PDA

View Full Version : The Changes to Voting

AgnesIO
09-11-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't understand why anyone would complain that a charity is a popular choice (which lets be honest, is why people seem to have complained..), however I do see the logic behind the change.

There is only one charity on that list I would want my money to go towards now, although as I stated in another thread it does not bother me hugely what charity the money DOES go to. Although; I am against the idea of giving money to 'Operation Christmas Child'. The money Habbox give to them, if they win, surely won't be of use until NEXT Christmas? Also, for personal reasons I do not believe the presents given to the children are distributed as they are supposed to be. As I said I do have personal reasons to have this belief, which are perfectly fair.

Finally, may I ask why poll results have to be hidden? I can't see any harm in them being public...

Anyway, I guess it is nice to spread the money around to different charities, instead of the same ones every year.

Josh
09-11-2010, 02:46 PM
Quite happy with it. I was disappointed in seeing Cancer Research win (basically) because I'd rather money be focused on people who will not have a happy christmas this year, and probably the year after that. I want to help real people, in real time. Of course it'd be nice to find a cure to cancer but that's going to save people a bit down the track.

Also, poll results shouldn't be hidden.

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I think it's good and I think the charity which wins this year shouldn't be chosen next year for fairness.

But as Jin said the reason the results are hidden is because people were just going for the ones with least/most votes and not actually thinkin for themselves.

I'm much happier with the selections now :)

I don't understand why anyone would complain that a charity is a popular choice (which lets be honest, is why people seem to have complained..), however I do see the logic behind the change.

There is only one charity on that list I would want my money to go towards now, although as I stated in another thread it does not bother me hugely what charity the money DOES go to. Although; I am against the idea of giving money to 'Operation Christmas Child'. The money Habbox give to them, if they win, surely won't be of use until NEXT Christmas? Also, for personal reasons I do not believe the presents given to the children are distributed as they are supposed to be. As I said I do have personal reasons to have this belief, which are perfectly fair.

Finally, may I ask why poll results have to be hidden? I can't see any harm in them being public...

Anyway, I guess it is nice to spread the money around to different charities, instead of the same ones every year.

Stephen
09-11-2010, 02:57 PM
every christmas when I see someone nominate cancer research it's just like.. might aswell vote for it because everyone always does

so im glad

AgnesIO
09-11-2010, 03:05 PM
every christmas when I see someone nominate cancer research it's just like.. might aswell vote for it because everyone always does

so im glad

That's like voting labour because everyone else does. Or jumping off a cliff since a lot of other people do?

flatface
09-11-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm glad too, as much as charities such as Help For Heros are a worthy cause, I feel that there are other charities that would be better suited, such as a childrens charity.

immense
09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
meh. every charity is a worthy cause butttttt at the end of the day it's all for charity so not bothered. wish all changes were that quick. couldn't resist (A)

Inseriousity.
09-11-2010, 03:15 PM
My old college does shoeboxes to Operation Christmas Child every year and I imagine other schools/colleges do it too hence why someone nominated it? I wouldn't have heard of it if it wasn't for my college. I'm not really sure how unfair distribution can be the fault of the charity. If people are donating more girls things than boy things then they're gonna give out more girly things? So yeah maybe you're talking about something else but that's my general thought.

People nominated it so if people vote for it and it wins then that's just the way it goes for this year and then next year, it'll hopefully go to a charity you think it deserves to go to more

beth
09-11-2010, 03:24 PM
i made a post about nominating cancer research weeks and weeks ago... you should focus on a smaller charity.

cancer research is just so unoriginal.

Neversoft
09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
So basically the original poll was pointless because the votes meant absolutely nothing. Don't decide you want to do things differently half way through, it is idiotic and unprofessional. Cancer Research won the poll outright and deserves to be in the final poll along with the second and third places; Help for Heroes and the RSPCA. Obviously majority opinion means nothing to the management of this forum.

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't understand how they were first though. In the nomination discussion thread there was strong opposition against RSPCA and cancer research.

But overall I think it's fair as it gives a new charity a chance.

So basically the original poll was pointless because the votes meant absolutely nothing. Don't decide you want to do things differently half way through, it is idiotic and unprofessional. Cancer Research won the poll outright and deserves to be in the final poll along with the second and third places; Help for Heroes and the RSPCA. Obviously majority opinion means nothing to the management of this forum.

Neversoft
09-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I don't understand how they were first though. In the nomination discussion thread there was strong opposition against RSPCA and cancer research.

But overall I think it's fair as it gives a new charity a chance.

You don't understand how they were first? They got the most votes. Herp de derp.

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Yeah but they had huge opposition? I think there were clone votes but still im glad they're not there now the only one I wouldve kept is hfh

You don't understand how they were first? They got the most votes. Herp de derp.

Mrs.McCall
09-11-2010, 03:53 PM
I completely agree with it. We've supported those charities previously I guess. Although perhaps Habbox should pick one charity and stick with it for the long run? Might get more response from that charity, create a bond etc.

I'm glad the poll is private though, it makes it fairer.

Neversoft
09-11-2010, 03:55 PM
Yeah but they had huge opposition? I think there were clone votes but still im glad they're not there now the only one I wouldve kept is hfh

I doubt very much any of them had 'clone votes'. Everything is going to have opposition, but that means squat because Cancer Research, Help for Heroes and the RSPCA won fair and square.

Apple
09-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Well said.

Cancer is what kills most of us in the end so progression in finding new treatments etc is very important. As harsh as it may sound, Cancer Research is more important to me than some random african kid getting a shoebox full of crayons.

Con
09-11-2010, 04:14 PM
I think that this way, the money donated will have a greater impact on the smaller charities than if it went to charities such as Cancer Research UK (Although I do suppost this charity etc.) where they get a lot of donations all year round.

AgnesIO
09-11-2010, 04:22 PM
Well said.

Cancer is what kills most of us in the end so progression in finding new treatments etc is very important. As harsh as it may sound, Cancer Research is more important to me than some random african kid getting a shoebox full of crayons.

None, out of ten people who have died related to me (that I actually know of), died of cancer.

Hecktix
09-11-2010, 04:25 PM
May I also point out that it's Habbox Tradition to donate to a different charity each year.

AgnesIO
09-11-2010, 04:29 PM
May I also point out that it's Habbox Tradition to donate to a different charity each year.

I don't think anyone is moaning about that.

I don't think people like that a decision was made AFTER voting had started, and one of the previous charities was clearly in the lead. I don't think it will do any harm changing what charity, and since I still like one of the charities I don't really mind. Just tossing the coin :)

Hecktix
09-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think anyone is moaning about that.

I don't think people like that a decision was made AFTER voting had started, and one of the previous charities was clearly in the lead. I don't think it will do any harm changing what charity, and since I still like one of the charities I don't really mind. Just tossing the coin :)

People usually criticise us for not correcting mistakes and my point was, it would be wrong for us to support one of the charities (in the lead or not, we obviously know they are popular they won the vote in previous years) again.

Josh
09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
What's done is done; can't reverse a mistake by management. May as well let it go.

AgnesIO
09-11-2010, 04:33 PM
People usually criticise us for not correcting mistakes and my point was, it would be wrong for us to support one of the charities (in the lead or not, we obviously know they are popular they won the vote in previous years) again.

That didn't change the original decision for Apple being a moderator ;)

I am not arguing with you, and before I get attacked I was one of the few in favour of KEEPING Apple as a moderator, and I don't think he should have been fired. But that's another story :L

Apple
09-11-2010, 04:37 PM
That didn't change the original decision for Apple being a moderator ;)

I am not arguing with you, and before I get attacked I was one of the few in favour of KEEPING Apple as a moderator, and I don't think he should have been fired. But that's another story :L

Yes and everyone criticised management, hence Oli saying "People usually criticise us for not correcting mistakes".

Now it's as if you are criticising them for actually correcting them. (As much as I think Cancer Research should have won!).

Molly.22
09-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I think that it's quite unfair, a charity is a charity and just because we helped them last year doesn't mean we can't this year. I think most of the good charties have been taken out and there is only one in which I would want my money to go to. I am not saying the others don't deserve money, it's just who I would want to give money to.

GommeInc
09-11-2010, 11:57 PM
I can see their point. Cancer Research gets loads of funding and isn't really a seasonal charity like the ones in the poll (can't recall them, but they were focused on the children and the needed who cannot have a good Christmas).

It might of been a good idea to inform people that changes to poll were going to happen though, and whether or not it'll be okay. It involves money and some may not want to give money to the charities that they didn't pick.

immense
10-11-2010, 12:00 AM

i swear this is the 3rd year it has happened? so you mean habbox used different two charities in the last two years? tradition lmao

Tintinnabulate
10-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Wth why was Cancer Research removed? I did wonder why it was not in the poll today.

Hecktix
10-11-2010, 12:35 AM
i swear this is the 3rd year it has happened? so you mean habbox used different two charities in the last two years? tradition lmao

erm.. http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=132221&highlight=christmas+charity

immense
10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
erm.. http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=132221&highlight=christmas+charity

did it happen in 06 07

Hecktix
10-11-2010, 12:42 AM
did it happen in 06 07

Yep, http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=271187&highlight=christmas+charity
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=426964&highlight=christmas+charity

I'd be willing to guess there was some kind of donation in 04 too but the VIP wasn't as advanced back then

immense
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
i take it back then! when will we be seeing hx santa online

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!