PDA

View Full Version : -Rep

Richie
08-10-2010, 11:17 AM
It sucks now, there's no point for it, if everytime someone reports a pointless -rep even when its valid. It gets approved and removed.

This isn't a poxy happy hospital, negative & positive things should be treated equally.

Art
09-10-2010, 01:12 AM
I agreeeeeee. Even if the rep is pointless, it still indicates that someone isn't so fond of you, meaning your reputation is actually lowered anyway. idno.

FlyingJesus
09-10-2010, 02:27 AM
I don't believe any rep ought to be removed, whether positive or negative. Some guy just doesn't like you? That's a hit on your reputation. Someone got your back in an argument about potatoes? Doesn't matter how stupid it is, that's a boost to your reputation. The entire point of such a system was and still ought to be a form of user moderation, being forced to pretend that everyone gets on has damaged that but removing negative rep is also a step in the wrong direction.

Reputation is reputation. It is not a currency, so someone lowering your score by 2 points isn't stealing anything from you, it's just showing your loss of social esteem.

Verrou
09-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Why isn't reputation just removed completely o_O It's pointless.

buttons
09-10-2010, 10:57 AM
it's been like that ever since i remember except you used to get your +rep off too
i bet you have more pointless +rep than -rep anyway

Samantha
09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I like -rep, I hardly ever use it. And when I get -rep I never report it, (well, I have never got -repped for a pointless reason) they have all be fair to me.

Rep isn't pointless, it highlights that someone has either done something to a good standard e.g. a graphic, or say a poorly alted .jpeg image etc.

Martin
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
I like -rep, I hardly ever use it. And when I get -rep I never report it, (well, I have never got -repped for a pointless reason) they have all be fair to me.

Rep isn't pointless, it highlights that someone has either done something to a good standard e.g. a graphic, or say a poorly alted .jpeg image etc.

Someone -repped me ages ago when I did a rubbish recolour thing, I found it kinda harsh since I was quite new and just trying out something new, but I kept it anyway. :P

I think the reputation system is alright really. It's been like it for so long and there's never really been any problems. Yes, a lot of people do report their reputation and it gets removed, however I think that this isn't always the case. I still have quite a few! I think -rep can be used in some situations for it's actual purpose and when it's used properly it makes sense to have it- it's just when people abuse it- it becomes the problem.

Alex3213
09-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I think the "Report Reputation Problems" thread should stay, but brandon should take a small little investigation if you get me, cos I agree with you that people report it because they've got a -rep, not because it is pointless.

I've had a few -reps and I think around 5 have been pointless and 3 haven't. I only report rep when I feel that it needs to be reported, so I have 3 -reps on my plate because they were fair, the other 5? I reported them, they were removed and I think they were fair. However, I have -repped some times (I actually don't do it that much) and people have reported it (cos I know the approx. time unless it was coincidence hehe) and I would deem it as fair. I think some people need to just live that their post was bad or whatever and that's that. Therefore, to try and put this post back onto a point, I believe -rep should stay, but it's far more "difficult" to remove. Also, I think brandon should do a 2 line PM (I know, piling the work on him, sorry! :() if it hasn't been removed explaining. This prevents "OMG HE JUST IS BEING LAZY!!!" and stuff. Also, I'm sure there are people who report -rep and have pointless +reps (I'm assuming but I would say the probability is rather high). I think these should be looked into as well throughout the last month because it's not fair getting rid of a pointless -rep without the +rep which is pointless going.

I'm tired, sorry if I'm talking crap.

AgnesIO
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
-rep should stay.

I only report -rep if it was things like 'learn to spell' or 'haha i hate you' - if you are going to -rep a post you should leave a clear reason why.

If you remove -rep you might as well remove rep completely.

For example my first ever two reps were both minus. They were:

- You are the biggest noob ever.
- Get a new habbo name.

If I got those now I would report them - as they have nothing to do with my post. Whereas I have had some for being rude - which is fair.

Art
09-10-2010, 01:38 PM
'learn to spell'

I think that example is perfectly fine. Your grammar and spelling affects your reputation and what others think of you.

FlyingJesus
09-10-2010, 02:00 PM
As does having a nooby Habbo name init xxMATTGxx

AgnesIO
09-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I think that example is perfectly fine. Your grammar and spelling affects your reputation and what others think of you.

Well yes, if I wrote like 'ma nme is dom init i is on 'abbo atm', I would understand. But in actual fact it was for spelling ONE word wrong (a mistype).

Apple
09-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Realistically, all that -rep does is promotes negativity around the forum. Most people only seem to -rep a post if they do not like the user, if they like the user then they probably won't leave a -rep. And when someone has received a -rep they will likely either do everything they can to get it removed or find a post to revenge -rep which they think they can get away with (or both). -Rep can often be the start of 2 people becoming enemies on the forum, it's just inevitable that if someone -reps you your attitude towards them may change which can end up sparking arguments etc. You just have to ask yourself (aimed at management); do you really want this kind of negativity around the forum? It's not always the case that -rep will lead on to worse things but it does seem to in a lot of cases. +Rep is fine, being the opposite all it can really do is promote positive things.

Storking
09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
-rep shouldn't be removed under any circumstances.. it's given for a reason, I don't see why people can't express their dislike of users posts/users through -rep (as long as there isn't a rude comment). We obviously aren't all going to like each other on the forum and giving -rep rather than having an argument in a thread is much better - and saying the -rep will cause arguments, i've never seen an argument over it so there really can't be that many? :P

if it just gets removed whenever someone complains through that thread then what is the point in even having it >_>

Callum.
09-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Most "pointless" -rep people complain about isn't really pointless.

Jessicrawrr
09-10-2010, 08:45 PM
i once got a -rep because I'm a Justin bieber fan.
I didn't report it though ;P
I don't get -reps (apart from that) but if it wasn't pointless then i wouldn't report it.
so -rep shouldn't be removed.

Special
09-10-2010, 08:56 PM
if you're getting rid of -rep you may aswell get rid of the whole repuration idea

i also agree -rep does get massivley abused and that the report reputation thread should stay. however i also think that brandon should look into the cases more

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!