PDA

View Full Version : How is the power of fate of represented in Of Mice And Men

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Gotta write my GCSE English "controlled assessment" (aka Coursework) on this next week and I need some ideas >;l

help?

Jordan
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
I don't know what the question actually means, But ive just done a controlled assessment for 4 hours on that bloody book showing the disadvantages of the characters.

Arron
09-11-2010, 07:02 PM
that book is a killer for GCSE :(

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Basically...how is fate involved with the story? Ie; When George tells Lennie to come to the "brush" if he ever gets in trouble and then goes on to say about weed - fate dictates it will happen again and somehow you've got to link it all together >_< lol.

Oh yeah +rep for helpful comments.

@Jordos, I got a 4...well 5 because of my extra time, hour assessment as well :S!

Inseriousity.
09-11-2010, 07:10 PM
All the foreshadowing indicates the ending. The events of the book come full circle. They start at the brush, they end at the brush.

The red described on Curley's wife matches the "red dress" that is referenced at the beginning of the book. Fate that Lennie would do the same to her too...

lol that's a tough question but I havent studied it in a while, good luck though! :D

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 07:13 PM
All the foreshadowing indicates the ending. The events of the book come full circle. They start at the brush, they end at the brush.

The red described on Curley's wife matches the "red dress" that is referenced at the beginning of the book. Fate that Lennie would do the same to her too...

lol that's a tough question but I havent studied it in a while, good luck though! :D

Thanks +rep. I'm going for an A. My teacher says we have to pick out 1-2 word quotes and link them and I'm like WTF, then some kid will stick his hand up and be like "dark" represents he's evil, not easy to get on with ect. and that's completely out of context, yet the teacher says it's a great explanation? English confuses me...lol.

Also, the fact that Curely's wife has ostrich feathers on her shoes represent that she cannot leave, and can potentially be a danger if approached WOO IM GETTING IT :L!!

immense
09-11-2010, 07:17 PM
just waffle in english

thats what i did and i got A for eng lang and A for eng lit

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 09:39 PM
just waffle in english

thats what i did and i got A for eng lang and A for eng lit
Lol I guess but I really need an A :(

Inseriousity.
09-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I found with English that it was a case of taking what you know rather than what you don't and twisting it to fit the question. So I mentioned the red with curley's wife. Our teacher hammered home the connotations surrounding this red description we see of curley's wife.

So take those things that your teacher has said or other students have said and manipulate it to fit this fate question :)

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks lol I will rep u when I can but it says I can't atm :(

I found with English that it was a case of taking what you know rather than what you don't and twisting it to fit the question. So I mentioned the red with curley's wife. Our teacher hammered home the connotations surrounding this red description we see of curley's wife.

So take those things that your teacher has said or other students have said and manipulate it to fit this fate question :)

Mathew
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Mike is right with the foreshadowing.

Note how nobody likes Candy's dog because it smells, it's old, it's useless and it's brainless. They urge the dog to be shot dead; this foreshadow's the death of Lennie in the end - as he too is a threat to the group, he's useless and brainless. At the end of the day, Lennie is essentially a murderer but due to the time the book is set, they don't realise his mental abilities and the amount (or lack of) control he has over his actions.

And therefore, is it fate that Lennie is being compared to a dog? Lennie has the same mental ability as one. He's compared to many animals, including a bear "dragging it's paws" and "dabbling it's paw in the water" - Lennie is essentially an animal. He's mis-understood, unable to realise his problem; and that is the whole point of the book.

I think I wrote all that terribly so I might reply here again tomorrow :P I quite enjoyed of Mice and Men though - hey, it got me an A! :P

Conservative,
09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for that matt. I had made the connection between Lennie and candys dog but I wasn't sure how to put it. +rep 2moro :)

Mike is right with the foreshadowing.

Note how nobody likes Candy's dog because it smells, it's old, it's useless and it's brainless. They urge the dog to be shot dead; this foreshadow's the death of Lennie in the end - as he too is a threat to the group, he's useless and brainless. At the end of the day, Lennie is essentially a murderer but due to the time the book is set, they don't realise his mental abilities and the amount (or lack of) control he has over his actions.

And therefore, is it fate that Lennie is being compared to a dog? Lennie has the same mental ability as one. He's compared to many animals, including a bear "dragging it's paws" and "dabbling it's paw in the water" - Lennie is essentially an animal. He's mis-understood, unable to realise his problem; and that is the whole point of the book.

I think I wrote all that terribly so I might reply here again tomorrow :P I quite enjoyed of Mice and Men though - hey, it got me an A! :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!