PDA

View Full Version : Really Pissed Off With My Virgin Broadband :(

Dragorn
08-10-2010, 08:27 AM
My family are on a 10mb broadbrand, but seeing that we got 4 computers in the house and my sisters on her pc 24//7, the download speed goes down so that means when i play the Xbox 360 online the online lags and usually i disconnect. Now, i can only play at night, because if i play now until tonight then the download speed drops which makes my connection terribly bad. Is there a way of stopping this, or making it atleast a little better? I was thinking maybe 20mb broadband would help it? Would it?

Richie
08-10-2010, 11:22 AM
Fibre power is pretty good, most companys do it & you get a download allowance of 250gb p/m with most companys.

LMS16
08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Get a new router :)

Lew.

Chippiewill
08-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Just make sure your sister isn't running any torrents, if she is then slap her around, problem solved.

Recursion
08-10-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't see the problem, we have more than 4 computers using the internet at the same time, not to mention phones, etc and lag isn't a problem for us at all, we're on a 6mb ADSL 2+ line from BT with nice and low ping times.

You need to have a go at whoever is downloading constantly or if no one is, a new router.

Firehorse
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm on a virgin media 10mb package (no fibre optics or anything fancy) and it's fine for me. A good four PC's in the house plus a ps3 and always get good speeds and mostly pings under 20. Possibly you're quite far from the nearest exchange and it's having an effect on your internet's performance.

Otherwise I agree the router can be a problem, last two routers we've had are brilliantly fast at the start and they slow down over time until it starts taking several minutes to connect and to the point where they don't want to connect anymore.

dbgtz
08-10-2010, 08:00 PM
see what your sister does, seriously it should not be that bad

and you might wanna see your actual speed on speedtest.

mb-group.net
16-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Your sister's use of the laptop shouldn't cause this. What is she using the laptop for? If it's just standard web browsing and IM you have a fault. Go and update the router firmware and if that doesn't work get a new router. Upgrading to 20Mb will not help with an issue like this.

Suspective
16-10-2010, 07:10 PM
aha

I always slow my houses internet down with my torrents

good thing my family aren't very advanced when it comes to computers

Stephen
16-10-2010, 09:38 PM
If family on other comps are using too much internet then get a router that supports limiting or whatever it's called so you can set the speed each comp on the network has

jack-bristol
16-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Join the club!

http://uploadir.com/u/8f3da345

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!