PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop.

Lost_Addict
28-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Well i'm off to Uni next year, so i thought for Christmas i would love a laptop.

I'm the equivilent to a laptop virgin as i have never had one so could use some advice ;)

Budget stops at around the £850 and i would like it to look good, have high memory storage and high processing power.

I was thinking somthing along the lines of AlienWare.

Thanks.

Kieran.

Casio
28-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I personally wouldn't recommend an AlienWare laptop as they are meant for gamers. But if you do wish to browse for some this is the link

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Laptops/laptop-gaming/ct.aspx?refid=laptop-gaming&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~ck=mn

You can get a much higher spec laptop if you search the market.

MattFr
28-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Wait until you're at uni and get a Macbook Pro. If they run the free iPod campaign for educational purchases, the price of a Macbook Pro (after selling the iPod) is effectively ~£750.

Lost_Addict
28-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Thanks to both of you.

And i should of made it a bit more clearer, i'm planning to use laptop for work and entertainment, so I do plan to install a fair few games onto it ;)

Recursion
28-10-2010, 11:57 AM
If you want to install games on it go for a bog standard Dell, or even Alienware (yes you read that right, they're great machines!) but if you're not too bothered about gaming wait until next year and get a MacBook Pro with free iPod Touch as MattFr said (yes you read that right too :O)

Lost_Addict
30-10-2010, 03:03 PM
The Ipod touch promotion is apprantley not avalile any more. ;(

Special
30-10-2010, 03:04 PM
can i ask, why do you want a gaming laptop for uni?

you can get almost any good laptop for £850, if you want to 'look good' i'd say an apple laptop of some sort

Recursion
30-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Before fools come in and say get an Apple MacBook, don't, remember how poor you're going to be in Uni and how much more you can get for your money if you get a PC.

And the iPod Touch promotion is every Summer time.

MattFr
30-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Before fools come in and say get an Apple MacBook, don't, remember how poor you're going to be in Uni and how much more you can get for your money if you get a PC.

And the iPod Touch promotion is every Summer time.
You've changed your tone sunshine.

But yeah, the promotion normally runs from mid summer - 9th September ish.

Recursion
30-10-2010, 07:56 PM
You've changed your tone sunshine.

But yeah, the promotion normally runs from mid summer - 9th September ish.

I didn't think of the cost aspect in my other post :P

MattFr
30-10-2010, 08:17 PM
I didn't think of the cost aspect in my other post :P

£750 isn't exactly much for a good laptop which won't need replacing for a good 4 years.

Recursion
30-10-2010, 08:38 PM
£750 isn't exactly much for a good laptop which won't need replacing for a good 4 years.

Depends on what you do with it tbh

MattFr
30-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Depends on what you do with it tbh

Exactly what you do with any other very expensive piece of technology, treat it with respect. If it's for university it will probably be just word and internet anyway, nothing intensive.

lolwut
31-10-2010, 02:49 PM
Apple MacBook/Pro if you want to have something awesome. Although people are right in saying Apple no longer offer their "Free iPod for College" scheme, your universities IT dept. may offer some form of discount if you buy a computer through them, so how about asking them (if you've picked one)? That would definitely make the MacBook a more enticing option.

Alternatively, Dell have some really good, high-spec Win 7 laptops in their XPS range for about the same money as the basic MacBook.
Have a look here:
http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15/pd.aspx

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!