PDA

View Full Version : National Adoption Week

Inseriousity.
03-11-2010, 01:34 PM
So it's national adoption week and it got me thinking: would you ever adopt?

My two uncles are adopted, both of them have Downs' Syndrome and I know that people are put off adoption because they think the children will have very complex needs. So would you adopt a child with difficulties or disabilities or would they have to be 'normal'?

Stephen
03-11-2010, 01:42 PM
normal. When I go on holiday I always see a group of people with downs or something being looked after by carers.. It's rare to see the carers without a drink or a cigarette in their hand so it's pretty obvious that they must be extremely stressed and I could never deal with that

Special
03-11-2010, 01:45 PM
they would have to be 'normal'

life is hard enough for people who give birth & bring up disabled children naturally let alone adopt one

Apple
03-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I believe that you need to have a certain quality about yourself to be able to bring up and look after someone with a disability. Most are simply unable to handle the stress of it or the amount of time you have to devote. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

sophiethenerd
03-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I would If I wanted to adopt.I have special needs and I would never deny a child a loving parent just because of something they have no control of.If they were mentally ill I would think hard about it but it depends how severe it was.

Panda
03-11-2010, 05:53 PM
i just have a lot of respect for anyone who adopts/fosters, regardless of the child. i can understand why people would find it hard to deal with and therefore wouldn't wanna be in that position but i'd never turn someone away based on their disabilities/conditions

SirTezza
03-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I believe that you need to have a certain quality about yourself to be able to bring up and look after someone with a disability. Most are simply unable to handle the stress of it or the amount of time you have to devote. I just wouldn't be able to do it.

I agree with the above quote.

You must be a special person in order to donate so much of your life to brining up a child or even an adult with a serious disability. It really does take over your life, and you have to be strong willed to do it.

It doesn't mean that those who cannot do it are bad people, because they aren't, it is just a very difficult task, and everyone will be able to agree with that. You can still be a loving carer or parent even if you don't want to look after someone with a disability.

I don't think I could do it.

giltinux
03-11-2010, 06:33 PM
if i need to adopt i take normal good looking children.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!