PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference...

Pazza
24-10-2010, 07:17 PM
between a 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 and a Quad core 2.8GHz Intel Core i5 ?

Basically i'm buying an iMac, and the only difference between the top 2 options is that, and the graphics card, but which processor out of these 2 is best :) ?

+rep fro any help :)

hamheyelliot
24-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm no processor expert, but the i5 contains more capabilities such as Hyper Threading, Turbo and other jargon features I can't quite explain- whilst the i3 has less capabilities, but performs more operations per second (hence the higher GHZ number).

Hang on for a real expert to advise you in here, but I'd say based on what it can do I would choose the i5.

Pazza
24-10-2010, 07:38 PM
aahh ok, i was on the intel website and nothing made sense to me :L Thanks anyway, +rep

GoldenMerc
24-10-2010, 07:41 PM
isnt the i5 version when you can turbo boost it, in other words overclock it? Without a 3rd party app

Pazza
24-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't know if it helps, but the pages on the intel website are:

intel i3 (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48505)
and
intel i5 (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=48496)

I read through them and nothing makes sense to me, which is why i felt the need to post this :L

Rapidshare
24-10-2010, 10:04 PM
i5 got more cores...

i3 is 2 core'd whereas i5 got 4 core'd.

You can overclock the i5 to 3.6 GHZ.. (Dont trust me on this) but the i5 is better as it got double the cores in i3..

Pazza
24-10-2010, 10:20 PM
ooh, just looked and i could also get a 2.93 GHz quad core i7 if that would be any good :L ?

EDIT: Just checked rapidshare, and the i5 has a "max turbo frequency" of 3.46 GHz, and the i7 a max turbo frequency of 3.6GHz ?

Rapidshare
24-10-2010, 10:50 PM
i7 is 6/8 cores I think..

Search up max turbo frequency, you get a better answer by someone else explaining it rather than me.

The more cores is the better, ideally I would go for i5 unless your planning to encode many blu-ray movies.

Recursion
24-10-2010, 11:27 PM
i3 = 2 cores
i5 = (generally) 4 cores
i7 = a couple of 2 cores, mostly 4 cores, some 6 cores.

Just pick the i5, you won't be using the i7 unless you're into video editing, gaming or something CPU intensive.

Apple
24-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I'd go for the i5 if I were you. The i7 would just be overkill and a waste of money unless you need the extra power for intensive things like gaming etc.

Pazza
25-10-2010, 11:19 AM
so the i5 then :L ? And can you just upgrade the processor if you ever need to in an imac :$ ?

and btw i'd use it for gaming, photoshop etc. and cinema 4d ?

HotelUser
25-10-2010, 11:41 AM
so the i5 then :L ? And can you just upgrade the processor if you ever need to in an imac :$ ?

and btw i'd use it for gaming, photoshop etc. and cinema 4d ?

No, upgrading the processor in an iMac is immensely difficult. I don't think it would be possible to do :P

Recursion
25-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Most mobile chipsets (which the iMac uses) have processors soldered onto the motherboard, you'd be lucky to be able to upgrade it.

Pazza
25-10-2010, 11:59 AM
No, upgrading the processor in an iMac is immensely difficult. I don't think it would be possible to do :P

Most mobile chipsets (which the iMac uses) have processors soldered onto the motherboard, you'd be lucky to be able to upgrade it.

Oh right xD I think i'll go for the i7 then, so atleast i know it's good enough for a good few years :P

Apple
25-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Oh right xD I think i'll go for the i7 then, so atleast i know it's good enough for a good few years :P

What price will you be paying for an i7? Just that I remember them being really expensive when they first came out. I was annoyed when I saw the new range of processors as I had only just bought mine and I would of much preferred an i3/i5. :P

Posts merged by eSocks (Forum Moderator): Multiple posts caused by forum lag.

Pazza
25-10-2010, 12:26 PM
It's an extra £130, but looking at some of the videos on youtube it seem's worth it ?

So whilst i'm here, imac's are good for gaming ? xD
Abit of a computer noob here :$

Recursion
25-10-2010, 12:31 PM
It's an extra £130, but looking at some of the videos on youtube it seem's worth it ?

So whilst i'm here, imac's are good for gaming ? xD
Abit of a computer noob here :$

Mac's aren't much good for gaming full stop. STEAM has recently gotten a Mac client but (and here's the stuff you probably won't understand xD) OpenGL sucks, DirectX pwns.

Pazza
25-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Mac's aren't much good for gaming full stop. STEAM has recently gotten a Mac client but (and here's the stuff you probably won't understand xD) OpenGL sucks, DirectX pwns.

I've heard of opengl :D 'cause the 3d in photoshop won't work on my computer now because of something to do with openGL :L

i'm so lost :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!