PDA

View Full Version : My school is pathetic!

Jessicrawrr
13-10-2010, 07:37 PM
My school's going mad about the uniform, which is disgusting.
last year we were able to wear cardigans and jumpers without getting excluded - yes excluded, and now we aren't even able to wear them under the disgusting blazers we have to wear.
year elevens are allowed to wear cardigans, they're trying to improve our school, which isn't going to happen; our school is terrible.
Does anyone else think this is over the top?

Thread moved here by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): From 'Discuss Anything'.

Samantha
13-10-2010, 07:43 PM
If it's winter then yes you should be allowed.
The only exception that should be made is in summer, a cardi or jumper does not substitute for a blazer x

Describe
13-10-2010, 07:49 PM
If everybody is being forced to wear the same thing then you wont look out of place and it wont really be a problem. I don't understand people going off on one about uniforms, they are to represent your school, a place in which you learn. What are you going to do if you have a job and have a strict uniform policy? Just get on with it really!

Huggies
13-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Are school, we can only wear Black cardigans yes im year 11, but if you were it and don't bring your blazer, straight to exclusion.

Jessicrawrr
14-10-2010, 03:21 PM
you go to school to learn, not to make it look better and wearing a cardigan isn't affecting your education

Suspective
14-10-2010, 03:25 PM
aha

we used to have uniform slips - it was worse for girls
if they were caught with a shirt to high, they'd have to wear trousers lmao

Alkaz
14-10-2010, 03:33 PM
I think that the school are obviously trying to improve your school, rebelling against it isn't going to help is it. School uniforms are there so that everyone is 'equal', also when you're in your school uniform you're meant to be representing the school. Wearing jumpers over your blazers etc doesn't really make the pupils or the school look particularly great for letting it happen. Yes it is going into winter, I'm sure the school have no objections to people wearing coats to and from school. If you school doesn't have a jumper as part of the standard uniform which you should wear under your blazer, perhaps go to the school comity or your tutor to ask about getting it changed. That way everyone would be expected to wear their cardigan or jumper as part of the uniform as well as your school blazer.

dbgtz
14-10-2010, 03:42 PM
My school is completely opposite to yours, we can pretty much do **** all with our uniform with very few teachers that ask you to sort it out and if people do it multiple times nothing happens. My school suck in terms of uniform when it comes to additional stuff (hoodies, jackets) the **** heads can get away with it whereas those who obide the school rules except that one get a ******* ear full. I think therefore what youre school is doing is good and year 11s should get some benefits (if they deserve it), my school used to have loads of stuff for year 11s now its just you get to use this room at lunch and break which noone can use because all the chavs and ***** clog it up so they just get ****** if you go in there and i cba to deal with that.

You may think it is over the top, but not long ago people would get the cane (or something) for doing something of equal value so...

Samantha
14-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Well, I was going to reply yet again to this thread earlier but I didn't bother coming home for my free in College.

Throughout my high school experience upto year 11 no one ever wore a skirt, I mean no one in the whole entire school apart from teachers and now loads wear them. They were neve agaist the rules, but some people wear them too high, but nothing gets done. Apart from once, my Science teacher told the headmaster that when this girl bent over you could see her bum, so there was somthing done about it.

What happened was in year 11, people began wearing cardigans and the higher authority in the school began to allow it, as they weren't doing any harm. However, because we were in year 11, and had been moved to a smaller tutor group, a lot of people in our year began wearing blue, red, green cardigans, the lot and didn't get told off.

The onl benefit we had when we were in year 11 really, was when we had almost reached our end time at high school we could come in anything to be honest.
Also, the canvas shoes/pumps were not allowed in any other years but ours, as long as we didn't wear any other colour than black.

So basically, your school is in a unity (learnt that from media :P) you wear the same sort of clothes, this deprives other students from laughing or mocking if you can't afford expensive clothes etc. But overall, I feel a cardigan or jumper should be allowed underneath the cardigan, but like I said, not if it is going to substitue the blazer.

Conservative,
14-10-2010, 05:15 PM
My school uniform is disgusting but I live with it. I wear a jacket to school when its cold but meh I don#t see the need for a cardigan or hoodie underneath. Some ppl in my year (10) wear hoodies but they get yelled at lol.

Personally I dont see the point in school uniforms but I live with them lol.

AgnesIO
14-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Are you saying the uniform is disgusting, or that it is disgusting they are getting strict on it?

Personally, I think your attitude about it is quite sad.. uniform has so many positives - and banging on about uniform being disgusting is hardly the schools fault. You chose to go to the school.

Special
14-10-2010, 05:41 PM
school have rules to be followed - what are you going to do when you hav e a job & they have uniform you don't like? are you going to wear a cardy over that?

as for the year 11's, they're more grown up than you so they're more relaxed about them. at our school only them could be alowed out of school at dinner & were able to go into dinner whenever they liked. did we all like it? no of course not, but again school have rules to be followed, you just have to deal with it.

Stihl
14-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Im from canada, and go to a Catholic highschool, the only school where you are required to wear a uniform, they arent that bad, but because im in my senior year, (12) they dont really care about much to do with uniform. i usually wear a sweater, my uni shirt underneath, my navy trousers, and they dont say much.

Apple
14-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Our uniform rules have also got much stricter this year. After 3 weeks of avoiding the stricter teachers I had to give in with my trainers and buy some proper shoes. It's just not worth the hassle really, if you are cold then you have your outer jacket/coat? Unless your classrooms are freezing then there is no excuse really.

Jessicrawrr
14-10-2010, 06:20 PM
We aren't allowed to wear jackets, i understand that because they are completley out of place.
My point is that the black cardigan isn't out of place, our school is terrbible anyways, year elevens are the worst year to be quite honest, my year is one of the best for following the rules, attendance, uniforms ect.
Even some of the teachers agree that they are going over the top, last year the uniform that was written down in the A-Z thingy was;
White shirt
Black Trousers
Tie
Black Cardigan/Jumper (Optional)
Blazer.
lots of people at my school agree.

Stihl
14-10-2010, 06:22 PM
hmm, its hard for me to understand what you need to wear in england, over here, the winter we get -35 degree celcius. yes, BELOW zero, and its bloody freezing to walk to school.

matt$
14-10-2010, 06:24 PM
College ftw? wear whatever i want tbh, but i'll tell you now i felt like wearing non-uniform made me do less work for the first 2 weeks.

Jessicrawrr
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
they're getting worse now, black chunky school shoes, not ballerina type shoes, not full black sannies, and if you don't have them you get sent home and your not allowed to return until you get the shoes!

AgnesIO
01-11-2010, 09:03 PM
We aren't allowed to wear jackets, i understand that because they are completley out of place.
My point is that the black cardigan isn't out of place, our school is terrbible anyways, year elevens are the worst year to be quite honest, my year is one of the best for following the rules, attendance, uniforms ect.
Even some of the teachers agree that they are going over the top, last year the uniform that was written down in the A-Z thingy was;
White shirt
Black Trousers
Tie
Black Cardigan/Jumper (Optional)
Blazer.
lots of people at my school agree.

What year are you?

Oleh
01-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I think my situation was sort of on the same level. Y11 - May this year, We had clip on ties and im not exactly skinny so fitted shirts or bigger shirts were not an option and i couldnt fasten my top button, this bloke who nobody liked tryed getting me put into seclusion till i got new shirts, i debated with him saying you'd rather me spend money on shirts for 2 months or potentially ruin my gcse's and he said yes.
I got out of it cos the person he took me to (house manager) shared a room with a friend of my aunties who ive known for a while and she got me through :) even my media studies teacher said "how sad does your like have to be that you go around looking wether your top buttons fastened"

We lol'd, Your situation is sort of on par of stupidity, if its not noticiable why change it

wiktoria
02-11-2010, 08:08 PM
My school is terrible too. We aren't even allowed to wear scarves unless it has our schools logo on. How pathetic is that? We can't wear headbands unless they are black. I don't get why we aren't allowed because we obviously won't have our scarf on in lesson lol.. It doesn't even spoil the uniform just makes our school look really strict and apparently good lol

MissAlice
02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
A uniform is in place for a very good reason. As someone said earlier in this thread, it makes every pupil equal in appearance, it's a dress code, similar to that of the forces. Presumably no one is better dressed, or expected to keep up with the latest fashions or trends, or mocked for their clothing. You shouldn't be able to tell whether someone comes from a poor or wealthy background. Also when you go on a school trip, with 30 or 40 pupils, you can be more quickly identified in a crowd. Finally school is a place to be taught, and not a fashion show. You are still you, whatever you wear. Aren't you?

If you have a problem with the school dress code, surely you have year representatives who can take on your concern assuming others feel the same. Change only happens if you challenge what you think is wrong.

wiktoria
02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
By the way I don't mind that we have to wear our uniform it's just I don't really want a scarf with my school logo on :P

Jessicrawrr
02-11-2010, 09:43 PM
Im in year nine, and we'd look the same, but with different type black shoes, they're just getting picky by telling us which shoes we need to have, my dad went out and bought some mahooooosive brick shoes and they were £18, went back today and your allowed to wear ballerina shoes again so im not happy.

I'm in a group called ssig (student school improvement group) and as soon as we brought up uniforms they shunned the idea away saying there was wayy more important things in school than uniform, and we was like wtf why is the school getting so obsessed with it!

Parents are protesting against it and everything, should be quite fun.

dbgtz
02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
A uniform is in place for a very good reason. As someone said earlier in this thread, it makes every pupil equal in appearance, it's a dress code, similar to that of the forces. Presumably no one is better dressed, or expected to keep up with the latest fashions or trends, or mocked for their clothing. You shouldn't be able to tell whether someone comes from a poor or wealthy background. Also when you go on a school trip, with 30 or 40 pupils, you can be more quickly identified in a crowd. Finally school is a place to be taught, and not a fashion show. You are still you, whatever you wear. Aren't you?

If you have a problem with the school dress code, surely you have year representatives who can take on your concern assuming others feel the same. Change only happens if you challenge what you think is wrong.

I agree with this completely. The only thing is, in my school they're completely hypocritical, allowing some students to wear what they want and they're like troublemakers aswell which isn't really fair. I think the main problem with school uniform is not the uniform itself but the fact they do not treat all students equally.

Callum.
02-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Don't think you can deny that a strict uniform policy makes a school look much more credible.

crazed
02-11-2010, 10:57 PM
Don't think you can deny that a strict uniform policy makes a school look much more credible.

This.

You said that they shunned the idea of you changing the uniform.. Why should you need to/ want to... It's only clothes. I had to wear a brick red Blazer in high school.. Everyday, without fail. And I did. I wasn't happy but you get on with it. You're at school to learn not be the next best thing on the cat walk..

Conservative,
02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
What clothes you wear doesn't affect your education.

And also, if someone wants to bully another person they'll find a way. Example; shoes, haircut, state of their uniform (2nd hand), school bag, jacket.

Numerous things can be picked out. If the school use he prevention of bullying as an excuse then they need to force everyone to wear the same shoes, jackets, have the same hair and have the same bags. And no that isnt realistic so that won't be happening therefore the whole point of uniforms is void.

syko2006
02-11-2010, 11:59 PM
An exclusion is a bit silly for not wearing uniform. :S Bit harsh.

I'd be pretty outraged if I had to wear school uniform like that because in my school we don't wear school uniform at all. Ever.

Judas
03-11-2010, 12:00 AM
What clothes you wear doesn't affect your education.

And also, if someone wants to bully another person they'll find a way. Example; shoes, haircut, state of their uniform (2nd hand), school bag, jacket.

Numerous things can be picked out. If the school use he prevention of bullying as an excuse then they need to force everyone to wear the same shoes, jackets, have the same hair and have the same bags. And no that isnt realistic so that won't be happening therefore the whole point of uniforms is void.

you're missing the point.

just because you would be ok with it, it doesnt mean that someone from a poorer background would be. they could be self conscious about what they're wearing cos its not fashionable, and it would take the attention away for what you're at school to do, learn.

its not about being bullied but if someones wearing clothing thats second hand or not fashionable they will get more stick for it than having a 'bad haircut'. and like you said making pupils all have the same haircut, shoes etc isnt realistic. but a uniform is. it identifies what school you are and makes you a part of it. and like already said many times, when you go to work you will have a uniform so get used to it.

saying all that i dont actually mind my school uniform so...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!