PDA

View Full Version : Jokes and Humor thread

Eoin247
03-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey all,

I'm just wondering why post counts do not increse in the jokes and humour thread? People can post some very worthwhile humorours stories and jokes and so i think there should be post counts in this thread. I understand there can be pointless posts but that's the same in any section.

However i am relatively new to the forums so if anybody can explain why the thread is this way (maybe posts used to be counted?), i'd appreciate it. :)

Samantha
04-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I think they aren't counted because they are kind of like spam and people may just repeatedly post random jokes in separate threads just to get their post counts up.

It's like the forum games, the spam forum and the congratulations threads. Because it is applicable to reply more than once, people tend to do that, hense they won't increase. Also some jokes just turn into arguements and if posts counts did increase in there. I could see most jokes just going to spam and the posts wouldn't count.

Do you get what I mean though?

Eoin247
04-11-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah i see your point, maybe split the forum into two sub sections might be a good idea? One for funny stories (post count) and one for jokes(no post count).

Samantha
04-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Discuss everything is really for stories I think. Hense post count. :P

Eoin247
04-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Ok, fair enough. Thanks for explaining to me. :)

Martin
04-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Yeah I think Samanfa has summed it up pretty well really.

The thing we experienced with Jokes threads were that the replies they got were often pointless and not worthy of postcount, rather than the actual joke itself.

For example, there isn't really much you can reply/talk about to a joke- other than laughing or a "Hahha that was a good joke" etc, which is why the post count is disabled in there. It really does come down to the type of discussion that could occur in a thread, and with jokes there just isn't a high proportion of worthwhile and relevant posts which would be worthy of post count.

A while back the jokes forum was removed and jokes were posted in spam, I think now it's returned the best option is to have postcount disabled, as it is essentially a form of spam itself.

AgnesIO
04-11-2010, 06:36 PM
I think they aren't counted because they are kind of like spam and people may just repeatedly post random jokes in separate threads just to get their post counts up.

It's like the forum games, the spam forum and the congratulations threads. Because it is applicable to reply more than once, people tend to do that, hense they won't increase. Also some jokes just turn into arguements and if posts counts did increase in there. I could see most jokes just going to spam and the posts wouldn't count.

Do you get what I mean though?

A bit like people post in Discuss Anything to get their post counts up?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!