PDA

View Full Version : Staff Of the Month/Week

Samantha
19-10-2010, 07:10 AM
You have a MOTM system and most likely all departments have a SOTM system.

Anyway, you're planning on improving Hx/HxF/HxL, well this would get members knowing who the staff members are.

Yes, they can look on the staff list, but knowing who is doing exceptional at their job maybe key.

Say on the first of every month, you get the names of the staff who have performed to a high standard throughout the weeks there, and you post an announcement for it.

For example, you could say something like...

Competitions: DudeDanny123
News: Robald
Graphics: Alkaz
Forum: Catzsy
Events: Catzsy
Content: Skizzling
HelpDesk: Shar,
Radio: ,Jess,
Rare Values: Faboosh

Tried to use names that aren't there anymore, and they could win like a month VIP or something to make them know you value their dedication and stuff.

And announcing them would be better in the long run, as other members will probably look at the announcements, look at the SOTM, and think, if so and so can do it so can I, and they will apply (if applicable) and also begin posting and referring more.

What you think?

myke
19-10-2010, 07:13 AM
It should really be up to the departmental managers to sort this out - i know that I have this kind of system running in my department, the person with the best report (not just taking into account workload) gets a reward. :) It seems to work well.

xxMATTGxx
19-10-2010, 07:19 AM
All departments have at least 1 month of VIP to give to a member of staff within the department for "Staff of the month" sort of speak. Like Myke has said a number of departments have such systems running and Forum Moderation is another one who do this, it would be nice to see all departments do this if they do not do this already.

Josh
19-10-2010, 07:23 AM
All departments have at least 1 month of VIP to give to a member of staff within the department for "Staff of the month" sort of speak. Like Myke has said a number of departments have such systems running and Forum Moderation is another one who do this, it would be nice to see all departments do this if they do not do this already.

I would love it to be announced on the forum to applaud them for the efforts etc etc.

myke
19-10-2010, 07:31 AM
I would love it to be announced on the forum to applaud them for the efforts etc etc.

I prefer it to be less formal, rather than posting it all over the forum

FlyingJesus
19-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Like Myke has said a number of departments have such systems running

Init that's why Shar's been VIP so long

Inseriousity.
19-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Yeah we already have this in comps too. Don't think it needs to be publicised though tbh.

Shar
19-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Erm what? I have 2 months of managers VIP...the duration I was assistant lol.

O/T: I don't see the need for it to be publicised.

rnix
19-10-2010, 10:10 AM
What departments actually use SOTM?

KyoraStryker
19-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I know Gemma gave James and Lindsey a month of VIP for their exceptional work last month within HxL. Both covered tons of slots and booked even more; so Gemma rewarded the two. Staff of the Month, so to speak.

Martin
19-10-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm sure most departments already do this internally, I know we have a "News Reporter of the month" for example, and they are rewarded with VIP for their efforts that month etc, and it's made into a big thread with lots of suspense and stuff. I quite like having it private, since it's more personal this way. I don't think it needs to be in the public eye.

Hecktix
19-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Although most departments do have an internal recognition system such as staff of the month - this is something that I plan to further in my role as AGM (Staff) and have done from the off.

Working at Habbox takes up a lot of time and effort and there are barely any rewards, praise nor thanks - of course people shouldn't be doing jobs at Habbox in search for these things however I think that the people who do work their best for us do deserve recognition and this is a system that I plan to develop during my reading week (when I should be reading but shh).

Nixt
19-10-2010, 11:04 AM
If I remember correctly every department gives one month of VIP to their staff of the month. All departments started doing this once I reminded them in the Managers Forum that they had one month of VIP, completely outside of their departmental limit, solely for the recognition of staff.

As has been said though, Habbox's staff teams are so large and the community in general is not suited to public recognition of staff in this way. You only have to look at two things, really:
a) Complaints received about some members receiving Member of the Month, and the system in which they are picked.
b) Complaints received about the promotion of staff.

I would say publicly parading the staff of the month, on Habbox, only gives rise to more debate and discussion which will have the opposite effect of what is desired. You want public recognition but you are, in fact, only inviting complaints about the reasoning of the decision, how the decision was taken etc.

It is good to see Oli is extending the rewards given to members of staff but I think it is all best kept internal because it's not really a topic that needs to be publicly debated or discussed.

FlyingJesus
19-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Habbox's staff teams are so large

Not moderation any more lol

Nixt
19-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Not moderation any more lol

Some of them are, then :P. But the point still stands really. Imagine how some people would respond if the staff member that infracted them and caused a caution got SoTM or something, and it was announced publicly. People would get pissy because they were personally affected by the individual or it wasn't their friend that got it and they think their friend is the best EVER. It's just inviting pointless complaints innit.

Inseriousity.
19-10-2010, 11:25 AM
I plan to develop during my reading week (when I should be reading but shh).

haha I have one of those too. :D

Praise is good for staff morale and tbh, anyone who goes into a job not looking for praise, rewards and thanks are probably lying. It's human nature to want thanks for what you've done. I think Ross mentioned it in a thank you thread that staff aren't generally thanked for what they do and for some people, the only thanks they get is the thank you thread at the end, which is sad really :( Oh and this goes across the board... from General Management to trialists.

HotelUser
19-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Announcing winners would have it's pros but sometimes having to choose just one staff member to award with sotm is difficult because several users are close contestants. I think it would further amplify any bad feelings the runner ups might have.

Not to mention the controversy it would stir. I seem to remember some monster threads about promotions people thought were unfair recently. I think we should avoid a repeat of this. I'm not saying its unjust to voice an opinion about any of this, but same with promotions once it's done it's done. You can't undo it and complaining about it is only going to cause bad feelings and make the sotm winner feel unworthy which is the exact opposite of what the award is intended to do.

She what? What a silly thing to say. She was staff for ove half a year, I recall her winning sotm twice and only getting vip for it on one of those occasions. Actually HxHD has been both subtle and arbitrary when awarding sotms. I would like to make it more of a standard.

Samantha
19-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Well, ensuring it happens in every department is a start isn't it.

It doesn't really have to be public, like I said it my first idea, doing it privately is fine.

But maybe if one person seems to be dedicated so much that they are regularily SOTM then maybe a reward after so long is in order?

What about another award for the Habbox awards, usually held in December/January aren't they?
I know you have things like best event host etc, but what about an award, that's quite serious yet humerous too.

'An award for the most dedicated addicted staff member'
unless, something of the sort is already done.

Anyway, back to the point, privacy is still recognision so I'm sure that's fine. :)

Nixt
19-10-2010, 01:20 PM
There is the Habbox Dedication award that I tried to kick start but I only ever got a couple of nominations and it seems to have been neglected since. Perhaps this could be kick started because that's a good way of recognising really dedicated staff (and indeed members).

Their are staff awards every year and I am sure they will take place again this year too.

Grig
19-10-2010, 01:28 PM
It'll work on a weekly basis, just have an award for it (as obviously no one wants to give out VIP weekly) and it could promote more dedication. As for monthly, I would say no as the time people get it is too far in between and it would cause too many rifts from departments who could otherwise be bonded.

Staff awards are a "skem", as people normally vote for their own friends or whoever is more well known, yet may not know the amount of work other staff members put in.

Hecktix
19-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Staff awards are a "skem", as people normally vote for their own friends or whoever is more well known, yet may not know the amount of work other staff members put in.

This is something I intend to at least attempt to combat this year with the staff awards with an alternative voting system to usual to ensure that there's no bias.

Alex3213
19-10-2010, 03:07 PM
There is the Habbox Dedication award that I tried to kick start but I only ever got a couple of nominations and it seems to have been neglected since. Perhaps this could be kick started because that's a good way of recognising really dedicated staff (and indeed members).

Their are staff awards every year and I am sure they will take place again this year too.

Good reason.

I don't like the idea of it being "published", I think it could lead to further arguments which are unnecessary (for example from the public eye Bob Marley did absoloutely nothing yet he may have helped out lots or vice versa). Although it's good for morale, I think after that it just gets more formal- I wouldn't like that. I think the points against this in this thread sums up my opinion otherwise, though.

Staff awards are a "skem", as people normally vote for their own friends or whoever is more well known, yet may not know the amount of work other staff members put in

I agree with this however I know I have never voted for my friends unless I feel they put in 159% effort in.

@Oli: would be nice to know how because personally I dunno how you can get round this tbh

Richie
19-10-2010, 03:12 PM
On the topic of vip, why is it that managers get free vip lol they should be made buy vip like everyone else.

O/T: Doesn't really bother me

Inseriousity.
19-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah I don't get how you're gonna get out of biased voting. I mean it's very clear that Alex only won cos he was begging for votes. he actually doesn't do any work, I do it all y'know ;P

Anyway yeah, I disagree with whoever said once a month wasn't enough. I think having it every week just diminishes it tbh.

Alex3213
19-10-2010, 03:17 PM
Yeah I don't get how you're gonna get out of biased voting. I mean it's very clear that Alex only won cos he was begging for votes. he actually doesn't do any work, I do it all y'know ;P

Anyway yeah, I disagree with whoever said once a month wasn't enough. I think having it every week just diminishes it tbh.

OI! I do lots of work and I did not beg!! :(

Yeah I agree too tbh (lalala didn't see that post). Once a month is a reasonable length of time and shouldn't be made any more frequent. I know RV (sorry dan but you were the first dept. which I know did this) always had it once a week, sure its nice but I think a month is a reasonable amount of time and a better chance to see progress throughout A to B.

Hecktix
19-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Joke awards will probably still be voted for - there will also be a couple of public voted awards which again may be subject to bias however for those awards which come down to hard work and dedication to avoid bias managers will be asked to submit X names to General Management who shall in turn decide who shall get the award. I know this doesn't eliminate bias completely however it will lower the chances of someone popular just being voted for an award which someone else may deserve :)

Conservative,
19-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I like the idea..other sites do it and I think it motivates people to work...and I think it SHOULD be publicised, it will make the staff better known, and to show they are doing something, but also I think it's nice so people can just say "well done" or whatever....I've done this at sites that I have managed and people respond well...fans congratulate, other staff members congratulate and work hard to try and win it next time.

But I also think Staff of the week would be good x]

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!