PDA

View Full Version : MacBook and MacBook Pro

Yupt
10-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Can someone explain to me what more I would get for my money if I bought a Macbook Pro instead of a Macbook?

Be aware that I am v. dumb when it comes to computers, so the few big words the better :P

Angel-Light
10-10-2010, 03:17 PM
What would you be using the Mac for? Travel a lot? Use it as a main computer?

Yupt
10-10-2010, 03:22 PM
What would you be using the Mac for? Travel a lot? Use it as a main computer?

Preferably as a long time use laptop, i.e use it for the rest of my GCSE's and A-levels. So school, music and films, for use as a general laptop so internet etc.

HotelUser
10-10-2010, 03:35 PM
The Macbook not pro has a satisfactory battery life and I love it's form factor over the pro. The only real differences are cosmetic ones and a slight spec bump. I think a MacBook should serve you well, unless you were big into gaming or did anything incredibly intensive on the computer, but from what you've said I'm not sure that's what you intend to use it for :P

Yupt
10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
The Macbook not pro has a satisfactory battery life and I love it's form factor over the pro. The only real differences are cosmetic ones and a slight spec bump. I think a MacBook should serve you well, unless you were big into gaming or did anything incredibly intensive on the computer, but from what you've said I'm not sure that's what you intend to use it for :P

Thanks David ;D
I'll see what my neighbor suggests, as he's got a fairly high up job in Apple, (might even get me a discount) ;)
The macbook non pro is cheaper aswell, so im all smiles there.

AgnesIO
10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Have you looked at other laptops? As looking at what you want it for, you would be able to get a windows laptop that allows the same things etc, but cheaper.

Dean
10-10-2010, 04:40 PM
The MacBook Pro has a bigger screen and obviously a better graphics card, better for gaming.

I have a MacBook and the new iMac 21.5 inch so I find that the MacBook does me fine.

People often comment on the screen size of the MacBook (because it's 13 inch) but it is a perfect size.

The MacBook Pro also looks like it's capable of slicing wrists (it's metal, right?).

AgnesIO
10-10-2010, 05:02 PM
The MacBook Pro has a bigger screen and obviously a better graphics card, better for gaming.

I have a MacBook and the new iMac 21.5 inch so I find that the MacBook does me fine.

People often comment on the screen size of the MacBook (because it's 13 inch) but it is a perfect size.

The MacBook Pro also looks like it's capable of slicing wrists (it's metal, right?).

Being serious..

Mac and gaming do not go.

Dean
10-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Being serious..

I game quite easily on my iMac? I don't see the problem.

xxMATTGxx
10-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Being serious..

I game quite easily on my iMac? I don't see the problem.

Depends on what terms you two mean by gaming. It could be normal gaming or some serious hardcore gaming that requires a good graphics card and so on. I would agree that gaming on the Mac platform has improved thanks to Steam and bringing some of the games out they have such as Left 4 Dead and so on, it's nice for the Mac users to finally have a chance of playing some decent games but I wouldn't say it would be the best platform to choose for gaming.

Dean
10-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Depends on what terms you two mean by gaming. It could be normal gaming or some serious hardcore gaming that requires a good graphics card and so on. I would agree that gaming on the Mac platform has improved thanks to Steam and bringing some of the games out they have such as Left 4 Dead and so on, it's nice for the Mac users to finally have a chance of playing some decent games but I wouldn't say it would be the best platform to choose for gaming.

I agree, I use my PS3 for most stuff but if I wanna play Counter Strike Source or HL2, then I have Steam on my iMac.

Special
10-10-2010, 05:16 PM
why would you need a macbook/macbook pro just for general internet use?

you could quite easily get a decent laptop for 300/400 pounds

Recursion
10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
As much as gaming on Macs have improved over the past few months, I still boot into Windows on my MacBook (non-pro) for on-the-go gaming.

In your circumstances I would definitely get a MacBook, you'll get so much more for your money.

(Typed on my MacBook for all you who want to start an argument :P)

HotelUser
10-10-2010, 05:26 PM
As much as gaming on Macs have improved over the past few months, I still boot into Windows on my MacBook (non-pro) for on-the-go gaming.

In your circumstances I would definitely get a MacBook, you'll get so much more for your money.

(Typed on my MacBook for all you who want to start an argument :P)

Improved? Really? My iMac begins to cry when I try to play Team Fortress on it :P

Recursion
10-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Improved? Really? My iMac begins to cry when I try to play Team Fortress on it :P

Try bootcamping Windows onto it, you'll find games run much better on Windows on a Mac (no joke).

HotelUser
10-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Try bootcamping Windows onto it, you'll find games run much better on Windows on a Mac (no joke).

Yeah, it runs amazingly in Windows :P

Apple
10-10-2010, 05:41 PM
For what you would use it for; the MacBook would suffice, at the same time saving you a few quid!

It's funny how gaming always gets brought into threads when people are considering buying a mac when the OP never actually mentions anything about gaming. :P

I can play Runescape in the highest settings on my mac so I'm happy, it doesn't really bother me that I can't play high end games as I use my PS3 for that...

AgnesIO
10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
For what you would use it for; the MacBook would suffice, at the same time saving you a few quid!

It's funny how gaming always gets brought into threads when people are considering buying a mac when the OP never actually mentions anything about gaming. :P

I can play Runescape in the highest settings on my mac so I'm happy, it doesn't really bother me that I can't play high end games as I use my PS3 for that...

Let's be honest, by gaming most people (well probably on here they do), but anyway runescape isn't really graphic intensive :L

Personally, since you don't actually need anything the mac offers in paticular, I think you would be better getting a windows machine - mind you I suppose you prefer the OS or something?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!