PDA

View Full Version : Euthanasia: Should the right to die be granted?

Conservative,
13-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Quite a controversial topic. Over the last year we've seen a rise in media attention to Euthanasia and assisted suicide as people go to Switzerland to have it done...so:

This debate is whether or not it should be made legal in the UK, or if not, should it be legal to take your family member to Switzerland, because several people are afraid of taking their spouse/parent to Switzerland in case of repercussions when returning.

My argument: It should be legal, but strict tests should be enforced to make sure it is the persons will, and not a greedy family member. Things such as a lie detector to see if they really want it? That kind of thing - obviously it would be a long process, but I think it should be allowed as long as it is strictly and closely moderated.

:)

Samantha
13-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I think it shouldn't be allowed - people who commit suicide in my Mum's words are "cowards".
However, I think that they should be helped to die if they have an illness and have no way out of it.

Conservative,
13-11-2010, 01:01 PM
I think it shouldn't be allowed - people who commit suicide in my Mum's words are "cowards".
However, I think that they should be helped to die if they have an illness and have no way out of it.

That's what Euthanasia is...people who are in extreme pain are taken to Switzerland (atm) to have an injection and basically their heart stops beating - it's painless, and puts them out of their misery. Tbh, I think it's more humane than keeping them alive in some cases.

-:Undertaker:-
26-11-2010, 06:22 PM
If anybody wants to kill themselves then let them, that might sound heartless but you cant regulate this and it would be wrong to attempt to regulate it (as we ridiculously do). With this topic I often ask myself that were I in pain, would I take a way out? and I think the answer is yes. But thats my choice, not the choice of David Cameron or a faceless bureaucrat in Whitehall.

Then again we already have a death panel ironically called NICE that says who lives and who dies on the NHS system.

Mathew
26-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I think Euthanasia should be granted providing a minimum of two doctors agree, and providing the person in question (or their guardian if they're in care) agrees. I don't think it should be granted just because "you want to".. it should only be if you have a very extreme, medical condition where there is a slim chance of survival.

On the note of suicide, I really don't understand why you'd ever want to take your own life unless you had a really serious case of depression :(

Conservative,
26-11-2010, 10:03 PM
I think Euthanasia should be granted providing a minimum of two doctors agree, and providing the person in question (or their guardian if they're in care) agrees. I don't think it should be granted just because "you want to".. it should only be if you have a very extreme, medical condition where there is a slim chance of survival.

On the note of suicide, I really don't understand why you'd ever want to take your own life unless you had a really serious case of depression :(

If they're in care of the a family member - and they're rich - the family member could just agree because they want the money?
Obviously you'd have to get the doctors to agree but there is still the possibility of being forced into it. I think it should be only the consent of the ill person.

Special
26-11-2010, 10:08 PM
yes however if it became legal it could be used as an excuse to murder so there should be strict rules on it (a doctor/police should be present etc)

Mathew
26-11-2010, 10:17 PM
If they're in care of the a family member - and they're rich - the family member could just agree because they want the money?
Obviously you'd have to get the doctors to agree but there is still the possibility of being forced into it. I think it should be only the consent of the ill person.
I highly doubt someone would kill the family member off, just because their rich.. but obviously they'd only have the say in the last resort (if the person in question is unable to make the decision themselves).

There would be no chance of a doctor being forced in to signing something; that's just a silly assumption :P Plus, you can't have the consent of the ill person alone.. how do you know they're not brain damaged or have side effects which affects their ability to think straight and make a (literally) life changing decision?

Conservative,
26-11-2010, 10:20 PM
I highly doubt someone would kill the family member off, just because their rich.. but obviously they'd only have the say in the last resort (if the person in question is unable to make the decision themselves).

There would be no chance of a doctor being forced in to signing something; that's just a silly assumption :P Plus, you can't have the consent of the ill person alone.. how do you know they're not brain damaged or have side effects which affects their ability to think straight and make a (literally) life changing decision?

True. I suppose doctor could say they're fine but there is nothing stopping a money craving family member making the decision if they do pass the medical. It's been an issue in the past.

HH55
06-12-2010, 07:26 AM
No, unless there in a wheelchair cripped, can't move, can't speak, can't go anywhere. Euthanasia should only be legal if the subject needs it badly, i say you shouldn't live if your crippled in bed for the rest of your life.

karter
06-12-2010, 10:58 AM
If a person is Ill and wants to die , and even the Family agrees , they should let him/her die.
Although it shouldn't be allowed on just the decisions of the family members or the doctors , that's juts like murdering a person.

Arch
15-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm actually writing an esssay for my law class whether it should be legal or illegal and i have to reference different cases and what happened,
for my essay im supporting to keep it illegal (not necessarily because i agree with it, i just think its easier to argue it being illegal)

Anyways these are some of my points;
- Killing should not be a solution to pain and suffering because there are better solutions (Medical practice and pain management are improving)
- Allowing mercy killing, can potenially lead to other abuses
- There is the possibiliy of a mistaken diagnosis or remission
- In the case of Tracey Latimer(child who was killed/euthanized by her father - a case that happened in Canada) she did not give her consent
- Also people may abuse it to get their inheritance faster
- no one should decide who lives and who dies

just a few points not necessarily the best :P

Josh
15-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Not for the elderly.. however, if I was paralysed from the neck down, I would want to die because that's not living.

Swastika
15-12-2010, 12:05 PM
If i was in extreme pain, had multiple cancerous tumours, dying of a disease or dying slowly in a painful way (such as certain types of cancers), then yes i would consider taking a way out by suicide. It should be your own choice whether or not you want to die, not David Cameron's, the EU's or the government (even knowing it wouldn't actually be the governments at all, it would still be the EU's).

karter
15-12-2010, 02:19 PM
I dont see the Point in not allowing Euthanasia in Extreme Circumstances..

Chippiewill
15-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Not for the elderly.. however, if I was paralysed from the neck down, I would want to die because that's not living.
If it's not living then you're already dead then you cannot die therefore it would be a non-problem.

Swastika
16-12-2010, 05:33 PM
If it's not living then you're already dead then you cannot die therefore it would be a non-problem.
Failed attempt at being funny.

Verrou
16-12-2010, 08:02 PM
I think it should be entirely up to the person who is considering it no matter the circumstances. What gives anyone the right to say what someone can and can't do with their life.

Chippiewill
16-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Failed attempt at being funny.

http://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/seriousface.jpg

Oh, I am serious. Look, this is my serious face.

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly, thanks.

RandomManJay
17-12-2010, 01:45 AM
If the person has the mental capacity then they should reserve the right to have their life ended if they wish it. And if they know that they are going to loose their mental capacity due to illness of whatever, they should reserve the right to make the decision prior to their mental debilitation.

If the person has lost their mental capacity, I think that the decision really should be made carefully by family, friends and medical professionals, as the person no longer has the ability to make such a decision for themselves. Although when it comes to mental capacity, its difficult to decide upon when someone actually has lost the capacity to make decisions for themselves.

Personally I think that each person has the sole responsibility to control their own life, including how and when it ends. So I'm a full supporter of the right to suicide and euthanisia.

iBlueBox
18-12-2010, 12:10 PM
We did this in R.E

The movie million dollar baby is a great example for why it should be made real, and how it can effect overs,

it really depends in the state their in and the circumstances,

Wig44.
18-12-2010, 02:36 PM

*REMOVED*

Edited by Dean (Forum Moderator): Please do not be rude to other members of the forum, thanks.

Swastika
18-12-2010, 05:28 PM
If you want to die, that wish should be granted - it's that simple.

karter
19-12-2010, 05:13 AM
If you want to die, that wish should be granted - it's that simple.

But that'd be like Suicide which is not allowed too.

Moh
19-12-2010, 06:15 AM
If they have no quality of life left, then I agree.

Fiendly
10-01-2011, 04:43 PM
It depends..
If the person who is unstable to live then it's simply their choice, if applicable or if another family member is unable to financially support this then maybe if there are signs of the person being unable to show improvement after a certain amount of time.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!