong, Agnostic Bear is correct.

xxMATTGxx
05-10-2010, 06:53 AM
I didn't have any "real" problems during installation of this apart from Firefox being a noob, which isn't IE's fault and that the fact I didn't have certain updates installed on my computer system. I'm not going to blame IE9 for that, it's updates I needed to have and well it informed me of that.

Nalfar
05-10-2010, 09:56 AM
lol! pot, kettle?

Edited by HotelUser (trialist forum moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

Luke
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
it still sucks. i'm still having to use a different CSS sheet to Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari etcetc. Even IE8 works better. -.-

Agnostic Bear
05-10-2010, 11:39 PM
it still sucks. i'm still having to use a different CSS sheet to Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari etcetc. Even IE8 works better. -.-

Please make your coding standards compliant. This will rectify your errors. Thanks in advance.

AgnesIO
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Don't bother downloading it then - being so small minded will mean you will hate it even if secretly you like it..

---

Personally I didn't like it, prefer Chrome by far. Just my opinion.

Apple
06-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Tried it but in no way does it compete with firefox/safari/chrome. The only thing IE gets used for in my household is to download a better browser. :P

Luke
07-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Please make your coding standards compliant. This will rectify your errors. Thanks in advance.

Sorry. But for reference - it already is. Thanks.

Agnostic Bear
07-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Sorry. But for reference - it already is. Thanks.

http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html

Insert 1 coin to continue. (Also that table doesn't show the beta, which has better support.)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!