View Full Version : Microsoft disables active links in Messenger 09 to halt spread of worm

Moh
14-11-2010, 01:37 AM
A particularly malicious worm (a self-replicating computer virus) is currently trying to spread itself through many of the world's largest instant messaging and social networks, including Windows Live Messenger 2009. We’re very serious about protecting our customers, and are pursuing multiple avenues to help stop its progress. The worm spreads by inserting a link into an IM conversation with a person whose computer is already infected. When someone clicks the link, it opens in a browser, downloads the worm on the recipient’s computer, and then repeats this process.

Normally, when Messenger sees a web address in a conversation it is turned into a hyperlink which, when clicked, automatically opens in a web browser. This feature makes it very easy for the malicious worm to be unknowingly installed on your computer by clicking on the link and being sent to a web site containing the malicious software. We’re pursuing a number of activities to help protect you, working actively with industry experts and law enforcement to help stop this criminal activity.

Most notably, we’ve temporarily turned off active hyperlinks for web addresses sent in IM conversations using Windows Live Messenger 2009. You will still be able to copy a web address and paste it into a browser window if you know it to be safe, but by removing active hyperlinks from Messenger 2009, we’re taking a significant step towards stopping the unintentional spreading of this worm.

Because we’ve now blocked active links in Messenger 2009, starting today, some customers may also see a notification in the main Messenger window warning them that some features might not be available.

Messenger 2011 is not impacted in the same way, thanks to its Link Safety feature. However, we are actively monitoring the situation and investigating different approaches to help protect customers using the latest version of Messenger, should the situation change.

As always, we encourage customers to exercise caution with links to web pages that you receive in IMs, especially if the links are to a web page that you are not familiar with, unsure of the destination of, or suspicious of. Malicious software may be installed in your computer simply by visiting a web page with harmful conteaqnt.

Source: http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/11/12/security-alert-active-links-in-messenger-2009-temporarily-turned-off-to-prevent-a-malicious-worm.aspx

This is really annoying, why can't they allow us to turn links on for users who actually know how to use the internet.

Jamesy
14-11-2010, 01:44 AM
It's been annoying me all day, I wonder if its another ploy to get us to upgrade to the horrible 2011 thing.

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Been affecting me all day and got used to it, I will not upgrade to 2011 Microsoft!

Moh
14-11-2010, 01:52 AM
It's been annoying me all day, I wonder if its another ploy to get us to upgrade to the horrible 2011 thing.

That's what I'm thinking! If they remove all the ads, allow 1 way webcam, allow display names then I'd consider 2011.

Does 2009 also sometimes block people you've only just added?

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2010, 01:53 AM
That's what I'm thinking! If they remove all the ads, allow 1 way webcam, allow display names then I'd consider 2011.

No it doesn't.

Jamesy
14-11-2010, 01:56 AM
does for me

Middlesbrough
14-11-2010, 03:12 AM
does for me too.

Recursion
14-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Does for me.

HotelUser
14-11-2010, 03:33 PM
Well, Pidgin is working pretty good for me right about now :P

Recursion
14-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Pidgin is the worst Windows IM program known to man, it's only decent on Linux.

Firehorse
15-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Microsoft have their heads up their arses on this. 2011 is a big step backwards in features and stability, yet they want to push us to it by breaking the older version which works perfectly fine. At least I think this is what they're doing.

Recursion
15-11-2010, 04:11 PM
To be fair they need to push people to 2011 for various Technical and Administrative reasons, but yes, it's still ****** they're going all "social" on our asses.

Martin
15-11-2010, 04:13 PM
oh thank god for that. Thought it was just me who couldn't click links Haha

Hmm it does sounds strange, but I guess it's best if there's a security risk.

I hate the 2011 version too from what I've seen and will not download it!

Firehorse
15-11-2010, 04:18 PM
And yes it's blocking people who I just added -.-

Neversoft
15-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Ah, I wondered why my links weren't working. It is a pain but not too much of a problem, it only takes a couple of seconds to copy and paste.

Hang on, you can't have display names on the 2011 version? What else have they removed? And yes my one blocks every new person I add.

GoldenMerc
15-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Really annoying the new version how names have to be your full name, cant be what ever you like
its like there trying to make it a business client.

Recursion
15-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Really annoying the new version how names have to be your full name, cant be what ever you like
its like there trying to make it a business client.

That's actually what it has always meant to have been in the first place. :P

GoldenMerc
15-11-2010, 05:28 PM
:o
thought it was a social thing for kids, considering they advertise Habbo Hotel...

Recursion
15-11-2010, 09:38 PM
:o
thought it was a social thing for kids, considering they advertise Habbo Hotel...

Microsoft won't say no to Habbo Hotel if they want to advertise on their network, it's like all the lame Google ads we get here on Hxf, most are totally irrelevant.

GoldenMerc
16-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Hmm but surely it defeats the point, Will msn even be used by business's often? Doubt it.

Jack!
16-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Hmm but surely it defeats the point, Will msn even be used by business's often? Doubt it.

To be fair we use it at work for client support, easy to use IM, what else could we use?

I was using 2011 on my Windows 7. Peice of Crappy little *REMOVED*. :)

Edited by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not avoid the forum filter

Moh
16-11-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't think Microsoft realise that it's not because we don't like change, it's because they ruined it!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!