PDA

View Full Version : Forum is murdering itself

myke
10-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Ok I've seen endless posts/people saying about not so many people are posting on the forum... why?

because the forum atm is shocking. it breaks every two minutes, you can't search for new posts, post threads or even replies without it dying halfway through.

why is the forum so slow? can it be fixed because it's even making me not post now, im going on other forums because they actually work (yn)

kty sorry if its already been posted

edit: it even just got stuck whilst im posting this thread 8-)

Mark
10-10-2010, 08:56 AM
I agree, it has been on my mind for a long time.

Samantha
10-10-2010, 08:57 AM
Agreed. I also had to change from the Autumn skin just so I could see all the comments on a thread because of stupid quick reply.

Alex3213
10-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Agreed and I am now going on other forums (which aren't Habbo related by the by) because they are working.

I think Richie has been a life saver to Jin tbh, I think without that radio everything would have been sorted.

Samantha
10-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I go on another Habbo forum, I only really post feedback, graphics enter competitions on here.
Same on there, but it works their's :D

Maybe speeding it up would work.
Surely now Welcome Comittee's dissolved it will help.

Recursion
10-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Because the amount of crap in terms of software the forum has to go through on the server is rediculous. Get some Nginx up and running to replace Apache, that'd be a start.

Here's lookin' at you Jin.

It actually gets harder to moderate posts, when I edit a post and then go to PM someone about it and it doesn't work it just makes me wanna leave it at that, you can't expect staff to do their job properly.

lTraditional
10-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I agree with this so something needs to be done. This is why most people are leaving Habbox for another fansite because the forum needs abit of fixing with updates.

wixard
10-10-2010, 09:13 AM
if we unban graham i heard the server will fix

Agnostic Bear
10-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Maybe speeding it up would work.
Surely now Welcome Comittee's dissolved it will help.
Not really, it's just a tiny bit of querying gone. It wont speed up the forum a noticeable amount at all.

Agreed and I am now going on other forums (which aren't Habbo related by the by) because they are working
Agreed again, I am also branching out to other forums as the quality of this forum is ridiculously low.

Because the amount of crap in terms of software the forum has to go through on the server is rediculous. Get some Nginx up and running to replace Apache, that'd be a start.

It actually gets harder to moderate posts, when I edit a post and then go to PM someone about it and it doesn't work it just makes me wanna leave it at that, you can't expect staff to do their job properly.
Absolutely. nginx would be a superior solution to the problems faced with the current issues. Also actually doing something about it would help.

I agree with this so something needs to be done. This is why most people are leaving Habbox for another fansite because the forum needs abit of fixing with updates.

Absolutely. If Jin was waiting for xenforo he's probably crying now as it turns out it's just more of the same old crap, just with some shiny new code styles. IP.Board is the way forward for this forum (But it wont happen as Jin ~*LOEVS*~ vBulletin/XenForo so much.)

Tintinnabulate
10-10-2010, 09:18 AM
Jin is still waiting for his tech buddies...

That wait wont be required soon as there will be no one on the forum.

RandomManJay
10-10-2010, 09:22 AM
The forum's been alright for me this morning :P. But there are some days where I have the temptation to throw my laptop out of the window because it takes so ******* long, then decided to give up :@. It should be a top priority but this problem's been going on for weeks.

Robbie
10-10-2010, 09:34 AM
I HEAR JIN FIXORZ IT SOON AWAY TOP PRIORITY OUT OF CONTROL ETC ETC SOON

Please hurry up Jin.

Alexx..
10-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Should make me manager i'd be boss ;) But yeah it's really annoying especially when i'm clicking on new posts then it takes ages THEN when it finally "works" it says habbox forum has broke check out our other websites -_-

Sarah
10-10-2010, 10:02 AM
I would agree that its not exactly helping the forum - if its crashing people would rather leave it come back later and try and post. Unfortunately is out of managements control and we're just waiting on Jin. :)

Tintinnabulate
10-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I would agree that its not exactly helping the forum - if its crashing people would rather leave it come back later and try and post. Unfortunately is out of managements control and we're just waiting on Jin. :)

Been waiting for a few months tbh. He has been back for a while now, and now he is waiting for his tech buddies. This wait will kill the forum.

Recursion
10-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Been waiting for a few months tbh. He has been back for a while now, and now he is waiting for his tech buddies. This wait will kill the forum.

Who are his "Tech Buddies"? I thought he managed the server alone.

Tintinnabulate
10-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Well all replies from Jin and mgmt say he is waiting for his tech buddies so ...

Robbie
10-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Think it's some uni guys or something idk

Nixt
10-10-2010, 10:20 AM

The last thing we were told by Jin is that he needs to get a friend or two together with him so they can optimise the server together and ensure that it is running at full capacity. It is naturally concerning for all involved that it hasn't been sorted already and also incredibly frustrating that it is taking so long - we can see the immense amount of damage it is doing to the forum but are not in a position to do anything about it.

All I can do is apologise profusely for the inconvenience and implore you to remain patient until such time as we get it fixed. I could also mention to Jin that it might be worth potentially having someone else to be "on call" as it were, ready to fix the server in emergency situations. I am sure there are people capable!

Tintinnabulate
10-10-2010, 10:22 AM
The last thing we were told by Jin is that he needs to get a friend or two together with him so they can optimise the server together and ensure that it is running at full capacity. It is naturally concerning for all involved that it hasn't been sorted already and also incredibly frustrating that it is taking so long - we can see the immense amount of damage it is doing to the forum but are not in a position to do anything about it.

All I can do is apologise profusely for the inconvenience and implore you to remain patient until such time as we get it fixed. I could also mention to Jin that it might be worth potentially having someone else to be "on call" as it were, ready to fix the server in emergency situations. I am sure there are people capable!

Maybe its time to direct him to such threads so he realises the forum is dying.

myke
10-10-2010, 10:24 AM

ask Jamesy, he's clever.

it is ruining it because im slowly merging onto other forums because this is getting boring and annoying now

Jamesy
10-10-2010, 10:29 AM
ask Jamesy, he's clever.

Oh dear lord no, if you want the entire server to go completely do that!

---

I'm being patient but it is pissing me off. Can people post? Can my staff do their jobs? Can I do mine? No, no and no. I'd like to think Jin has been emailing and phoning non stop to get people together. I'd personally like some form of ETA from him for when it can be sorted instead of just a long silence filled with questions we can't answer (we would love to be able to but we're in the dark here).

Chippiewill
10-10-2010, 10:35 AM
This thread is pointless, nothing can be done. Why bother complaining?

Robbie
10-10-2010, 10:37 AM

As is your post.

Nixt
10-10-2010, 10:56 AM

In fairness when it is made clear that the situation is becoming pretty dire - to the extent that Management are clearly saying that they have been pushed to the boundaries too - it is perhaps enough to make those involved think "Oh blast, actually this is a little more urgent than I originally thought".

This isn't even urgent, this is bordering on a crisis. It does need sorting promptly, but of course there are issues outside of our control / knowledge that I am sure Jin will expand on when he comes online.

Inseriousity.
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
If it was only on one site, it wouldn't be that bad but it's all 3! Can't do anything without worrying whether it'll be there at the end.

Recursion
10-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Maybe its time to direct him to such threads so he realises the forum is dying.

He won't take much notice of them. I'm also still annoyed about why he wouldn't allow the use of Tapatalk on the forum, it takes no effort at all to setup and provides a far nicer user experience than the mobile skins. It took 8 months to get a simple "No" out of him.

Storking
10-10-2010, 11:05 AM
This should be the top priority thing to be sorting out as everyone elses posts clearly show it's irritating/people and gonna start leaving for other fansites = r.i.p habbox

Surely jin can sort it sooner rather than waiting weeks and weeks for these 'tech buddies'

Apple
10-10-2010, 11:07 AM

I agree with this. Usually when the forum starts to die and won't load things I tend to leave my computer for a while and do something else. However when I am part way through dealing with a rule break I have to sit and wait it out which frustrates me. This problem is now becoming pretty serious, it could really have some long term effects such as loss of current members. It may also be preventing new people from joining, if they are browsing the forum and it's being slow and always freezing; are they going to join?

scott
Yeah I'm quite shocked that it's taken so long, normally when something goes wrong with the forum it gets sorted asap. It is a pain in the arse and obviously not helping anything like Tom said when trying to moderate sometimes takes about 10 minutes to do one thing while you wait for it all to load! I'm sure it's been about 4 weeks or more now so hopefully Jin will get it sorted prettyyyy soon!

Recursion
Why not use donator money and the like to buy a Managed server solution? The company will take responsibility of the server and it's resource usage. It would fix the problem and the forum wouldn't be relying on Jin to keep the server going.

Jordy
10-10-2010, 11:19 AM
What pisses me off the most is it's taken you all so long to realise relying on Jin is frankly ridiculous. For well over a year I've been highlighting the danger of having someone who's constantly away to wield all the power. Did it really not occur to anyone it cannot work like this?

Jin is forever away for various reasons. Whenever I've said that to him before he's carried on about how he needs to earn a living and have a life, that's all very well but if he cant dedicate to Habbox he should leave. And then he'll give the whole excuse that he pays for it, that's all very well too but it doesnt mean you need to ruin it for everyone else.

Frankly Jin can do no wrong and he's too much of a power-freak to trust anyone else to sort technical issues. I've no doubt he gets some sort of buzz that the whole forum relies on him.

R.I.P. Habbox

Nixt
10-10-2010, 11:29 AM
I've PM'd Jin a moment ago with a link to this thread and an outline of the problems (and severity thereof) that this issue is having across all three Habbox Sites. It is a concern of ours and hopefully he will see that this is actually a really serious problem and he will at least give us an indication as to when and how this will be fixed.

Martin
10-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I really hope it's sorted soon. I thought when the server issues first started and Jin came back from his holiday things would be sorted straight away, but it seems it's more complicated or something. It really is a pain, and as others have said it's not just the forum that's suffering. It's becoming rather hard to post news/content onto the site without losing it mid-way or other problems occuring and things seem to be breaking a lot easier.

I think as Jamesy said, the thing that's most concerning is the lack of communication. It would be nice to at least know what kind of time scale we're looking at, because quite frankly a lot of things are going downhill, and in the run up to halloween/christmas and of course V6, really it's not good for the basic things of Habbox to be going downhill. I know Jin is always very busy, he takes on a lot and of course needs his spare time, however this is really quite a pressing situation and I think once we get the official word from him on what's occuring we can look ahead. Once the sites are sorted, I think we need a really big push in terms of getting things active again. Yes, a lot of the problems are being caused by the server and people getting fed up of months of waiting for a better posting experience- I would like to hope that once they're sorted we can try and get some of the activity back up, and look at ways of promoting the sites more.

Just to add, we've been having terrible problems with images on the site lately, which I have a feeling is lag related, and this makes it a lot harder for staff to do their jobs properly I think.

I think this is just one of those unfortunate things really, and hopefully one that will get sorted soon. I would urge people to stick with us, and this really is out of most peoples control at the moment.

Josh
10-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Okay I can understand Jin is probably busy, but where the hell is MattG? No offence to him but I haven't seen him post in any of these threads yet he is on Skype? Surely in a borderline crisis (Garion's words) such as this, the general manager of Habbox, the next step down from Jin is present.

Recursion
10-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Okay I can understand Jin is probably busy, but where the hell is MattG? No offence to him but I haven't seen him post in any of these threads yet he is on Skype? Surely in a borderline crisis (Garion's words) such as this, the general manager of Habbox, the next step down from Jin is present.

Jin doesn't give the required access out to anyone. There is nothing Matt can do to fix this.

Josh
10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Jin doesn't give the required access out to anyone. There is nothing Matt can do to fix this.

He can at least answer threads about it and other issues about habbox (hxhd feedback thread). All I can see if Garion firing around trying to cater for everyone in the threads.

Storking
10-10-2010, 11:40 AM
But he'd only be repeating what other management are saying really..

Felix
10-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Yeah Wiizzz Jin and sierk are the only ones who can fix this and by the looks of things i think sierk will be contacted soon and he will fix it

Josh
10-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Yeah Wiizzz Jin and sierk are the only ones who can fix this and by the looks of things i think sierk will be contacted soon and he will fix it

I understand and knew that already, he could at least be posting in the threads.

Felix
10-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Though I must say today it has been a tad faster, but it drops out after a while.

Apple
If Jin is busy thus being away most of the time, Matt should have Jin's contact details so he can phone him about more urgent things such as this and get instant answers. The way it appears to be now is that you can PM Jin about something but not get a reply for a long time due to his inactiveness.

Recursion

Sierk will have nothing to do with Habbox apart from help fund it AFAIK.

Felix
10-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Yeah well the day pigs fly is the day a topic will be made by sierk or jin about this issue.

---------- Post added 10-10-2010 at 11:47 AM ----------

Yeah well the day pigs fly is the day a topic will be made by sierk or jin about this issue.

So its up to matt to inform us

xxMATTGxx
10-10-2010, 11:53 AM
The reasons why I haven't been posting will come out at later date, sooner rather than later. But this thread isn't for that, Jin is aware of the server problems and If I remember correctly he also mentioned the support for the server was from was also ********. So I guess we are having problems on that side to. I'm not sure what the full on latest is with that but once General Management know, I'm sure one of them will inform you all.

emotional
10-10-2010, 11:56 AM
This server could be optimized in a few hours by one experienced guru.

Job done.

Recursion
10-10-2010, 12:28 PM
This server could be optimized in a few hours by one experienced guru.

Job done.

It's already been optimized, far, far too much.

emotional
10-10-2010, 12:31 PM

I could argue against that judging by the current degraded performance, but I don't know about the history here so I'll just leave it at that.

Chippiewill
10-10-2010, 12:36 PM
It's so optimised that it doesn't bother sending packets any more :P

Recursion
10-10-2010, 12:40 PM
It's so optimised that it doesn't bother sending packets any more :P

LOL.

I could argue against that judging by the current degraded performance, but I don't know about the history here so I'll just leave it at that.

You can have too much of a good thing! :P

GommeInc
10-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Absolutely. If Jin was waiting for xenforo he's probably crying now as it turns out it's just more of the same old crap, just with some shiny new code styles. IP.Board is the way forward for this forum (But it wont happen as Jin ~*LOEVS*~ vBulletin/XenForo so much.)
Don't mention IPB, you'd get abuse. I mentioned IPB and he wasn't happy, even though Invision Power know how to make a forum, seeing as most of the IPB features have been there years before they appeared on vBulletin, and they tend to work :P

Not that a move to IPB would happen... ;)

And what's this about tech buddies and "optimising the server?" Surely it should just work, what on earth did he do to it to make it so bad? I think this is proof that Jin should hand over the keys, and that Habbox shouldn't be wasting money on whatever plan this is. There are cheaper solutions out there, some with companies that offer these services too. I'm amazed I missed this responsibility hand over to Jin, who is very rarely on and just the one person is a dreadful choice, for a website that is huge. It's amazing Habbox is even Official, did we pay for that?

Robbie
10-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I think Yonder has/used to have access to the server, but he, also, is always away. As others have said, I really think it's about time Jin trusted someone enough to give them full server access. I'm not talking about just anyone, but a trusted person who has the knowledge

I know Jin was online the other day to post a detailed brief of what needs coding for v6.

Habbox isn't a HUUUUGE site, the current server should be fine unless its being ran from a home pc or something... There's obviously a serious server issue and someone needs to get their arse in gear o fix it asap. If the supplier won't help, jump ship (unless you're unmanangrd)

Recursion
10-10-2010, 01:22 PM
The current server is huge overkill for Habbox as it is, there is no reason the sites should run slowly from what I've gathered from various people.

Chippiewill
10-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I heard phpBB3 was pretty efficient and doesn't use many resources .. (Prepares for pitchforks and torches)

Edit: It can has handle 1000 people! http://www.minecraftforum.net/

GommeInc
10-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I heard phpBB3 was pretty efficient and doesn't use many resources .. (Prepares for pitchforks and torches)
Smart Machines Forums were kinda cool, you could have a news section. PHPBB3 just seems like IPB 1.6, back when Invision Power let people have free boards with loads of advertisements. IPB 3.1.2 is where it's at ;)

Recursion
10-10-2010, 01:44 PM
IP.Board is way awesome. Habbox should move to it.

Chippiewill
10-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Why not just use a comments script and just have one massive conversation?

Robbie
10-10-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.habbox.com/scripts/serverload.php

LETS ALL HAVE SOME SERVER LOAD STATISTICS EH

emotional
10-10-2010, 01:57 PM

That's not dangerous!! :(

Chippiewill
10-10-2010, 02:07 PM

= Not helpful

Robbie
10-10-2010, 02:10 PM
= Not helpful

EDIT: Forget it no point arguing with you.

N!ck
10-10-2010, 02:18 PM
A server of half the specifications of the current one could easily run Habbox's sites if properly set up.

Where is the issue? Databese queries?

I assume there's a properly set up PHP cache running such as APC, eAccelerator or XCache?

Jamesy
10-10-2010, 02:24 PM
As far as I'm aware it uses xCache.

Chippiewill
10-10-2010, 02:26 PM
EDIT: Forget it no point arguing with you.

It's not in context, for all I know this is the number of complaints per minute which are being made about the server.

Robbie
10-10-2010, 02:35 PM
It's not in context, for all I know this is the number of complaints per minute which are being made about the server.

Hint: AVERAGE LOAD

Stop being so pedantic.

Recursion
10-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Hint: AVERAGE LOAD

Stop being so pedantic.

Resource usage means nothing in this case. The simple fact is, too much optimization doesn't have the effect Jin obviously think it has.

As N!ck and me have said, this server is batent overkill for Habbox's needs, this is actually somewhere Habbox could cut spending... :P

Nixt
10-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Resource usage means nothing in this case. The simple fact is, too much optimization doesn't have the effect Jin obviously think it has.

As N!ck and me have said, this server is batent overkill for Habbox's needs, this is actually somewhere Habbox could cut spending... :P

I think it was upgraded because the server we had before was exploding monthly. Steady upgrades took place each time it suffered and then the decision was made to just go wild so that wouldn't become a problem. If it would be beneficial to look at something on a smaller scale though it should happen. Priority should currently be getting the current server fixed though. I don't pretend to understand it all but I know one thing - it's darn annoying for everyone involved that's for sure.

Robbie
10-10-2010, 03:13 PM

Meh, maybe it never was optimized and Jin lied and now it needs work doing. :P

Recursion
10-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Meh, maybe it never was optimized and Jin lied and now it needs work doing. :P

HE LIED TO US ALL THIS TIME?! :O

-walks out on him-

jk

Carlsta
10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Jin has been messaged this thread and I will speak to him when he comes online... i've contacted him and he is on his way home so i will give him the low down too!

HotelUser
10-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Jin has been messaged this thread and I will speak to him when he comes online... i've contacted him and he is on his way home so i will give him the low down too!

I think it's safe to assume at this point that there will be a million and one people asking him to fix the server :P

Sharon
10-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Facebook just loaded quicker than this thead.. and there was only one post on this page. - Bare in mind I clicked HabboxForum first.

Please hurry.

Special
10-10-2010, 06:18 PM
this has been mentioned time & time again.. i myself mentioned it about 3 weeks ago and nothing has changed what so ever so why should i believe it will be fixed soon?

Recursion
10-10-2010, 06:36 PM
this has been mentioned time & time again.. i myself mentioned it about 3 weeks ago and nothing has changed what so ever so why should i believe it will be fixed soon?

Simply put, don't.

Nixt
10-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Okay so, spoken to Jin on this matter and got a bit of clarification. Bear with me, I am not technically minded but, in noob speak: the server requires some fiddling in order to fix it, this involves Linux. Jin sorted out someone highly recommended in the world of Linux to fix it, but they have failed to do so - hence why Jin was unaware because he thought that it was being fixed. This individual has now been given an ultimatum if not there is a back up company we will be falling back on to fix the server if it doesn't happen very soon.

Long story soon, the wheels are in motion and it should be fixed in the near future.

Tintinnabulate
10-10-2010, 07:18 PM
He won't take much notice of them. I'm also still annoyed about why he wouldn't allow the use of Tapatalk on the forum, it takes no effort at all to setup and provides a far nicer user experience than the mobile skins. It took 8 months to get a simple "No" out of him.

I am sure he said he would test it? But I presume he never did.

Why not use donator money and the like to buy a Managed server solution? The company will take responsibility of the server and it's resource usage. It would fix the problem and the forum wouldn't be relying on Jin to keep the server going.

They don't get ALOT from donor. And the VIP system is all wrong. I have suggested how to bring in more income in a clever way and still give out VIP but they refuse to listen. If management want to know how then they are free to PM me and I will explain once again.

What pisses me off the most is it's taken you all so long to realise relying on Jin is frankly ridiculous. For well over a year I've been highlighting the danger of having someone who's constantly away to wield all the power. Did it really not occur to anyone it cannot work like this?

Jin is forever away for various reasons. Whenever I've said that to him before he's carried on about how he needs to earn a living and have a life, that's all very well but if he cant dedicate to Habbox he should leave. And then he'll give the whole excuse that he pays for it, that's all very well too but it doesnt mean you need to ruin it for everyone else.

Frankly Jin can do no wrong and he's too much of a power-freak to trust anyone else to sort technical issues. I've no doubt he gets some sort of buzz that the whole forum relies on him.

R.I.P. Habbox

sierk handed it to Jin as sierk lacked time. Now its time for Jin to give full power to the GM - the same power nvr and MAD had.

Nooo idea.

If Jin is busy thus being away most of the time, Matt should have Jin's contact details so he can phone him about more urgent things such as this and get instant answers. The way it appears to be now is that you can PM Jin about something but not get a reply for a long time due to his inactiveness.

Matt already has Jins mobile number.

Matthew
10-10-2010, 08:54 PM
I strongly agree with the above posts, as a moderator your job is based around editing, posting usernotes, sending pm's and infracting. Each of those processes requires the loading of a new page, and once you've started the infraction process (for instance you've just edited the post), you can't really stop. So if the forum starts failing, you can't just say "**** it, i'll do this infraction later", you have to carry on. It's really annoying when you have to wait for ages for each page to load, and sometimes you have to wait out that period of time 4 times (one for each of the processes). Its really hard to do your job :l

-Danube-
10-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah it does seem to have been really slow lately.

In regards to the comment about people always saying the Forum is 'Dieing', i think it's what is called a 'self fulfilling prophecy' where people start saying something and due to this it actually happens, i think you could pin this on the whole of Habbox. There are no stats to say Habbox is failing, there are no stats to say Habbox is doing amazing, so i think people say such comments are just damaging. I mean even if we did loose most our of members, we are still here? It's only a Habbo fansite, it's all for fun. There's no purpose for it, it's not a business. Aslong as it's bringing a few people together and provides information for just 1 person, it is still successful.

Robbie
10-10-2010, 09:48 PM
self fulfilling prophecy
Sociology education unit :P

Felix
11-10-2010, 12:22 AM
The reasons why I haven't been posting will come out at later date, sooner rather than later. But this thread isn't for that, Jin is aware of the server problems and If I remember correctly he also mentioned the support for the server was from was also ********. So I guess we are having problems on that side to. I'm not sure what the full on latest is with that but once General Management know, I'm sure one of them will inform you all.

Thanks matt, uhm maybe post this in the announcements because that is were everyone will look.

Sammeth.
11-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Its a shame that the server is playing up, as it seems to be the biggest cause of the angst on here (I'm summing up from what I've seen in the last few hours and my lovely informants). Hopefully something will be done soon. I'm gonna be honest, I haven't read the last 8 pages so don't really know what the progress is on the situation. But it would be shame for this to be the reason of such detriment to a pretty good reputation.

rnix
11-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Either its sorted and saved or the habbox ship will sink.
I'm already thinking about signing up to clubhabbo.

gangstaagent1
11-10-2010, 03:48 AM
It was really bad tonight but it's getting frequent now..

KyoraStryker
11-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Perhaps I jumped on the train right before it hit the end of the line?

I'm relatively new here (obviously), but in the amount of time I've been here, I've seen what seems to be the long-time staff members leaving. And after browsing through countless threads, it appears that the forums are destined to fail, with both Habbox and HabboxLive to follow in very short order.

Maybe it's not too late to talk to a friend of mine about that head DJ position at another site...

Recursion
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Perhaps I jumped on the train right before it hit the end of the line?

I'm relatively new here (obviously), but in the amount of time I've been here, I've seen what seems to be the long-time staff members leaving. And after browsing through countless threads, it appears that the forums are destined to fail, with both Habbox and HabboxLive to follow in very short order.

Maybe it's not too late to talk to a friend of mine about that head DJ position at another site...

It's up to you, but IMO this forum is worth waiting for to be fixed. It is by far the friendliest, most active forum around.

KyoraStryker
11-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Oh trust me, I'll be sticking around for a bit.

Rapidshare
11-10-2010, 04:20 PM
We need someone with the da balls around here.

xxMATTGxx
11-10-2010, 04:47 PM
As you can see from the notice at the top of the forum.

The Habbox Server will be undergoing urgent maintenance (woop woop) for the next 72 hours. It may go down for periods of time but I'm sure we're all used to that by now.

Thank you for your continued patience!

Habbox Management

So good news in regards of the server!

Dean
11-10-2010, 04:52 PM
72 hours is a long time of ups and downs :(

Mathew
11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I wonder if there'll be a significant difference. If there is, I'll see you all in 3 days :P

Hecktix
11-10-2010, 04:56 PM
72 hours is a long time of ups and downs :(

It's been about 2 weeks of up's and down's already, we can put up with 3 more days and then hopefully we'll be all fast and happy :D

Dean
11-10-2010, 04:58 PM
It's been about 2 weeks of up's and down's already, we can put up with 3 more days and then hopefully we'll be all fast and happy :D

This is true but hopefully the next 72 hours won't be worse than the previous 2 weeks!

Agnostic Bear
11-10-2010, 05:38 PM
Here's to hoping for nginx/lighttpd and IP.Board.

Ok I'm joking about IP.Board.

Robbie
11-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Here's to hoping for nginx/lighttpd

I second that motion.

beth
11-10-2010, 05:43 PM
this forum is dying regardless of technological issues.
you need a major overhaul of everything. it just seems a sham.

N!ck
11-10-2010, 06:29 PM
A properly optimised apache won't be far off the performance of nginx. Of course, it will use much more RAM than nginx. Would probably take a lot of time and effort to switch too.

I've tuned the hell out of my apache config and nginx is now only something like 5% faster (I can't use nginx as the PHP cgi wrapper is unstable for my application).

Agnostic Bear
11-10-2010, 07:17 PM
A properly optimised apache won't be far off the performance of nginx. Of course, it will use much more RAM than nginx. Would probably take a lot of time and effort to switch too.

I've tuned the hell out of my apache config and nginx is now only something like 5% faster (I can't use nginx as the PHP cgi wrapper is unstable for my application).

I'll give you a quote from a blog I was just reading:

Andreas Schipplock said:
“I appreciate your work but you are comparing a Suzuki Swift with a Lexus LS and that’s simply because Apache is dynamic in any respect and that’s what lighttpd and nginx are missing though it makes sense they exist. In fact you can even trim Apache down to the state of lighttpd and nginx but then again you would loose a lot of functionality which is mandatory in most setups.”
--------------
I’d say he’s comparing a Lexus LS and a Ferrari (if we must compare to cars). The Lexus does have a lot of niceties that the Ferrari doesn’t, but it’s also not tunable to get to 190MPH either. It isn’t just a simple case of removing the seat heaters to “trim it down”. There are deep design decisions that affect the ability of the Lexus to reach those speeds.
Similarly, Apache is process-based and Nginx (and Lighttpd) are asynchronous. This means that under load, Apache is guaranteed to do one of two things (most likely both): use tons of RAM or drop requests, because of the inherent overhead in using threads (specifically stack allocation and context-switching). Nginx and Lighttpd were written specifically to address the problems facing threaded servers under heavy load. Apache’s problems under heavy load aren’t the result of featuritis, but rather a deep architectural problem that can’t be easily addressed. On the other hand, both Nginx and Lighttpd can (and certainly will) eventually adopt all the features of Apache without heavy penalty.

N!ck
11-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I'll give you a quote from a blog I was just reading:

True. But when you cut all the extra crap and gear apache towards doing specifically what you want it to do it is fast. Though with the underlying design of both, no it's never going to be as quick as nginx and nginx isn't ever going to have the features of apache.

And apache can handle loads of requests if tuned for that environment. It's shared hosting environments where it's downfall is when handling loads of simultaneous connections (Litespeed webserver is a great apache replacement for shared hosting).

It can handle 20,000+ concurrent downloads on a single server :). http://www.stdlib.net/~colmmacc/Apachecon-EU2005/scaling-apache-handout.pdf

immense
12-10-2010, 04:42 PM
this forum is dying regardless of technological issues.
nail. on. head.

Callum.
12-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Has donator decreased?

Think it'll be interesting how much donations are received this xmas.

Pyroka
12-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I think the real problem is, everyones so bored of their normal lives so they've built up this whole thing that Habbox is going downhill & that it'll be dead and all this.

and peeps are actually believing it.

its like global warming all over again!!!!!!!!! :(

Mathew
12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
I daresay posts in Habbox Feedback are up this month, due to the management changes and Habbox problems :P:P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!