PDA

View Full Version : Game stores threaten to stop selling games available on Steam.

Niall!
11-11-2010, 05:50 PM
‘We will refuse to sell Steam games’ blast High Street giants; Digital distributors losing customers to giant rival

The world's biggest digital distribution platform for games is under attack.
MCV understands that key retailers will drop titles that integrate the popular Steam service as fears mount that the service has a ‘monopoly’ on the download market.
Insiders say Steam, run by US studio Valve, serves a massive 80 per cent of the PC download sector. And retailers preparing their own rival platforms don’t want that share to grow any more.
Some of the biggest PC games – such as Call of Duty and Fallout – use Steam. But retailers are concerned that selling games with the tech built-in pushes users towards only buying games via Valve going forward.
At least two major retailers will demand that publishers remove Steam from their games – or they will not sell them in any form.
“If we have a digital service, then I don’t want to start selling a rival in-store,” said the digital boss at one of the biggest UK games retailers.
“Publishers are creating a monster – we are telling suppliers to stop using Steam in their games.”
The head of sales at a big-name digital service provider agreed: “At the moment the big digital distributors need to stock games with Steam. But the power resides with bricks and mortar retailers, they can refuse to stock these titles. Publishers are hesitant, but retail must put pressure on them.”
Gaikai CEO David Perry told MCV Steam could become the games-equivilent of iTunes, where it dictates the terms of the market, not the other way around: “Steam has made it so easy for everyone and they have lots of users. But how long do you wait before you take control of your own digital strategy? Like with iTunes, at some point it’s going to be too late.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41746/Retail-threatens-Steam-ban

This is the most moronic thing I've ever read. Here's a list of reasons;

A) Most retail stores aren't properly stocking PC games anymore; my local gamestop only sells WoW and some retro games.
B) You start losing to the competition, competition that dominates 80% of the market. You really think publishers will stop using STEAM for the smaller profit earner?
C) If they are worried about STEAM they should have started fighting it earlier. Classic case of you snooze you lose.

Oleh
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
I actually havent seen a non activision-blizzard pc title in a game shop in quite some time.. unless flight simulator x counts but thats gamestation

Eoin247
11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
I actually havent seen a non activision-blizzard pc title in a game shop in quite some time.. unless flight simulator x counts but thats gamestation

Really?, most shops i've been in seem too.

Pyroka
11-11-2010, 08:07 PM
How stupid lol

Technologic
11-11-2010, 08:07 PM
So they're worried about losing competition to steam... and they tackle this by not selling the games.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Fez
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
So they're worried about losing competition to steam... and they tackle this by not selling the games.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

BEST STRATEGY EVER.

AgnesIO
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
To be honest, I never buy games on steam anyway. They are over priced?

Fez
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM

They're... under-priced? There are regular sales and generally, games go down in value per week rather than per 3 months with retail stores.

Niall!
11-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Lolwut.

Steam games are a hell of alot cheaper than instore (obviously with a few exceptions).

AgnesIO
11-11-2010, 08:51 PM
They're... under-priced? There are regular sales and generally, games go down in value per week rather than per 3 months with retail stores.

Lolwut.

Steam games are a hell of alot cheaper than instore (obviously with a few exceptions).

Every game I have looked at buying recently has been cheaper elsewhere at places such as amazon, game, play etc.

Call of Duty, Fallout, Medal of Honor etc

Niall!
11-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Every game I have looked at buying recently has been cheaper elsewhere at places such as amazon, game, play etc.

True, places like Amazon are cheaper. Also, those games you listed are some of the few that are never going to come down in price because of the publishers orders.

AgnesIO
11-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Lolwut.

True, places like Amazon are cheaper. Also, those games you listed are some of the few that are never going to come down in price because of the publishers orders.

Contradiction there lol

The thing is though, the sort of games I buy are the big releases. Since they get coverage and a lot of people play them.

Niall!
11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Not really. Does amazon look like a game store to you? I don't remember walking into one of their shops looking for a game.

AgnesIO
11-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Not really. Does amazon look like a game store to you? I don't remember walking into one of their shops looking for a game.

Amazon is normally one of my first stops.

Chippiewill
11-11-2010, 10:15 PM

He said store, as in not play/amazon.

AgnesIO
11-11-2010, 11:24 PM
He said store, as in not play/amazon.

I also find they are often cheaper at game lol

GommeInc
12-11-2010, 05:38 PM
So... They're going to threaten to stop selling games available on Steam? Surely they're already doing that, which is why they're already losing out? :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!