PDA

View Full Version : Books!

immense
20-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I love books.

What is your favourite book? Why?

What are you reading atm? Why?

I have just finished The dead school - great read. Before that, I read Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. The book I read last though was 'The catcher in the rye' because it's an old classic. Have read it numerous times. Next I am going to re-read Nineteen Eighty-Four because that's my favourite book ever. Everytime you read it you will get a new interpretation and it is a thought provoker.

Just ordered Animal Farm - have been meaning to read it for ages!

Moved by Sarah (Assistant Forum Manager): From "Discuss Anything"

buttons
20-10-2010, 02:26 PM
i'm sure i've read something called animal farm, about animals on a farm who overthrow their owners and try to work and live 'equally' but then pigs take over. something like that but i'm guessing it's not that? lol

i prefer to read self-help/do it yourself/health & living as opposed to fiction books (unless it's harry potter).....although i have a fair few astrology books but that's debatable.

my favourite book is "The Broken Mirror" by Katherine A. Phillips because i can relate to it and it helped me loads ^^ err reading Human Instinct by Robert Winston again because it's really interesting + I would seriously marry him if I could.

Mathew
20-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I'm currently reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin (should finish it tonight) by Louis de Bernieres for my English Literature coursework. It emphasizes what a waste war can be and the effect it can have on one, good, honest family and what impact it has on such a small Greek island such as Cephallon. It's the nearest I've been to crying at a book too. I really do recommend it to everyone.

Another favourite is probably Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck which I read over the summer holidays. This time, it emphasizes the effect of the Great Depression in America and follows the depressing, pleading life of one family; being forced to move from their tranquility in the East to the hustling work in the West. The ending really does put everything into perspective for you and makes you look at your life.

I'm also a big fan of (auto)biographies.. I've read Richard Hammond, Richard Branson, Jeremy Clarkson, Walt Disney, Chris Moyles, Peter Kay, along with many others.. but lately I've become more interested in the great literature rather than simple recollections. Walt Disney's was particularly interesting however.

I placed an order of about 8 books from Amazon a couple of months ago and slowly working down the pile. Tess of the d'Ubervilles, To Kill a Mockingbird, Huckleberry Finn, Jane Eyre and Lord of the Flies are all there waiting to be read :D

immense
20-10-2010, 02:33 PM
i'm sure i've read something called animal farm, about animals on a farm who overthrow their owners and try to work and live 'equally' but then pigs take over. something like that but i'm guessing it's not that? lol

i prefer to read self-help/do it yourself/health & living as opposed to fiction books (unless it's harry potter).....although i have a fair few astrology books but that's debatable.

my favourite book is "The Broken Mirror" by Katherine A. Phillips because i can relate to it and it helped me loads ^^ err reading Human Instinct by Robert Winston again because it's really interesting + I would seriously marry him if I could.
thats the one. can't wait til it comes. the political message rly interests me

I'm currently reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin (should finish it tonight) by Louis de Bernieres for my English Literature coursework. It emphasizes what a waste war can be and the effect it can have on one, good, honest family and what impact it has on such a small Greek island such as Cephallon. It's the nearest I've been to crying at a book too. I really do recommend it to everyone.

Another favourite is probably Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck which I read over the summer holidays. This time, it emphasizes the effect of the Great Depression in America and follows the depressing, pleading life of one family; being forced to move from their tranquility in the East to the hustling work in the West. The ending really does put everything into perspective for you and makes you look at your life.

I'm also a big fan of (auto)biographies.. I've read Richard Hammond, Richard Branson, Jeremy Clarkson, Walt Disney, Chris Moyles, Peter Kay, along with many others.. but lately I've become more interested in the great literature rather than simple recollections. Walt Disney's was particularly interesting however.

I placed an order of about 8 books from Amazon a couple of months ago and slowly working down the pile. Tess of the d'Ubervilles, To Kill a Mockingbird, Huckleberry Finn, Jane Eyre and Lord of the Flies are all there waiting to be read :D

i've read quite a few of those. old tess was a bit of a nightmare because it was a coursework one and got a bit tedious. good read nonetheless.

Inseriousity.
20-10-2010, 07:05 PM
My favourite book is probably Harry Potter (sophistication level of the thread just decreased)... but hey it's not Twilight at least :P It's because it's got a great story with very philosophical messages and it's something I can re-read and still not get bored. I like Of Mice and Men too probably because I see a lot of my uncle (who has Down's) in Lennie - although he doesn't...

kill women and mice and because it's a very human story of struggle and trying to aspire for something more. Plus it got me an A in my English literature exam so I can't fault that :D

Jessica.Rose
20-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Atm i'm reading Sapphire by Katie Price >.< My fave book of all time is The Secret by Rhyonda Byrne <-- READ IT, its seriously great but i cant expain why its so good because its a secret :p

-:Undertaker:-
20-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I last read The Cameron Delusion by Peter Hitchens and The Plan: Twelve Months to Renew Britain by Daniel Hannan & Douglas Carswell. At the moment i'm halfway through probaby one of the best and most interesting books i've ever read The Great Deception: Can the European Union Survive? by Christopher Booker & Richard North. I've still got to read (bought but not read yet) The Abolition of Britain by Peter Hitchens and The Real Global Warming Disaster by Christopher Booker. I think after Christmas or just before i'll order The Revolution: A Manifesto by Ron Paul and End the Fed. by Ron Paul also.

Thats personal reading though, for English i've got to read A House Somewhere (a mix of poems) and Death of a Salesman by Aruthur Miller - but my English teacher did say she would lend my 1984 by George Orwell and i've been meaning to read that for a while now but haven't got round to it.

As for the best book - it's always nice to escape with Harry Potter.

Special
20-10-2010, 07:21 PM
i only ever read books when i'm abroad soaking up the suns rays on a sun lounger, and those are usually crime ones. i can't for the life of me remember what they were called

KyoraStryker
22-10-2010, 02:46 AM
I must admit, I don't read for leisure. I'm into sci-fi books though, which classifies me as a massive nerd.

HotelUser
22-10-2010, 04:05 AM
My favourite book? That's a tricky one. I usually get sucked into whatever I'm currently reading. My favourite book of all time is a tossup between Eragon, The Kite Runner and Maximum Ride. Right now I'm reading the Twilight Saga.

I really think my selection of books is underneath what it should be fore my age :P

Samantha
22-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I usually read Jaqueline Wilson books.

The bed and breakfast star I find it amazing.
I can usually read a full book from her in a day.

I don't really have a favourite book more like a favourite Author.

Rozi
22-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Right now I'm reading The Colour Purple for my english lit. coursework and then Oranges are not the only fruit for my wider reading :) I'm sort of liking both :)

Oranges is funny and very very well written and Purple has got an interesting story line n ting.

The last book I read before these was "The Handmaid's Tale" which was fantastic :) Its the story of a woman who's sort of a surrogate for a wealthy politician set in a dystopia imagined in America. it's awwweeeeeesome and I'd fully recommend it.

Nicola
22-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman.

Fantastic book. A book on racism where a girl and a boy can't be together for their obvious differences and although they don't care, everyone else does. I'd say it has a darker romance compared to things like Romeo and Juliet.

I'm still yet to read the rest in this series which are; Knife Edge, Checkmate & Double Cross

immense
22-10-2010, 09:51 PM
read them all nic, goood reads.

Nicola
22-10-2010, 09:53 PM
read them all nic, goood reads.

Oh good :D Never got round to reading them but I shall hopefully soon.

Do you have a favourite out of them?

Shar
25-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I read a lot of books, I like the twilight saga (obviously :P)
I love reading Danielle Steel and Jodi Picoult books and James Patterson etc :)

Nikki
25-10-2010, 07:53 PM
The only books I'm reading is revisions books! But my favourite books are:

- The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. It's not a well known book, it was recommended to me by my aunt. It is about a German foster girl living in Nazi Germany, unsurprisingly it's based around the holocaust. Its narrated by Death, which sounds so morbid but the Death character gives a very interesting and unique commentary on the story. The style of the writing is so beautiful, really recommend it if you're interested in history.

also I like Kite runner and the A Thousand Splendid Suns both by Khaled Hosseini. And all the Harry Potter books.

Neversoft
26-10-2010, 01:51 PM
My favourite is Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, followed by The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon and The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. I don't read many novels, but upon discovering Haruki Murakami I think it will soon become one of my favourite pastimes.

Richie
26-10-2010, 03:02 PM
the story of lucy grault - because its for school. I hate books if I'm honest.

Gibs960
26-10-2010, 06:42 PM
I love reading but now I'm getting bored of the childs books, even teenage fiction. I'm more into young adult books now, but I've not really read many. My favourite book is probably Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer or Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey. I'm currently reading a book about a killer and his son, called Incubus by Nick Gifford, it's good, but I'm getting bored of it. The school library books are really boring, they're all dead "childish", Like Jacqueline Wilson. Personally I grew out of Jacqueline Wilson when I was about 7. But I'm starting to buy books more often rather than borrowing them from the library. But I'm trying to read a wide range of books, which is a change for me because I usually go for Action books or fantasy books, but I read 2 biographies the other week and I read a crime book in the summer. I like writing stories so I'm trying to get experienced in all genres.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!