PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that Psychic abilities actually exists?

-Danube-
27-10-2010, 12:38 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/10/27/alg_resize_oracle-octopus.jpg

This week saw the sad and tragic death of Paul the Octopus and with it being Halloween this Sunday i have decided to do a debate themed around this.

Many people (and animals) around the world claim that they have Psychic abilities such as being able to read people's minds, predicting the future or even talking to the dead. Some of these 'Psychics' can be really convincing and even if you didn't believe in Psychic ability, they can make you doubt yourself due to how good they actually are.

Do you believe in Psychic ability? Have you come across anything psychic or believe you are infact psychic? Or do you believe it's just utter rubbish?

DEBATE!

Dean
27-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I don't really believe in psychic ability, only because I can't understand the concept of it. For example, I don't get how only "psychics" can talk to the dead etc...

It doesn't really make sense for me.

karter
27-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes , I believe that there are Psychic powers. Don't know about talking to the dead , but I truly believe that there are people who can read others' minds
Paul , however wasn't psychic :rolleyes:

Apple
27-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I have always had some kind of belief but part of me has wanted to doubt it. I guess until you have experienced it for yourself it's difficult to believe. We can listen to other peoples stories about experiences they have had with the dead or with people who claim they can contact the dead, but realistically we know that it sounds absurd.

So until I experience it for myself, I don't think I will ever 100% believe in it. However I know that it's something I will always want to believe is true.

Shar
27-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes , I believe that there are Psychic powers. Don't know about talking to the dead , but I truly believe that there are people who can read others' minds
I don't get it though, how on earth do you think they have the ability to read others minds :S
I personally don't believe in psychic powers, how would they work?

Dean
27-10-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't get it though, how on earth do you think they have the ability to read others minds :S
I personally don't believe in psychic powers, how would they work?

This.

What makes psychic people so special, why can't we have the ability to read others minds?

Nemo
27-10-2010, 03:06 PM
And how can u tell whether paul was or wasnt? What was different to what he was doing than other psychics?

This.

What makes psychic people so special, why can't we have the ability to read others minds?
well if you put it like that, its the same with anything. Why can some ppl sing and others cant? Why can some ppl dance but others cant? Its just like that.

Saying that i dont believe in psychics, i just can't see it happening and most of what they say seems to apply to anyone. But then u get those who are like spot on, who knows. I dont completely dismiss it but i find it hard to believe.

Shar
27-10-2010, 03:29 PM
And how can u tell whether paul was or wasnt? What was different to what he was doing than other psychics?

well if you put it like that, its the same with anything. Why can some ppl sing and others cant? Why can some ppl dance but others cant? Its just like that.

Saying that i dont believe in psychics, i just can't see it happening and most of what they say seems to apply to anyone. But then u get those who are like spot on, who knows. I dont completely dismiss it but i find it hard to believe.
I agree with you in some aspects, maybe psychic ability does exist and we just don't know the mechanisms of it.

Panda
27-10-2010, 03:31 PM
i don't really believe in all that but my mum went to one of those peeps once and apar they told her things that she has never told anyone ever and it wasn't things you could just guess by looking at someone, so idk son

buttons
27-10-2010, 06:16 PM
i don't really believe in all that but my mum went to one of those peeps once and apar they told her things that she has never told anyone ever and it wasn't things you could just guess by looking at someone, so idk son
me too
my mums friend is a medium and she told me something that she 100% had no chance of knowing cause it was MY thoughts that i kept to myself. really riles me when people say she was making it up because there was no way she was. i'm not gonna shove it down anyones throats but don't tell me i'm wrong when i've experienced it.

she's also dreamt of stuff (one significant thing) that happen days later & i'm not gonna say anything about it because i'll get ripped to shreds lmao

anyway whatever don't believe i'm not telling you to but saying it's impossible is ridiculous. just b/c you aren't psychic (and there's a fine line between being psychic and having mere coincidences happen) doesn't mean someone else can't be.

Special
27-10-2010, 06:17 PM
well my sister went to visit a psychic and they knew things impossible to know such as her grandads childhood best friend, so yes i think they do exist to some extent

Conservative,
27-10-2010, 07:51 PM
I have no clue tbh. There are parts of me that say no..whilst others say yes. I honestly - until I can prove (somehow) to myself that they do...will never be sure that they exist. I think there is an element of guess work, or just very good at noticing small things..like playing a card game for example, people will say "I can see what they have by reading their mind" when really they're looking at tiny movements they make when they get their cards...

but in all honesty, I'd have to prove to myself they did fully exist - but I don't say they definitely don't.

Professional
27-10-2010, 09:47 PM
A difficult one. I would agree to an extent that a few have physics abilities, however especially not the well known ones. Many of the half-famous people with 'physic abilities' often tend to be fake or give misleading information, e.g. Derek Acorah - known for kreed kafer (derek faker) and many other incidents showing he's a fake.

For me, I guess I won't believe it until it happens to me.

Phil
27-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I believe it. I don't even know why because it's so ridiculas but yet I still do. My aunt is like, crazy mad into all this type of stuff. I went to her house and she has these cards. You have to first shuffle them, then give them two knocks on the back as you were knocking on a door and thirdly just blow on them. After I done this she told me to pick three cards at random. Each one ment different things were going to happen for me and they all did. There's just all sorts of absurd things happening around the world you just know what to believe. Obviously people like us who aren't gifted with these psychic powers can never know for sure. We just have to have faith.

init.

Richie
28-10-2010, 12:40 AM
I don't believe in the octopus, but most definitely. What proves it doesn't exist?

sophiethenerd
28-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I think that Psychic abilites do exist but in a complex way.It may be possible to tell what someone is thinking by there body languge how there talking and other small factors.Even what your wearing.There is no conclusive proof either way.

Shar
28-10-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't believe in the octopus, but most definitely. What proves it doesn't exist?
I agree with you here, we can't completely dismiss it as we have no proof of its existence either way.

karter
28-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Why Paul isn't a psychic? , Well he had to choose between two boxes which contained food, How can you call that Psychic? :rolleyes:

Becca
28-10-2010, 12:56 PM
I believe in it, I guess some people are just special? :S

Conservative,
28-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Looking back on my post, I'm gunna go against myself...

I have dreams/daydreams in which I see things, then they happen like 2 weeks after? :S I don't make myself have them, I'll just be sitting in English and an image will flash into my head, then dissappear, I'll ponder on it, forget about it, then it will happen and I'll be like...wtf, I've seen that somewhere before, then remember :S

So yeah, i believe that these things happen. I want to learn to control my thing - if it is real...really hard to tell. But if it is real, and not just me going crazy, then I want to learn to control it so I can see things clearer, remember them, and choose what I see :)

Starburst..x
29-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Yes I do think people have psychic abilities. I don't believe in all the rubbish you see on television where they stand there going "I'm getting someone coming through starting with M" however I think there are genuine mediums who can communicate or be involved with things beyond our understanding.

Axb$
29-10-2010, 07:29 PM
i think its not so much psychic ability but it's learning how to read a person, and predict the most likely outcome in certain circumstances. Like reading body language and stuff? idk its all to do with psychology init n how the brain worx

SirTezza
03-11-2010, 06:57 PM
It is 100% real and factual.

People say, what makes them so special, why do they get to talk to the dead. Well my answer to that is that everyone has the ability to do it. You have to train your own mind in order to see past the frequency that we perceive everyday. In the same way, we as spirits are infinite and we will never die. Our bodies are vehicles, and once the inside dies, we leave those vehicles behind and move on.

I am a fully spiritual person and have achieved the ability to focus my mind past the 'real' world and onto what lies beyond. The people that are open to this type of thing are able to find their abilities. But there are unfortunately those people that completely disagree and think that we have no abilities other than what we perceive.

There is SO much more to each person than what meets the eye. You can get in touch with your own spirit guide with the right practice. You can astral project with the right practice. You just have to WANT it.

Samantha
04-11-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't believe in physic ability as such, I believe in a sixth sense though.

My Mum had just started dating my dad 20+ years ago. And she went on holiday, and he was on days at work, so she would ring him every night. Anyway, one day, she told my Auntie (who she was on hoilday with) that she had to ring my dad, and this was at 6am. But my auntie said you cant hes a work. my mum said, hes at home i have to ring him. she rung house up and he was at home, and he asked how she knew he was at home, she told him she just knew he was, and he said his car got broken into so didnt go to work.
My auntie thought he was lying and it was set up. A year later, the break in letter came in the mail so she went to my aunties, and said do you think hes still lying?

Weird init.

Chippiewill
04-11-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't believe it is possible, it just doesn't make logical sense.

Judas
04-11-2010, 11:19 PM
i do believe firmly that some people can read others minds

i never did until i was on a train with my mum and we met this guy and he claimed he could do derren brown like tricks and get in your mind etc etc so we were like kk. then he did this whole thingg which ended up in him telling my mum things she was thinking, like personal things about my brothers names and her job and all this stuff when she told him nothing that would hint at it at all. i didnt believe in it at all until then which made me think. you see it on tv all the time and think it must just be fake, but when it happens right infront of you its a bit weird.

Shockwave.2CC
05-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I think its all .B.S. tbh

SirTezza
05-11-2010, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately there are still people that think that way, which is why they are missing out on the experience.

One day though everyone will understand and realise what we are all capable of. Just because we don't see it in our everyday lives it doesn't mean it isn't real.

Conservative,
05-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Unfortunately there are still people that think that way, which is why they are missing out on the experience.

One day though everyone will understand and realise what we are all capable of. Just because we don't see it in our everyday lives it doesn't mean it isn't real.

Agreed.

I'm going to add to my previous posts...

I do believe that people have these gifts, and I personally think I am lucky enough to have a weak but evident "power" of random-event future seeing. Aka, I randomly see future events, subconsciously, but I can't choose what I see, and I'd like to develop it.

But I also think in *SOME* cases, ie; reading minds, it's more reading their body language, unless of course they're bringing up random things from 30 years ago, in which case that's weird. Lol..

Oleh
06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I know its possible to see into the future in your dreams (happens to me sometimes, i know i dreamt it, but i can't remember that i dreamt it, if you get me, then i just remember bits when it happens and get scared in case something bad happened)

Conservative,
06-11-2010, 12:18 AM
I know its possible to see into the future in your dreams (happens to me sometimes, i know i dreamt it, but i can't remember that i dreamt it, if you get me, then i just remember bits when it happens and get scared in case something bad happened)

My "power" is much like that. Although my "flashforwards" are random and not just during dreams but during lessons, at home and sometimes randomly when I am talking to people I will see myself with them a few weeks down the line in the park or wherever and then those few weeks later we're down the park. Although so far my premonitions are pretty mundane things such as people coming round or meeting someone in the street lol.

sophiethenerd
06-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Actually.That probaly is true for me.I will have a dream that I am staring at my english rooms window( The dream never lasts more than a few seconds). Then I will forget about it. A week after I will be bored and I will just look at the english room window and everything will be exactly as it was the dream. I also had one that I was bored in maths and that came true to.Its one of those things that are just inexplicable.

SirTezza
06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Many times when we dream we are astral projecting, unconsciously. Because it is unconscious you are likely to forget it and it won't mean anything to you. So when you dream, it is perfectly real most of the time. It is your light body.

MrPinkPanther
07-11-2010, 12:29 PM
What you guys are talking about with your "flashforwards" is Deja vu. Everyone gets it and it's nothing to be excited about. You see something happen and then you think you've seen it before usually in a dream or sometimes even in real life. Scientists call it an "anamoly of the memory", it's basically where the mind tricks itself into believing it's happened before.

N!ck
11-11-2010, 03:02 AM
No, of course not.

All scientific tests have come out negative and point towards suggestion, cold reading and body language.

There is no valid explanation behind "real" psychic abilities anyway.

Conservative,
11-11-2010, 07:59 AM
No, of course not.

All scientific tests have come out negative and point towards suggestion, cold reading and body language.

There is no valid explanation behind "real" psychic abilities anyway.

There is no evidence either way it's simply personal experience

N!ck
11-11-2010, 11:21 AM
There is no evidence either way it's simply personal experience

Well there's no evidence that they exist, however there's plenty disproving "claimed" psychics.

Jamesy
15-11-2010, 08:31 PM
The Debate has ended :)

Top contributer will be contacted soon.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!