PDA

View Full Version : Deciding Christmas Charity

Mrs.McCall
17-10-2010, 05:39 PM
I was told to make a separate thread.

Anyway, everyone is able to nominate a Christmas Charity here. (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=670420)

Last year it was divided between a bunch of Charities as there didn't seem to be one clear winner. I propose that if this is similar that we try and choose just one. This way a charity gets a true sizable donation.

The way we could do that is the top 3 nominated (and supported) will be taken to a poll and whoever originally nominated them can explain why they did. Then the forum decides and the winner is the charity that gets the money.

I think it is great being able to support many charities but with the recession and financial difficulties, charities are relying greatly on larger donations.

Just an idea!

Dean
17-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I think that a poll is a good idea.

Mr-Trainor
17-10-2010, 05:42 PM
I agree with having a poll.

Suspective
17-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeah it will make it a bit easier to organize to surely.

Special
17-10-2010, 05:48 PM
i think a better idea would be to see which 5 are the most nominated in the thread, then they go into a poll and the top 2 or 3 or whatever are the official charitys for this year

(the numbers were just an example)

Mrs.McCall
17-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah I think 2 charities at most so we can really make a difference.

Con
17-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Yeah I agree, choosing 2 charities will be the best way to make a large difference to both charities. I'm sure with a few polls everyone could agree on 2 charities to use.

flatface
17-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I think we should have 2 charities too

Inseriousity.
17-10-2010, 06:11 PM
lol I disagree tbh cos I tend to prefer the tescos slogan 'every little helps' and quite liked the 5 charities system last year. But it wouldn't be the end of the world to narrow it back down so whatever happens I'll support. At the end of the day, supporting charity's a good thing whether it's 1 or 100. :D

Mrs.McCall
17-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah that's true but it's all about impact especially in this economy.

Jin
17-10-2010, 07:47 PM
This year it has been decided that we will be supporting only one charity the top 3 charities emerging from that thread will go to vote.

We also won't be offering the traditional christmas vip instead we are considering offering the normal VIP colours however they will have their own "sparkles" similar to those who have achieve "Habbox god" status on the forum so it can be distinguished between normal vip and charity vip.

We also will be introducing a new target this year for the supported charity in an attempt to beat the last years donation.

Con
17-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I think having two charities will open it up to more people, like people will want to donate to the charity of their choice and of their preference really?
Plus you'll then be making a difference to more than one charity.

Callum.
17-10-2010, 07:59 PM
This year it has been decided that we will be supporting only one charity the top 3 charities emerging from that thread will go to vote.

We also won't be offering the traditional christmas vip instead we are considering offering the normal VIP colours however they will have their own "sparkles" similar to those who have achieve "Habbox god" status on the forum so it can be distinguished between normal vip and charity vip.

We also will be introducing a new target this year for the supported charity in an attempt to beat the last years donation.

I like this idea. Go through with it, you have my blessing.

Jin
17-10-2010, 08:04 PM
I hope people don't become besotted over "christmas" and only suggest charities that do things for people during christmas. In reality Habbox doesnt make its donations to charities until after christmas. I personally hope for a childrens charity this year.

Mr-Trainor
17-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Sounds good to me :) I like the option to buy any regular VIP color, although with the sparkles, so hopefully the 'sparkles' will be good :P Maybe there could be one (or maybe two) new VIP colors which are being released only this Christmas. Although saying this, I understand that there is not many more colors you can choose from without them being similar to others, plus the fact that it limits the colors which can be used in the future.

Mathew
17-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Niceeeeeeeeee :)

I still want the Habbox God sparkly name though :'(

Mrs.McCall
17-10-2010, 09:00 PM
I like the sparkles idea but hope you offer the silver xmas colour too. I likes it.

Well I'm glad that it is only one charity!

Phil
17-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I hope people don't become besotted over "christmas" and only suggest charities that do things for people during christmas. In reality Habbox doesnt make its donations to charities until after christmas. I personally hope for a childrens charity this year.

AGREED, I definately think it should be for children.

Mrs.McCall
17-10-2010, 11:46 PM
Me too. The charity I nominated (Make A Wish) is one close to my heart so I hope it at least gets in the top 3.

Alex3213
18-10-2010, 06:14 AM
lol I disagree tbh cos I tend to prefer the tescos slogan 'every little helps' and quite liked the 5 charities system last year. But it wouldn't be the end of the world to narrow it back down so whatever happens I'll support. At the end of the day, supporting charity's a good thing whether it's 1 or 100. :D

OI! Martin won't be impressed!

Anyway I'm actually not bothered about the situation for the last sentence you have mentioned, Mike. Ideally, I think 3 charities is a reasonable amount but yeah, I don't mind as we're making a difference! :D

FlyingJesus
18-10-2010, 07:19 AM
As long as it's not bloody RSPCA or something, and yeah sparkly names sound good but I do rather like the silver. One charity is a much better option in my opinion, I'd go for something medical as first choice but more than happy for it to be a children's charity if (as I expect) it proves to be the most popular

Tintinnabulate
18-10-2010, 09:03 AM
I was told to make a separate thread.

Anyway, everyone is able to nominate a Christmas Charity here. (http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=670420)

Last year it was divided between a bunch of Charities as there didn't seem to be one clear winner. I propose that if this is similar that we try and choose just one. This way a charity gets a true sizable donation.

The way we could do that is the top 3 nominated (and supported) will be taken to a poll and whoever originally nominated them can explain why they did. Then the forum decides and the winner is the charity that gets the money.

I think it is great being able to support many charities but with the recession and financial difficulties, charities are relying greatly on larger donations.

Just an idea!

They appreciate all donations, small or large. I think last year was a great idea, people can donate to the charity they want. That way they all get a bit of money.

Josh
18-10-2010, 09:11 AM

This is great! I wasn't looking forward to buying the traditional christmas VIP. The normal colours are great and sparkles is just a great touch. I'll definitely be buying a lot especially if it goes to a charity that improves lives TODAY. I'd rather donate to people who need it and need to improve their lives than donate to cancer research (which is important).* flame shield*

Tintinnabulate
18-10-2010, 01:33 PM

Good decision. The Christmas VIP is ugly which has always put me off buying it. I will be sure to buy now =].

mr.tom
18-10-2010, 02:29 PM
i disagree

Pointless posting, please refrain from doing it. ~ Recursion (Forum Super Moderator)

AgnesIO
18-10-2010, 03:08 PM
OI! Martin won't be impressed!

Anyway I'm actually not bothered about the situation for the last sentence you have mentioned, Mike. Ideally, I think 3 charities is a reasonable amount but yeah, I don't mind as we're making a difference! :D

And I get my VIP :P

I like the idea of coloured ones this year - bored of my xmas VIP. Shame it goes on until May!

I will buy anther years worth when it is released though x :)

Mrs.McCall
18-10-2010, 04:35 PM
They appreciate all donations, small or large. I think last year was a great idea, people can donate to the charity they want. That way they all get a bit of money.

Well obviously they're gonna appreciate any donations and I think no matter how little people can give to charity they should but what I mean is, a larger contribution is going to have a greater effect.

immense
18-10-2010, 04:36 PM
NO. XMAS VIP IS BEST COLOUR. OFFER IT AS WELL.

Mrs.McCall
18-10-2010, 04:37 PM
I agree. I like the colour =[

immense
18-10-2010, 04:37 PM
p.s. i do care about charity too. honest.

Alex3213
18-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Surely the x-mas VIP could be offered in addition?

Con
18-10-2010, 05:05 PM
or why not have like top 2/3 charities again and have one being the original christmas VIP colour and the other being another colour? (Instead of offering up all vips with that nasty sparkle over the top)

Blob
18-10-2010, 05:08 PM
I would like to see the Christmas VIP being sold so I can add it to my colour changer (and raise money for charity while its on there!)

AgnesIO
18-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I would like to see the Christmas VIP being sold so I can add it to my colour changer (and raise money for charity while its on there!)

Perhaps there could be a sort of VIP+ scheme, it is just normal VIP but you can swap between the colour you have and xmas VIP?

Mr-Trainor
18-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I would like some kind of VIP+ to go on sale. Since it's all for charity, I do not see why it wouldn't be permitted by Habbo!

Molly.22
18-10-2010, 06:41 PM
My post has magically gone!

Anyway, I think we should go for a charity like Barnardos, they are really good and a worthy cause to give to. I also like the idea of giving to Cancer Research or even Macmillian Cancer Reasearch again.

Apple
18-10-2010, 07:35 PM
I would like some kind of VIP+ to go on sale. Since it's all for charity, I do not see why it wouldn't be permitted by Habbo!

Agree with this. If Christmas VIP+ was to go on sale I would certainly be buying a good few months worth.

Jin
18-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I didnt think anyone actually liked Christmas VIP I think it's a bit rank!

Not so sure about the vip+

Bare in mind that vip+ costs:

Month(s) / Cost (£)
1 / 3
3 / 8
6 / 14
12 / 26

Also would mean I will need to make the sms system a little bit more robust to account for it.

immense
18-10-2010, 10:55 PM
I thought XMAS vip colour was one of the most loved.

nvrspk4
18-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Speak for yourself, people loved it!

AgnesIO
19-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Not so sure about the vip+

Bare in mind that vip+ costs:

Month(s) / Cost (£)
1 / 3
3 / 8
6 / 14
12 / 26

Also would mean I will need to make the sms system a little bit more robust to account for it.

Well yes, but VIP+ is awesome (:L) - and £26 for one years 'full membership' (if you count it as that) isn't that much. It's even cheaper if you buy it off someone else for hab furniture ;)

I think people loved the fact it was exclusive for most the year.

Chippiewill
19-10-2010, 09:24 PM
I hope for a children's charity too..

But I want multiple charities ideally, it's a bit more interactive that way..

Apple
19-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Here is how I look at it:

You choose 20 random people that tend to donate and buy VIP when possible. If you only offered out regular VIP at christmas which I think is £1.50 a month, you would make £30. However if you were also offering VIP+, if only 5 out of the 20 choose to buy VIP+ for £3 a month, you have instead made around £38. Remember that is only if each member buys a 1 month subscription, if they all bought 2 months the difference would be £60 and £76. Four months each would be £120 and £152 etc.

So my point is, even though VIP+ might only be bought by a few members, you will be making more money on the whole if you also have VIP+ on sale.

nat965
20-10-2010, 06:52 AM
I like this idea. :)

Sorry if this is going off topic, not sure if I should post a new thread, or post here.
Anyway, as not everyone is from the UK, maybe, when deciding a charity, maybe pick a charity which is known to Australia/New Zealand & United States/Canada as well, you might get more donations that way (this isn't really directed at Habbox Management).

Jin
20-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Really?! I thought it all looked a bit erm depressing okay spose we will have to bring that back also.

I like this idea. :)

Sorry if this is going off topic, not sure if I should post a new thread, or post here.
Anyway, as not everyone is from the UK, maybe, when deciding a charity, maybe pick a charity which is known to Australia/New Zealand & United States/Canada as well, you might get more donations that way (this isn't really directed at Habbox Management).

I can only think of Unicef anyone else have any ideas?

nvrspk4
20-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Really?! I thought it all looked a bit erm depressing okay spose we will have to bring that back also.

I can only think of Unicef anyone else have any ideas?

Make a Wish Foundation
Save the Children

AgnesIO
20-10-2010, 09:26 AM
What about one national charity for each country?

FlyingJesus
20-10-2010, 09:30 AM

Yessss let's get my Gambian courgette charity up and running at last since TRP promised it if they won that election thing

AgnesIO
20-10-2010, 09:39 AM
Yessss let's get my Gambian courgette charity up and running at last since TRP promised it if they won that election thing

I am referring to the countries in the .com merge

immense
20-10-2010, 10:20 AM

We are teenagers. We love depressing.

I think it should go to lifeboat people. They're fabulous.

nat965
20-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I think that would be better, imo.

Alkaz
20-10-2010, 12:31 PM
We are teenagers. We love depressing.

I think it should go to lifeboat people. They're fabulous.
Ohh the RNLI, good suggestion.

immense
20-10-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I really like those big boats.

Chippiewill
20-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Actually a charity from every .com is a good idea, habbox is now a habbo.com fansite, not a habbo.co.uk fansite, you need to keep on top of these things. I think you can only have a UK charity with a US, CA, and AU charity (Plus an international charity?) from now on.

Mrs.McCall
20-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I say we do Make A Wish in every country *grin*

www.wish.org/ = US
www.make-a-wish.org.uk/ = UK
www.makeawish.org.nz = NZ
www.makeawish.org.au/ = AU

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!