PDA

View Full Version : IT Help +Rep

Huggies
13-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Hey, I'm 15 and currently in year 11.
For 6 form, and hopefully rest of life i'm wanting to do IT.
I kinda need help like were to start? What do i look for in collages i'm completely lost?
I need some help, like what grades do i need? What programming language shall i learn?
Shall i download Oracle? What's Oracle (My uncle told me about it, kinda.)

All help is appreciated! Thanks!

Samantha
13-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Erm, really do't you just need 5 GCSE's
You don't even need an ICT gcse.
You could search for a technology college or IT college or something?
Do you want to do 1 AS level ICT, or a BTEC, National Diploma etc?

Huggies
13-10-2010, 07:06 PM
See this is where im confused, thats why im trying to look into this.

My teacher told me its time i start doing research, but im no sure where to start.

tm
13-10-2010, 07:08 PM
You can do IT/businessIT at Uni without any A-levels in IT or Computing or Business.

Learn Java. Nothing else matters really.

If you want to do more web sort of stuff I advise learning all the languages (that aren't old) on www.w3schools.com starting with html.

Huggies
13-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Im more into Computers or Graphics, But i want to take the computer route. So you recommend learning java? Were shall i start etc :).

More info ploxxx

tm
13-10-2010, 07:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29 isn't a bad very first starting place to learn more about what Java is.

Most schools/colleges/6th forms will teach Java in 'computing' courses.

Nemo
13-10-2010, 07:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_%28programming_language%29 isn't a bad very first starting place to learn more about what Java is.

Most schools/colleges/6th forms will teach Java in 'computing' courses.
Unless they do AQA, in which case you'll learn either pascal (if your teacher is a ******) or vb 2005

tm
13-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Yeah, I did vb6 in A-Level computing and Level1 Degree IT. Wasn't aware anyone still taught Pascal tbh.

Java is the superior and far more useful language and you should look for courses that do it.

Huggies
13-10-2010, 07:41 PM
+Rep to you both.

Also where shall i start then :o.

VB or Java?

Recursion
13-10-2010, 07:58 PM
If you want to go the Uni route I suggest finishing your GCSEs and going on to A Levels to do a science like Physics and definitely Maths. I made the mistake of not doing either and am having to take a foundation year at Uni to get my maths up there.

Or you could go to College after GCSEs, it really depends on what kind of IT career you want in the future.

Nemo
13-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I did vb6 in A-Level computing and Level1 Degree IT. Wasn't aware anyone still taught Pascal tbh.

Java is the superior and far more useful language and you should look for courses that do it.
Well according to matt (cocaine), some still do ahaha.

+Rep to you both.

Also where shall i start then :o.

VB or Java?
Well im finding VB a very easy language to learn, so could be useful to get to grasps with coding in general, and then move onto java later. See what others have to say though

Recursion
13-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Oh also, I also suggest learning Java and/or C/C++, both are much more useful than VB in terms of Uni (and I presume College?)

Huggies
13-10-2010, 08:03 PM
If you want to go the Uni route I suggest finishing your GCSEs and going on to A Levels to do a science like Physics and definitely Maths. I made the mistake of not doing either and am having to take a foundation year at Uni to get my maths up there.

Or you could go to College after GCSEs, it really depends on what kind of IT career you want in the future.

Kay, well im not sure, do you think programme design is a good path to go down? Or what? Can you give me some suggestions?

Well according to matt (cocaine), some still do ahaha.

Well im finding VB a very easy language to learn, so could be useful to get to grasps with coding in general, and then move onto java later. See what others have to say though

KAy, ill probally give Java a go, any good sites i can start from?

Recursion
13-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Kay, well im not sure, do you think programme design is a good path to go down? Or what? Can you give me some suggestions?

KAy, ill probally give Java a go, any good sites i can start from?

I don't recommend learning Java from sites, yes it's possible, is it practical? No :P

I recommend a good ol' fashioned book! :P http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sams-Teach-Yourself-Java-Days/dp/0672329433/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1287001159&sr=8-3

Huggies
13-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Ahh, yeah i was thinking of buying : Java for dummies from waterstones for £24.99 :P but is it worth it?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!