PDA

View Full Version : Idiot

Calvin
17-10-2010, 09:44 PM
I thought you were allowed to call people idiots, I'm sure it was somewhere in feedback before? Tara just called someone an idiot in a thread and got banned for it? :S

myke
17-10-2010, 09:45 PM
i thought the rule had changed too :o

Nemo
17-10-2010, 09:48 PM
i think ppl should be able to express their opinions about others, aslong as it doesnt get personal or racist then it should be ok

Richie
17-10-2010, 09:48 PM
I thought it was

you could ask someone a question, for example:

Are you stupid hoteluser?

not

your stupid hoteluser

cos he could reply to the question with yes or no

Jamesy
17-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I thought it was

you could ask someone a question, for example:

Are you stupid hoteluser?

not

your stupid hoteluser

cos he could reply to the question with yes or no

Hmm I have to say that sounds more familiar. I don't believe we've ever simply allowed people to call each other idiots - it's still rude whichever way you look at it.

Con
17-10-2010, 09:50 PM
It depends on the situation.
If it was used in a way which was deemed as targetting a forum member or in an offensive manner then it would be the moderators choice on how to deal with it?

Richie
17-10-2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=610471&page=1&highlight=idiot

Calvin
17-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Hmm I have to say that sounds more familiar. I don't believe we've ever simply allowed people to call each other idiots - it's still rude whichever way you look at it.I don't think she deserved an infraction, the most she should get is a PM/warning. Is there actually anything in the rules about calling people idiots?

Jamesy
17-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think she deserved an infraction, the most she should get is a PM/warning. Is there actually anything in the rules about calling people idiots?

A1. Respect other forum members ~ Always respect other forum members, this means do not be rude towards them and respect their opinions. You should not bully or victimise other members for any reason and you should not behave in a negative manner excessively.

I think that covers it :)

flatface
I don't think she deserved an infraction, the most she should get is a PM/warning. Is there actually anything in the rules about calling people idiots?

*REMOVED*

o/t yeh its harsh

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to other forum members

Nemo
I dont get it, if u dont want ppl being rude then why not just filter idiot since thats what management seem to be doing with anything midly offensive, coz lets be honest most ppl just use idiot as an insult.

or we could just do what i said above and not be so "OMG HE CALLED ME AN IDIOT :'( :'( :'(" about it

Martin
As far as I'm aware there has been no rule change, and calling someone an idiot is against the forum rules. It's singling someone out and targetting them in a negative way. It's completely uncalled for, will cause further arguments and it's a pleasant thing to be happening.

We have a PM, warning, infraction system in place and that has been followed here. The rules say "Respect other forum members". Calling them an idiot is not.

Richie
17-10-2010, 09:57 PM
As far as I'm aware there has been no rule change, and calling someone an idiot is against the forum rules. It's singling someone out and targetting them in a negative way. It's completely uncalled for, will cause further arguments and it's a pleasant thing to be happening.

We have a PM, warning, infraction system in place and that has been followed here. The rules say "Respect other forum members". Calling them an idiot is not.

but the person might actually be an idiot

Idiot is a Telugu film which released on 22 August 2002 and was directed by Puri Jagannadh. This film stars Ravi Teja and Rak****a. This film was a big hit in 2002.This film was a remake of the Superhit kannada movie Appu.

HOTELUSER YOU TELUGU FILM

dnt ban me :'(

Jamesy
17-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I dont get it, if u dont want ppl being rude then why not just filter idiot since thats what management seem to be doing with anything midly offensive, coz lets be honest most ppl just use idiot as an insult.

or we could just do what i said above and not be so "OMG HE CALLED ME AN IDIOT :'( :'( :'(" about it

Because it can be used non offensively. It's all down to context. The only words that are filtered are ones that are bad in all contexts. In regards to your last point, Martin has summed it up beautifully.

Martin
17-10-2010, 09:59 PM
but the person might actually be an idiot

Enciting the argument/accusation is still causing the problem. You could say the same about the scamming/hacking rule. You may know they are so and so, but accusing them of this and name calling is going to cause upset and arguments which is unpleasant on the forum. It's the same in this case, and even starting the argument/targetting is seen as being rude.

If we allowed everyone to insult other forum members the forum would become a more negative place full of arguments and unprovoked attacks.

If you have a problem with a moderator or their decision, you can contact the relevant people, calling them an idiot in a thread certainly isn't going to help.

flatface
17-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Because it can be used non offensively. It's all down to context. The only words that are filtered are ones that are bad in all contexts. In regards to your last point, Martin has summed it up beautifully.

Well that's not entirely true, an example being the word bitch, there are other words too which can be used in a non offensive context

Apple
17-10-2010, 10:02 PM
Calling someone an idiot is rude, no doubt about it. Rule A1:

A1. Respect other forum members ~ Always respect other forum members, this means do not be rude towards them and respect their opinions. You should not bully or victimise other members for any reason and you should not behave in a negative manner excessively.

Nemo
17-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Enciting the argument/accusation is still causing the problem. You could say the same about the scamming/hacking rule. You may know they are so and so, but accusing them of this and name calling is going to cause upset and arguments which is unpleasant on the forum. It's the same in this case, and even starting the argument/targetting is seen as being rude.

If we allowed everyone to insult other forum members the forum would become a more negative place full of arguments and unprovoked attacks.

If you have a problem with a moderator or their decision, you can contact the relevant people, calling them an idiot in a thread certainly isn't going to help.
If people have a problem with someone else, let them. Let them get it out rather than this underlying negative atmosphere where people hate each other but cant express it so you just have sarcastic comments all over the shop. Also would help against banning some of the few really active people that we have left on this forum. Enough of this parent attitude where people aren't allowed to say what they want about a person. Sure if a thread turns into purely arguement, then close it. But if people can't say what they think about something (in this case a person) then can we really call this a forum?

also what josh said

hairpins
17-10-2010, 10:05 PM
kallin sum1 an idiot is rude n against the habox way
enjoi ur ban oxoxo

Jamesy
17-10-2010, 10:07 PM
If people have a problem with someone else, let them. Let them get it out rather than this underlying negative atmosphere where people hate each other but cant express it so you just have sarcastic comments all over the shop. Also would help against banning some of the few really active people that we have left on this forum. Enough of this parent attitude where people aren't allowed to say what they want about a person. Sure if a thread turns into purely arguement, then close it. But if people can't say what they think about something (in this case a person) then can we really call this a forum?

also what josh said

It's not a "parent" attitude. It's not wanting the place filled with people being nasty and horrible to each other. If you want to go be immature and throw insults at each other like children then there are plenty of other places and mediums in which to do it. The people who are banned are the ones who keep breaking the rules - it's as simple as that. This is a pretty non-issue here, a user broke the rules and got infracted for it. There's no excuse and no argument, if you have a complaint about a moderators actions there is a relevant forum.

Thread Closed

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!