PDA

View Full Version : RE: Black Ops Reviews and the whole 'story' thing

Fez
09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I wrote a thing on my semi-successful blog about Black Ops reviews

http://blogossus.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/no-one-likes-story-driven-games/

CONTAINS SWEARING. I USED SWEARING BECAUSE IT'S COOL AND HIP, YO.

Would appreciate it if you all read it, even if you don't agree. I would rather you be aware of what Black Ops does to you.

BTW It's not that I hate the story, it's actually quite amazing, but I loathe the way it's told and the potential for effectiveness is just subdued under a layer of non-interactivity.

tl;dr - Black Ops has bad storytelling, no point in being a video-game, reviewers hailing it as the next big thing. Wobble wobble, Obi Wan Kenobi (you) are my only hope (of being made aware).

dbgtz
09-11-2010, 05:25 PM
I wrote a thing on my semi-successful blog about Black Ops reviews

http://blogossus.wordpress.com/2010/11/09/no-one-likes-story-driven-games/

CONTAINS SWEARING. I USED SWEARING BECAUSE IT'S COOL AND HIP, YO.

Would appreciate it if you all read it, even if you don't agree. I would rather you be aware of what Black Ops does to you.

BTW It's not that I hate the story, it's actually quite amazing, but I loathe the way it's told and the potential for effectiveness is just subdued under a layer of non-interactivity.

tl;dr - Black Ops has bad storytelling, no point in being a video-game, reviewers hailing it as the next big thing. Wobble wobble, Obi Wan Kenobi (you) are my only hope (of being made aware).

I agree with what you say on here, I'll read the actual blog another time when I'm not playing.

Fez
09-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Just beaten it too, carries it all the way to the abrupt end.

Great story, just bad way of putting it in a game. Gameplay and story should intertwine, not be separate.

Time to hop on MP.

DPS
10-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Well that was kinda easy, it's good i only got it for MP :P

crazed
10-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Ending sucked, I loved the whole tripping out thing.. Like when you walk through a corridor, then the roof just peels off to reveal a rocket/ missile launching and the smoke just blows down the corridor at you.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!