PDA

View Full Version : Change networks before activation

Jam
19-11-2010, 06:31 PM
If I bought a (Windows) Phone from o2 on PAYG, then didn't activate the number/account and put a T-Mobile SIM in instead, would the phone register to T-Mobile or say that its an invalid SIM and reject it?

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Thread moved from "Technology Discussion" as I feel it's more suited here.

Jake
19-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Should reject it as phones are locked to a network its something to do with the phone I believe but nevertheless try it can always get it unlocled?

Sunny.
19-11-2010, 06:34 PM
The phone would still be locked to o2 and therefore would not work with T-Mobile. Though id get someone to double check that o2 phones do come locked.
But yeh it will be locked.

Casanova
19-11-2010, 06:36 PM
not nesessarily. it depends where you buy the phone actually. for instance, 90% of phones 4u stock is unlocked (contract) whereas 70% of contract stock from CPW is locked.

As long as the phone is unlocked you should have no issue in using a t-mobile sim... aslong as they stock windows phones otherwise some things may not work as they don't have the software for their network with that device/OS. For instance an unlocked palm pre wouldn't accept a three sim because they don't support the handset.

Jam
19-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Does the phone ever 'expire' on a network? I can't see myself paying through the nose for 3G when its a £5 tariff on T-Mobile.

Casanova
19-11-2010, 06:42 PM
nope. if you mean they eventually cut it off, nope. They can if you abuse your network terms but that's highly unlikely.

HotelUser
21-11-2010, 03:53 AM
I'm going to assume you're using a HSPA flavoured handset, and if so that's excellent (if you're able to tell us the make and model of your device we could do some more digging).

I did what you've done with an Android phone last year. I bought it from a phone company called Rogers, and used a Bell Mobility SIM card in it. What I ended up doing was buying an unlock code from eBay, which let me remove the network restrictions on my device thus allowing functionality freely on any network of my choice. The only time a carrier (well-- as far as Canadian carriers go anyway) will sell a device not locked onto their network, is when you pay the full off contract fee.

You *should* be able to find an unlock code on eBay, if your device is HSPA or GSM. CDMA handsets are abit more tricky to get out of jail.

Alternatively sometimes if you call the carrier the device is locked onto, or the manufacture of your phone they can give you the unlock code for it.

Recursion
21-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Buy the phone, ring the carrier, they'll give you the unlock code for like £15 (or sometimes free)

Casanova
25-11-2010, 09:38 PM
it's £30.

Recursion
25-11-2010, 10:02 PM
it's £30.

Depends on the network, how long you've been with them, how long you've had your phone and your plan.

Casanova
25-11-2010, 10:14 PM
well vodafone charge £30 to unlock an iphone. and yeah, i guess it does depend. it's normally £30 but can depend as you've said on different factors.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!