PDA

View Full Version : Footfall to Hx.com

Casanova
22-11-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't know the figures, I used to remember when the figures were posted month on month.

I've been thinking recently about my uses of habbox. I first used Habbox for rare values, then I used it for news, then news and rare values.

Over time, I slowly moved onto the forum, while using habbox (at it's peak) for everything from rare watch, to news, the radio... habbox was literally what you used for an improved use of habbo. You were always kept informed, could listen to the latest music and it had accurate rare values--no one else was used but habbox for values.

Over time Habbox it's self has had it's uses phased out by habbo. In no way am I saying most of the departments are redundant, but their uses are a lot less than what they were and habbox has suffered. Footfall has fallen on all of habbox (from what I can imagine and see), and habbox has been in a decline ever since Habbo phased in the marketplace, phased in the 'news', effectively undercutting habbox.

I think habbox is evolving with time, the radio department is on the up and the forum is fighting through. Habbox it's self is suffering. I'll be honest, I have 'used' habbox for about three years!

I was thinking why recently and it's because myself, as a user--it offers me nothing? I no longer 'use' habbo, I no longer enjoy what habbox can offer me because it's redundant habbo tools?

Why aren't habbox offering your more seasoned users something?

I WANT ARTICLES BACK!

I asked Martin recently if I could join as a general news reporter, reporting on different and varied items each week, science, technology, entertainment, politics, the arts... the list is endless? You could have a different article each week in a theme for the month. for instance:

Looking at science: earth, wind, fire, water. how it affects life, what it means to us?

that's off the top of my head but surely you can see what I'm getting at. Habbox should have articles back. It would mean there's something to attract others. You could have a special each week for instance doing a cross survey of... 20 users on the forum asking them a popular topic such as "what did you think of the royal engagement?" then develop into how it may affect us in the time to come, what it may do for our economy.

I know I'm babbling but I always enjoyed articles, I'd definately apply and I think it should be looked into? Please? I mean, dear god can you actually say habbox offers a normal habbox fan something instead of offerings for HABBO? Yes, habbox is founded on habbo but you can't stay in the past. You must accept a hell of a lot of your users are dedicated non-habbo users? think if they each went onto habbox once each week and used it again--wouldn't that be a breath of life?

Eoin247
22-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I agree, making articles both habbo and non habbo related is a great idea. I would definetaly go on habbox.com to view them (If they were decent that is. :) )

Minstrels
22-11-2010, 11:12 PM
i thought the title said football. ill leave now.

Conservative,
22-11-2010, 11:15 PM
Agreed :) I think some of the main selling points for habbox 3 or 4 years ago are now faded out by various habbo features and therefore we need attract people who don't necessarily play habbo and this is one way to do it :)

Casanova
22-11-2010, 11:17 PM
foot fall is a term used in sales/retail. it's effectively the people the enter your store. When you first enter you're normally counted in most retail stores, river island do it. then they work out their conversion from browsing-to-sale. And that joke was seriously in no way funny :).

I think with a good team articles could be something different. It could be popular, enjoyed by most. By all means not everyone will agree but why do people buy newspapers? why do people buy magazines? to keep up-to-date, to stay in the know and of course for enjoyment!

I was thinking more moving away from habbo.

Inseriousity.
22-11-2010, 11:19 PM
i thought the title said football. ill leave now.

lol so did I :P

I was in the articles department when it closed and it was a shame to see it go but I can understand why it went. I agree that the news department should try and do more articles rather than relaying news but I also know there is huge efforts from the news manager and staff to improve this. Good luck to them :D

PS. Although I disagree with trying to get the non-Habbo crowd. The non-Habbo crowd comes naturally when the Habbo crowd you bring to the site leave Habbo and (hopefully) stay at Habbox. Habbo should always be the main place for attracting users. It gives the site, forum and radio a base to work on, a target audience to work with and taking that away makes everything look messy imo.

Eoin247
22-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Casanova - Head of the new habbox articles team. :)

I really hope though that this idea of articles is at least considered.

Casanova
22-11-2010, 11:20 PM
no no no. I don't think it should be merged to the news department. I think that we should have two separate departments because they're in no way joined? Yes, the news department could do articles on habbo, like dan done on rare values and the rare markets.

To merge them isn't the right way to go, sorry. Martin already said no.

Inseriousity.
22-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I was in the articles department when it closed and they closed it because people weren't reading.

Casanova
22-11-2010, 11:27 PM
yes, articles did die because they weren't all that good. No offense to -wolverine.

Well, if habbo users are attracted to habbox for habbo, that leaves nothing for dedicated habbox users? It's not as if while browsing habbo users won't use articles? I'm saying this is to add to what habbox already have. It will improve footfall if we offer more for habbox users and not just habbo?

By all means make other suggestions, this is mines guys. I only want habbox to do the best it can :).

Alkaz
22-11-2010, 11:44 PM
We're already looking into ways of introducing this into the News department. We already have non-Habbo related entertainment news as well as interviews and shortly we will be reintroducing room reviews back to the site. A similar subject popped up a little while ago and 'articles' as a whole is something we will be looking at developing more when the new year is here along with Habbox v6.

I don't know if there will be a separate department for it but we will definitely be looking to have more of the old article department content back on the site. As I say though, this is something we plan on happening in about two months time.

Martin
22-11-2010, 11:46 PM
The News department is already planning on branching out into some articles early next year and I'm going to be discussing this with General management soon. Reviews are already coming back, and we already have interviews. The team will expand. Since News itself these days isn't read as much, like you said I think the way to go is to introduce exciting new articles and this is something I would like to do- just not at this precise moment where we have other things going on.

I really don't think it requires a whole new department at all, that would be silly considering how the last time this failed, and it would be far more sensible to trial it as part of a current department so that it could be trialed and tested as to how well it works.

As I said I will be discussing new ideas for the department with general management soon, but we do have reviews coming shortly. There's a wide possibility of different kinds of articles, from teen style articles relaying real life issues which should hopefully capture our target audience well. I know that articles were also discussed as part of the V6 discussions too. I would just say watch this space. :)

Casanova
22-11-2010, 11:54 PM
that's great guys, can't wait to read your habbo related articles. I'm sure that'll go down a storm.

Surely you could see I didn't mention anything about bringing back habbo related articles? Articles that actually branch out to your biggest crux. the most amount of users habbox get is from the forum, from users that DON'T USE HABBO. I'm not sure why on earth you continually dismiss this.

To put it under a manager that already runs a forum, already runs a news department and does competitions? No offense martin but if you do branch out and add articles it will fail. You won't give it the dedication it needs, if you already merge the departments it makes it secondary and doesn't get the full potential of the staff and of course the raw material.

I don't think you're opening your eyes, sorry.

rnix
22-11-2010, 11:57 PM
that's great guys, can't wait to read your habbo related articles. I'm sure that'll go down a storm.

Surely you could see I didn't mention anything about bringing back habbo related articles? Articles that actually branch out to your biggest crux. the most amount of users habbox get is from the forum, from users that DON'T USE HABBO. I'm not sure why on earth you continually dismiss this.

To put it under a manager that already runs a forum, already runs a news department and does competitions? No offense martin but if you do branch out and add articles it will fail. You won't give it the dedication it needs, if you already merge the departments it makes it secondary and doesn't get the full potential of the staff and of course the raw material.

I admit i didn't read the whole thread. *Yawn* :P

But i would love to see more articles on HX cause it will be something else to browse for a range of different audiences!
I used to love articles :)

Mrs.McCall
22-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I don't want to come across childish but THIS WAS MY IDEA :'(

In all seriousness, I've been saying this for ages. There is now a gap on the market so to speak for Articles to return. Habbo are now posting news themselves more and more frequently, we're not able to grab as many exclusives as previous and they're not associating with fansites like they did. We need a unique selling point and I think Articles is it.

I was Articles manager for a while and I worked in Articles for a long, long time and I loved it. It never quite got the recognition it deserved and many people gave up on it but that was because Habbox was over-saturated. I think now, the members of the forum are older and don't play Habbo as much. Non-Habbo targeted articles mixed with Habbo articles will make for a popular read.

I used to post a script series on the site called Teenage Lives and that used to get lots of views, bring lots of discussion and that was fantastic. So much so, I'd bring it back if Articles were to return.

Merging with News is a fantastic idea as, at the moment, Articles wouldn't be strong enough to form a new department. I'm so pleased somebody else has bought this up.

Casanova
22-11-2010, 11:59 PM
I think it could be a great addition, I'm not fooled into believing it will be like the forum or radio; pillars of habbox. I just feel it would add more variety, more of a reason to browse and stick around. I think more users should post ie the ones that don't use habbo!

speak up, voice your opinions. And sorry renior I just babble :)

And yes, you did bring it up before Mrs.Mccall. I remember you brought it up now I think.
I totally disagree. To merge it, to keep it hidden under another department which (no offence martin<3) isn't doing too well will ultimately make articles fail once again. The issue was it was given the time by a dedicated, passionate staff. I agree yes, bring back habbo articles if you wish but as I said dan done it with RVR it still wasn't articles or news, it was habbox rare values not in any way connected.

So to connect the two is wrong. Look at it, the news department can expand and bring more habbo variety, and an articles department can do articles, reviews, investigative reports, real life news pieces, popular culture/news spots (like the royal engagement, the hadron collider, the eu's struggle), technology reviews and articles about what the sillicon valley brings us next, hollywood news and expose's...

there's so much and everyone seems to think it's under the same as habbo news? Look at it!

Martin
23-11-2010, 12:01 AM

If you read my post you would understand that it's not just Habbo content we would be offering. We already do interviews which aren't just habbo based, we already do entertainment news which guess what- are not Habbo based. We can write other things perfectly fine.

Habbo is one of the things we offer news related, however it is not the only thing we offer.

So, you won't have to just read out "Habbo related articles" you can read our normal articles too! :)

I don't think you have the right to judge how much dedication I can put into something. It failed last time there was an articles department- it closed for a reason, and to stop it failing again it will be best put under a current department to see how it works/whether the content would be used or not. News itself is becoming lesser and lesser and in a quiet department like news something like this would be great.

At the end of the day it's mainly the staff members that make a department successful, and once I get a larger team behind me it will be easily achievable.

Merging with News is a fantastic idea as, at the moment, Articles wouldn't be strong enough to form a new department. I'm so pleased somebody else has bought this up.

This. Why bother setting up a whole new department when it can be brought under one and given a go to see response. :)

Mrs.McCall
23-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Yeah I don't think its fair to target News. We work darn hard and Martin is a fantastic manager. The department is quiet because it's slow news. We can't report on everything. The front page can go a little quiet because the most we're able to report on is Habbo announcing winners of competitions. There's no point reporting that because it's, well, boring! News has changed dramatically, we don't report just anything. We have to ensure it's interesting to read and we can put our spin on in.

Articles reopening under News would be a MASSIVE win for News as it will just make us stronger.

Martin
23-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah I don't think its fair to target News. We work darn hard and Martin is a fantastic manager. The department is quiet because it's slow news. We can't report on everything. The front page can go a little quiet because the most we're able to report on is Habbo announcing winners of competitions. There's no point reporting that because it's, well, boring! News has changed dramatically, we don't report just anything. We have to ensure it's interesting to read and we can put our spin on in.

Articles reopening under News would be a MASSIVE win for News as it will just make us stronger.

This. (again) :P

I swear you are saying what I want to say!

Merging the two seems most sensible to me, and gradually bringing things back and basically offering a wider variety of interesting content for users of the site to read. This will be especially nice on V6 in my opinion. Not just Habbo stuff at all either, it will be a wide variety and we will come to members and see what kind of articles they would like as well as researching what was popular in the past. :) With a larger team anything is possible and this will kick the new year off with a bang. :)

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:11 AM
precisely, you're all amazing staff but you're positions and your actual audience get the news from habbo. Why on earth would you go a ten minute walk for a coffee each morning when you have a starbucks in the lobby? Guys, news isn't the best department to put it under because I think it's not going great it's self.

Yes, you can evolve the department, bring a fresher feel to your work (which is good while i'm looking at it!), get habbo articles, interviews, habbo room reviews--the issue is IT'S HABBO. How many times.

Habbo is in no way joined with real life, this is the reason why it shouldn't be put UNDER habbo news? Articles has nothing to do with habbo and you're fooling yourself if you think so. I just think it'll be an afterthought like it's been in the past. It'll fail once again.

And yes you're dedicated martin but open your eyes :S? you're in charge of the forum, news and you do competitions? what next? a space mission. You're more thinly spread than the scrapings of a jam jar.

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:12 AM ----------

martin I sent you a message asking and you said no, hop off the band wagon darlin'.

Mrs.McCall
23-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Martin manages his time across departments carefully and we haven't seen a lack in the quality of his management.

I understand what you're saying but Articles would need to be ran by someone who is able to manage a content-based Department and who has a strong history of doing so. Why not the current News Manager? Both the Senior News Reporters (I think) worked in Articles too. I don't see a problem. Of course, on the website, it'd go under an Articles header but in terms of Management, Martin is the best guy.

Having anyone else would mean them having to get used to the role, learning the ropes, having a team bought in. It'd take a lot more time and effort which could be spent on getting Articles reintroduced. Then, over time, depending on popularity it could be phased out.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Surely if it's content based then why not the AGM of content? What's stopping them being the articles manager to get it up and running before it makes a false start and folds?

I feel you're disagreeing because you want martin as the manager.

I feel it's unfair you're wanting it under a habbo department, yes it may have it's own section but it won't get the dedication needed. No matter what you say you are of course too thinly spread if you take on a new job, that needs full attention. otherwise it'll fail. it will.

my message to martin:
*REMOVED*

Edited by Bolt660 (Assistant Forum Manager): Please do not post private content

Conservative,
23-11-2010, 12:20 AM
Articles will fail as it's own department it won't get enough attention and will fold. It's a good idea but it needs to be part of news no questions it's obviously the only logical way.

Inseriousity.
23-11-2010, 12:21 AM
It's someone's choice whether they choose to multi-task. He wouldn't do them if he didn't think he could handle it.

You're saying that they're failing to realise that the issue with news is that "IT'S HABBO" but what they're trying to say is that it doesn't have to be. If you think the news department is failing then fair enough, that's an opinion, you're entitled to an opinion but it'd be really helpful for them if you could say why you think it's failing. I don't want to speak for you but I often hear people saying 'more opinions' and 'more investigation'. Both of which can be solved by making them write articles both Habbo and non-Habbo to suit both audiences.

Mrs.McCall
23-11-2010, 12:22 AM
The content agm has a lot more to worry about hence why he quit as Content Manager.

Look, I'm not disagreeing with you because I specifically want Martin. Surely if I were to disagree to be annoying I'd suggest myself as Manager considering I've been Articles and News Manager?

My point is, Martin IS a fantastic manager and News is a department that, admittedly, it flailing slightly but that's because there aren't a lot of us and there isn't a lot of News to report on! Articles would be the real boost we need. The news reporters are extremely talented but we're held back by the fact that there isn't always a lot for us to report on. That's nobody's fault, of course but just simple fact.

News under Articles would be the best bet.

Martin
23-11-2010, 12:23 AM
precisely, you're all amazing staff but you're positions and your actual audience get the news from habbo. Why on earth would you go a ten minute walk for a coffee each morning when you have a starbucks in the lobby? Guys, news isn't the best department to put it under because I think it's not going great it's self.

Yes, you can evolve the department, bring a fresher feel to your work (which is good while i'm looking at it!), get habbo articles, interviews, habbo room reviews--the issue is IT'S HABBO. How many times.

Habbo is in no way joined with real life, this is the reason why it shouldn't be put UNDER habbo news? Articles has nothing to do with habbo and you're fooling yourself if you think so. I just think it'll be an afterthought like it's been in the past. It'll fail once again.

And yes you're dedicated martin but open your eyes :S? you're in charge of the forum, news and you do competitions? what next? a space mission. You're more thinly spread than the scrapings of a jam jar.

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:12 AM ----------

martin I sent you a message asking and you said no, hop off the band wagon darlin'.

I will also say to you "HOW MANY TIMES" to you. We are not just a Habbo based department. We've shown that with entertainment news and inteviews. Who says its going to be put under "Habbo news" it's not. It would be merged- completely serperate- NEWS & ARTICLES.

Articles has nothing to do with habbo and you're fooling yourself if you think so

I don't think so, so I'm not fooling myself at all. WE ARE NOT JUST HABBO, and we can easily do other stuff too.

As also said in my last post- the main thing to make a department successful is having a dedicated hard working team. If the team is expanded and you have people interested the department pretty much runs itself. It's not hard managing, especially once you're used to it. Planning competitions for the site could easily be done with news and articles.

I just don't think having articles as a new/seperate department would work and could easily fail thus giving it a try with News can't do any harm and I think the proof will be there as to whether it would work or not.

Your PM was completely different, asking me about expanding the type of news I offer. I turned you down because it's not something I was currently doing, and I'm sure you wouldnt have been willing to hang around until the new year.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:25 AM
i think it's failing because being honest I know no one that reads news? I'm not just saying that, no one I know of or interact with connected with habbo or this forum (i mean 'friends' off this forum) use habbox for news?

And I think it will fail because without the full dedication it will fail. martin is a fab guy, great at everything he does but c'mon four different jobs? three of them as a manager? that's surely a lot. if it wasn't then why of course is there three agm's and a gm on here? they need the dedicated staff to each department.

I think articles could work best with a manager and someone over-seeing it, ie the agm of content for a few months, or the AGM of content as 'manager' to build the department, give structure and tasks, assign everything... then once it's on it's feet they can move out, elect a manager.

Why is martin suited to the job? Surely the content manager/agm content is better :S?

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:27 AM ----------

martin can you tell me why articles is best under the news department? i'm not talking about habbo articles, but actual articles? you've gave no valid reason on why it should be in the news department? especially when you're saying it'll have it's own section and own staff?

look at it from this point then, shouldn't event and competitions be merged then?

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:28 AM ----------

oh i get it now, you want articles to hold up news?

Alkaz
23-11-2010, 12:28 AM
People are probably saying Martin is better suited as they're two extremely similar departments. One is basically Habbo related and the other is not. As I said in my previous post we will be looking to introduce more Article type things to Habbox in the new year. I don't think that there needs to be an entirely separate department but we could just as easily have two sub-teams within one department which could work just fine.

We have heard this feedback now and we are acting upon it. I think it will be best to do as Martin said and ''watch this space''.

Neversoft
23-11-2010, 12:30 AM
There aren't articles on Habbox anymore? As a former articles manager this makes me sad. When I resigned 8Freak8 actually said I got the department back on track and had probably done more than anyone else had ever done for it. Alright, who is the culprit that let it fail? They must be punished.

Alkaz
23-11-2010, 12:30 AM
There aren't articles on Habbox anymore? As a former articles manager this makes me sad.
The department was closed in 2007 (I think or early 2008), back when Professor-Alex was Articles and Forum Manager. Where have you been? :P

Conservative,
23-11-2010, 12:31 AM
News and articles are one one the same. They're both read for entertainment they're both based on current happenings and they can both be real world or habbo related.

Let Martin do what he wants with the idea. You've thrown it out there, people have said it's a good idea but now you're pushing it.

From here it's martins job to decide who does what and I believe if no one else does that he can make the right decision on this idea.

i think it's failing because being honest I know no one that reads news? I'm not just saying that, no one I know of or interact with connected with habbo or this forum (i mean 'friends' off this forum) use habbox for news?

And I think it will fail because without the full dedication it will fail. martin is a fab guy, great at everything he does but c'mon four different jobs? three of them as a manager? that's surely a lot. if it wasn't then why of course is there three agm's and a gm on here? they need the dedicated staff to each department.

I think articles could work best with a manager and someone over-seeing it, ie the agm of content for a few months, or the AGM of content as 'manager' to build the department, give structure and tasks, assign everything... then once it's on it's feet they can move out, elect a manager.

Why is martin suited to the job? Surely the content manager/agm content is better :S?

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:27 AM ----------

martin can you tell me why articles is best under the news department? i'm not talking about habbo articles, but actual articles? you've gave no valid reason on why it should be in the news department? especially when you're saying it'll have it's own section and own staff?

look at it from this point then, shouldn't event and competitions be merged then?

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:28 AM ----------

oh i get it now, you want articles to hold up news?

Mrs.McCall
23-11-2010, 12:32 AM
That's exactly the point. I agree you're right. Articles would prop up News. I think it's unfair to say nobody reads news. We get lots of hits, we get PMs and lots of recognition and Habbox has regularly won awards at Habbo Fansite Awards for Best News Fansite. Habbox is the best for News, there's no denying and many people will tell you that.

Martin wouldn't be better than the Content AGM rather than more suitable. Alkaz has a LOT of work especially with V6 coming up and he runs a lot of different departments. A new department requires work and lots of time which he wouldn't be able to give fully with his other jobs. Martin, however, does has many jobs yes but his job as News Manager would be exactly the same as Articles Manager just with more people. It'd be a similar process and the guides/tips/info that News Reporters have in posting would be exactly the same. News Reporters and Articles Writers are two of the same so it'd make sense to have the News Manager (and I'd be saying this even if it wasn't Martin) run the department.

Inseriousity.
23-11-2010, 12:32 AM
And why do they not use Habbox for news? Is it because Habbo, BBC News, DigitalSpy, Sky News, newspaper websites basically give you the news anyway? In which case, how can they improve that? They can write articles too both Habbo and non-Habbo.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:33 AM
neversoft, you are our fountain of great knowledge; especially articles! Please enlighten us with your opinion?

Should articles go under news, ran by the same person but two different items? ie, habbo (and news), and real life/articles?

or articles separate, ran by different people?

Mrs.McCall
23-11-2010, 12:34 AM
There aren't articles on Habbox anymore? As a former articles manager this makes me sad. When I resigned 8Freak8 actually said I got the department back on track and had probably done more than anyone else had ever done for it. Alright, who is the culprit that let it fail? They must be punished.

I'd beg to differ. You were my manager remember ;) haha.

I think Professor-Alex was last Articles Manager.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:36 AM
can anyone provide a valid reason on why articles should be under the wing of news?

I'll be honest, I think it's because news is failing. if they were separate then news would become redundant after time. Habbo has taken habbox's position.

Mrs.McCall
23-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Because Articles failed on its own to. If you had both departments running together you can maintain interest better. Say, for example, there's a News Report about a new quest. The News Reporter can report on it and a Writer could review the quest room.

Similarly, say perhaps Jordan and Alex Reid split up and she got back with Peter. A News Reporter would report and an Articles writer could write a history of their relationship.

Then, if there's a lull in news, Reporters could write some Music Reviews, Poems, Scripts etc. There would be a constant stream of interesting, relevant content.

Martin
23-11-2010, 12:41 AM
martin can you tell me why articles is best under the news department? i'm not talking about habbo articles, but actual articles? you've gave no valid reason on why it should be in the news department? especially when you're saying it'll have it's own section and own staff? Where did I say that?

But ok, it will be best suited along with news for the following reasons:

1) I know what I'm doing in terms of managing a deparment (though some may disagree and fair enough)
2) As Michael and countless other people said in this thread, News has a similar theme to articles. They both involve a passion in writing, and producing accurate content for the site.
3) With more members in the team we could easily handle and adapt to new things.
4) Articles on its own could once again fail causing more disruption and making things harder.
5) As you said, News can sometimes struggle on its own. There isn't as much demand for News these days so it makes PERFECT SENSE to do things like this to strengthen a current department rather than producing what could be two weaker ones.
6) Current news reporters are already interested in this, and some ideas have been flowing ;)
7) News Reporters get told how to put content on the site/ how to use editors and how to make their work interesting and original- this will help with articles.
8) Time will not be an issue. I am very capable of managing my time, and I think it's something that can easily be done. Like I said before twice- it's the team members putting in the effort and the willingness to succeed that makes a department what it is.

There are more, however In my honest opinion it just feels right to trial it with news. We could argue this point forever, however I have Alkaz' backing to do something different with my department and expand out. I don't see how it's going to affect you/or other members enjoyment of the articles however they are produced, and I don't think it's fair to judge how well something would work before it's even given a go. :)

]can anyone provide a valid reason on why articles should be under the wing of news?

I'll be honest, I think it's because news is failing. if they were separate then news would become redundant after time. Habbo has taken habbox's position.

Surely if you think my news department will become redundant after time, that's a reason in itself to strengthen things, look into new things and merge with articles.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:43 AM
I agree. But the departments are different, habbo and then real life. I agree with what you said it's all correct. There's nothing stopping that happening if the articles isn't ran by the same person?

I just don't understand how we would benefit from a merged department. If anything they suffer, the manager would have both. Won't news suffer then if there's 'a lot to take on in the creation of a department'? Then everyone will blame articles.

I just feel that the department would benefit from one manager each. Not one manager for both. Why not the content manager creates the department then moves on? since you're saying no to the agm.

---------- Post added 23-11-2010 at 12:46 AM ----------

right fair enough. I'll give in because none of you are giving my reasoning any time but that's fair enough, we all feel our own opinions are right and i for one am a martyr of my opinions!

But if you do take on the department, does that mean I couldn't apply for articles unless I agree to be a habbo news reporter :S?

Inseriousity.
23-11-2010, 12:46 AM
can anyone provide a valid reason on why articles should be under the wing of news?

there isn't a lot of News to report on! Articles would be the real boost we need

We are not just a Habbo based department. We've shown that with entertainment news and inteviews

News and articles are one one the same. They're both read for entertainment they're both based on current happenings and they can both be real world or habbo related.

his job as News Manager would be exactly the same as Articles Manager just with more people. It'd be a similar process and the guides/tips/info that News Reporters have in posting would be exactly the same. News Reporters and Articles Writers are two of the same so it'd make sense to have the News Manager (and I'd be saying this even if it wasn't Martin) run the department.

You've been given lots of reasons.

Neversoft
23-11-2010, 12:47 AM
The department was closed in 2007 (I think or early 2008), back when Professor-Alex was Articles and Forum Manager. Where have you been? :P

Living under a rock it would seem :P but then again I was the manager in 2006 and after I resigned I no longer used the main Habbox website. It is totally alien to me now. I really have no clue what is going on anymore. Surprised it went under Professor-Alex's regime though, he seemed to be doing a good job. Although I do remember a thread being made concerning the future of the Articles department some years ago. I wrote a lengthy essay in the thread and gave so many suggestions, but they were never acted upon. If only they listened to me, things would be different right now. :naughty:

neversoft, you are our fountain of great knowledge; especially articles! Please enlighten us with your opinion?

Should articles go under news, ran by the same person but two different items? ie, habbo (and news), and real life/articles?

or articles separate, ran by different people?

I don't think my opinion is particularly valid when it comes to the website since I am so out of touch with Habbox now. :P I don't think whoever the news manager is should be forced to take upon articles as well though, that would be unfair. The departments should co-operate and the articles should be posted alongside the news, but there should be a separate articles manager.

I'd beg to differ. You were my manager remember ;) haha.

I think Professor-Alex was last Articles Manager.

Bah, beg to differ will you. Back when you were a troublemaker I was the one who debated with 8Freak8 to get you hired. :P

Martin
23-11-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree. But the departments are different, habbo and then real life. I agree with what you said it's all correct. There's nothing stopping that happening if the articles isn't ran by the same person?

I just don't understand how we would benefit from a merged department. If anything they suffer, the manager would have both. Won't news suffer then if there's 'a lot to take on in the creation of a department'? Then everyone will blame articles.

I just feel that the department would benefit from one manager each. Not one manager for both. Why not the content manager creates the department then moves on? since you're saying no to the agm.

Why are you so against it being part of news? :P

News can hardly suffer, there aint that much of it these days anyway, and often Habbo stuff is infrequent and that's where we have no choice but to produce non habbo news anyway.

I would stop referring to articles as a "department" when really it doesnt need it's own "department" to become an active part of the site. We have the time/tools and people to get the job done, so why not let us have a go? :)

Casanova
23-11-2010, 12:54 AM
well my question then, does that mean you'll exclude members (like myself) who has moved on and doesn't want to do anything habbo related? can I just be article staff or do I need to join the news?

Martin
23-11-2010, 12:56 AM
well my question then, does that mean you'll exclude members (like myself) who has moved on and doesn't want to do anything habbo related? can I just be article staff or do I need to join the news?

Details like that would have to be discussed with General management, but if my department was to move into things like articles then you would be find applying to do articles stuff.

Just like some reporters at the moment don't touch Habbo, we've had sports reports/technology reporters and entertainment reporters in the past that haven't touched anything Habbo related. :)

I would very much like to hire people who would be interested in articles though, depending on what we go for. :)

Like I said, If you don't like Habbo then that's fair enough, the News department isn't all about Habbo, it's just one of the things we offer, and that some member of the department do/enjoy. :P

Casanova
23-11-2010, 01:03 AM
that's good, it'd be absolutely mad for you to have it as one staff across the board!
It may work I guess. I don't feel I'd want to work with you, and as a staff member I don't 'love' you (only way of putting it nicely :P) so I doubt I'll be applying.

and in the message you kindly deleted (because it actually showed you said no) you offered me no alternative to habbo you said "wait until the next structure" and yes, that's paraphrasing so don't dare give me a warning for that!

Martin
23-11-2010, 01:13 AM
that's good, it'd be absolutely mad for you to have it as one staff across the board!
It may work I guess. I don't feel I'd want to work with you, and as a staff member I don't 'love' you (only way of putting it nicely :P) so I doubt I'll be applying.

and in the message you kindly deleted (because it actually showed you said no) you offered me no alternative to habbo you said "wait until the next structure" and yes, that's paraphrasing so don't dare give me a warning for that!

Yeah I agree, I don't like people being forced to do things they aren't enjoying/comfortable with and so it would be two clear sections.

You saying I offered you no alternative to Habbo is just you looking at things wrongly. As mentioned to you, we have Entertainment news, we have interviews etc, and these things don't involve Habbo and as in the past, reporters can choose just to write entertainment news if they wish. You probably just aren't too keen on entertainment either, which is fair enough.

It's a shame that you let an indifference of opinion be a factor of judging whether you would enjoy working within a department or not. I have to say that my current team love a challenge and it's often quite exciting to try new things, especially since news is in rapid decline.

Oh, and I deleted the messages, because it's against the forum rules to post them. You may think it's because I have some "grudge" against you/your opinions, however that's completely not the case.

I respect that you're giving feedback and it's lovely to hear members opinions, however there are also people who have posted in this thread that agree that it could be given a go, and I don't think there's any harm in trying, especially given all the points we posted above.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 01:21 AM
clearly it's so late at night you're struggling to read my replies. I'm sure you could get a dictator out there for websites - it may help.

I agreed it is a good idea, I agreed it may work under you. So let go of those straws you're clinging martin dear!

Tonight you have demonstrated that you can change opinion when the wind changes your way, you can adopt something as you're own and that if you feel something is right that there is no need to provide justification. I don't think your answers are adaquate but hey, that's null and void now I agree to disagree, it may even work under you god can only know.

I have chosen not to apply because I do not like you, I may change my opinion but god only knows. You've frustrated me, and don't attempt to bring out the doe eyes--you know fine well!

Once again you're trying to say that i'm implying you have a grudge? I'm not, I'm stating that you've jumped on a band wagon your turned down not two weeks ago, you said possibly with 'further development' so don't start making my points invalid. you know fine well that you did so.

Yes, you offered no alternative. I don't want to post about habbo or celebrity news. YAY ANGELINA JOLIE HAS A NEW AFRICAN. no thanks mate. I clearly stated I'd like to topical news report or do articles, which you said no.

Thanks anyway, I hope the articles department goodluck :).

Hecktix
23-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Oh Allan you do complicate feedback I've just spent ten minutes reading this thread and I swear it's gone round in circles.

I'm gonna draw a cute little analogy to try and explain why I think any kind of article should fall under the news department. Take a newspaper, any newspaper, tabloid, broadsheet, sports paper, local paper, lesbiangaybi paper whatever - and within that newspaper you will find an array of articles and you know full well that it isn't all news - so why on earth is it in a news paper? :O - the reason for this is because it makes sense to be there, it adds variety to the newspaper and makes it more of an interesting read - yet really it's written by the same team that all work under one banner, for the newspaper.

I don't see any issue with doing that here at Habbox either. As Martin, Mrs.McCall and others have said, we've got a team in News who have a passion for writing therefore we will exploit this passion to Habbox's benefits, need for a new department? Hell no.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 01:43 AM
your patronizing reply is just you oli. You've made me pretty furious. I BLOODY AGREED IN THE END.

next time I make a feedback I'll stick to what I like. Moaning. If you're all gonna be patronizing then I'll do just what annoys you (especially you oli).

Hecktix
23-11-2010, 01:48 AM
your patronizing reply is just you oli. You've made me pretty furious. I BLOODY AGREED IN THE END.

next time I make a feedback I'll stick to what I like. Moaning. If you're all gonna be patronizing then I'll do just what annoys you (especially you oli).

You didn't agree, you continued to argue ignoring many points made by many staff members. I provide a valid explanation as to why any plans for non-Habbo articles should be under news (not that there hasn't been enough in this thread anyway), you can't come up with a reply so you just resort to what you usually do. If you read my reply as patronising then you read it wrong, but do forgive me for not understanding why on earth this thread has taken 50 replies to get one mere point across.

GommeInc
23-11-2010, 01:49 AM
If anything this just proves how incredibly irritating Habbo is as a company, they've managed to single handedly destroy what made fansites unique and interesting, and ultimately useful. It's hard to say what could make Habbox useful again, because it's main source of users are Habbo users, and you've got to find what they want and put it on the site, and seeing as Habbox is limited to what it can provides thanks to Habbo it does make you wonder what to do with it. It's all well and good suggesting articles, but are they (Habbo users) coming on Habbox to look at articles? They may not have a use if it's not directly linked to the place they've found Habbox from (Habbo). The only thing that does seem of use is beefing up the event/competition departments, to draw in crowds of Habbo users who, let's face it, are just looking for furniture or credits, it's what many Habbo users wanted when they joined and/or used it frequently.

The other main selling point of Habbo fansites are their unique communities which Habbo users may want to be apart of, this is probably assisted with events and competitions to draw them in and keep them interested.

After thinking about it, it does make you think that maybe Habbox is now redundant and it's no wonder the forum gets all the attention.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 01:52 AM
i agree with you gommeinc. good post actually.

Oli you really annoy me. you continually throw things in peoples faces, as a person I have no understanding of people liking you sometimes. I was merely passionate about what I believed and obviously wanted. Everyone does the same, maybe I do it a bit more hostile than most but that's just me.

Thanks for your views anyway, as always Oli they're an absolute delight to read. Maybe you could have your own section of articles, called Oli's hot air?

In all seriousness I think articles could be a success. RUN WITH IT MARTIN. and yes, I may be wrong (about martin not being right).

Hecktix
23-11-2010, 02:03 AM
If anything this just proves how incredibly irritating Habbo is as a company, they've managed to single handedly destroy what made fansites unique and interesting, and ultimately useful. It's hard to say what could make Habbox useful again, because it's main source of users are Habbo users, and you've got to find what they want and put it on the site, and seeing as Habbox is limited to what it can provides thanks to Habbo it does make you wonder what to do with it. It's all well and good suggesting articles, but are they (Habbo users) coming on Habbox to look at articles? They may not have a use if it's not directly linked to the place they've found Habbox from (Habbo). The only thing that does seem of use is beefing up the event/competition departments, to draw in crowds of Habbo users who, let's face it, are just looking for furniture or credits, it's what many Habbo users wanted when they joined and/or used it frequently.

The other main selling point of Habbo fansites are their unique communities which Habbo users may want to be apart of, this is probably assisted with events and competitions to draw them in and keep them interested.

After thinking about it, it does make you think that maybe Habbox is now redundant and it's no wonder the forum gets all the attention.

Quite true, Habbo have in simple words ****** us over, marketplace, their own news etc etc etc. However that's not to say Habbox should give up, we can easily fight against it. What Sulake don't realise is that fansites are such a huge advertisement base for them and if you think about it how many people would use Habbo if they didn't use sites like Habbox - I know I wouldn't and I think it's pretty safe to say that for a lot of the people on this forum.

We need to work on establishing a larger userbase on the new Hotel - we haven't yet done this in my opinion, once we have done this we can generate large scale events (like we plan at christmas) which could topple events organised by official sulake staff, as since the merge their community efforts have dropped tremendously, there's no Lost_Witness and Bucho6 anymore organising fantastic Habbo quests and stuff, Habbo is very robotic etc and I think fansites can offer a great alternative if they get out there properly - yet no fansite has managed to do this yet.

I know the plans for our new website, and yes I know people are sick of hearing about it because it seems to have taken so long but it will be released in January 2011 and in my opinions our plan for this site are very good for combatting the challenges Habbo has thrown at us (especially the marketplace). Our new site will also be an exciting experience for our non-habbo users too. The three Habbox sites will become more united and I'd like to think after the release of our new site that if you use one Habbox site you will use another too as they will be closely linked, ehh you might even go all out to three too. These plans will help.

I think it was Lost_Witness who referred to Habbox as a "Super" fansite as we had a large control over the population of Habbo UK - this was clearly shown when we took one of the most awful fansites i've seen to Official Status via voting. The population of Habbo has now got immensely bigger and we don't have the majority support anymore, but the benefit is no other fansite does either.

Nobody has yet found what it needs to conquor all timezones and get the biggest userbase, there are big UK fansites such as us, ClubHabbo, HFFM, there are big US fansites such as HabCrazy and there are big AU fansites such as arghhh I can't remember the name of it - yet none are successful in other timezones and in this climate you need to be.

The race is on, and we need to win it.

Casanova
23-11-2010, 02:06 AM
i'm not sure habbox can win this one being honest, i think it's too difficult with sulake's efforts to push fansites out.

Hecktix
23-11-2010, 02:13 AM
i'm not sure habbox can win this one being honest, i think it's too difficult with sulake's efforts to push fansites out.

They'd be screwed without us, not that they entirely know this. Unfortunately, it turns to the fact that small, volunteer-run sites like Habbox have to challenge big corporations like Sulake. It's an impossible feat but we have the upper hand of knowing what the Habbo community want as we are the Habbo community, if you could find me a Habbo who's happy with the way Sulake are running things at the moment I'd be crazily shocked and then reccommend that Habbo to a mental institution.

I've spoken to a former UK Moderator who is absolutely astounded at how sulake are running things. If we capitalise on these weaknesses we can improve a little, although we need to change from being a UK fansite which we've been for 7 years to become an international fansite and that is extremely hard because 99% of us are all from Habbo UK.

I'd quite like to see Habbox buy out an Australian and US fansite, but that's probably beyond our funds so we have to look at the community to get users to us. We have 2 weeks worth of giveaways planned at christmas each at staggered times so it will work out with each time zone getting 4 giveaways (and yes I have volunteerd to do one at god knows what hour). We just have to work hard, the new site will help as we plan to combat sulake with some of the problems they put infront of us.

Josh
23-11-2010, 03:49 AM
I'd quite like to see Habbox buy out an Australian and US fansite

Does Australia even have a good fansite?

GommeInc
23-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Quite true, Habbo have in simple words ****** us over, marketplace, their own news etc etc etc. However that's not to say Habbox should give up, we can easily fight against it. What Sulake don't realise is that fansites are such a huge advertisement base for them and if you think about it how many people would use Habbo if they didn't use sites like Habbox - I know I wouldn't and I think it's pretty safe to say that for a lot of the people on this forum.
I'm amazed Habbo is even still going. They clearly picked the staff who most resembled apes to continue working after the merge. Heck, the merge was a huge hint that they do not particularly care about their userbase, more so with fansites seeing as none of the staff knew what Habbox was. What made Habbo successful back when I used it frequently was the HabboHood Happenings and knowing who the staff were and what they did, what the future events include and what were the results of events in the week, which I don't think you get with the current set-up of neanderthals who are just there to systematically check that the site is working and throw faeces at their customers when they say anything that used more than 3 brain cells. Habbox could probably focus on a "HabboHood Happenings" styled article system, which could work if you talk to Habbo Staff and get some interesting information. It's worth a shot seeing if they respond and will help out, afterall you're keeping their current customers informed and their new users interested (provided you get more than grunts and uggs out of them ;))

So in short: A weekly "digest" that lists who won what (Habbox events and Habbo events), and smaller articles filling the gaps with any interesting information if it exists and cannot wait for the end of the week (or you could make it bi-weekly). It seems better than trying to milk articles out of nowhere, seeing as there is clearly nothing in Habbo to leech out of.

We need to work on establishing a larger userbase on the new Hotel - we haven't yet done this in my opinion, once we have done this we can generate large scale events (like we plan at christmas) which could topple events organised by official sulake staff, as since the merge their community efforts have dropped tremendously, there's no Lost_Witness and Bucho6 anymore organising fantastic Habbo quests and stuff, Habbo is very robotic etc and I think fansites can offer a great alternative if they get out there properly - yet no fansite has managed to do this yet.
The only problem is you've got to advertise, which might be tricky. Do the "Official Groups" still have discussions boards and do Habbox Staff have access to the boards to advertise events? As Official Fansites you must be entitled to some perks (I wouldn't be surprised if you lacked them, however). You could probably get HxHD involved, HxL involved and other frontline departments, like adverts on HxL saying "And don't miss out our fantastic event on Habbo this week" and maybe random shout outs in HxHD by staff to users advertising upcoming events - not too frequently, but enough times to engage the users. Just make sure you do not do the annoying "flooding" thing which is going into other rooms shouting the odds about events happening. It's worth looking into how you can advertise certain events though, no matter how small.

I know the plans for our new website, and yes I know people are sick of hearing about it because it seems to have taken so long but it will be released in January 2011 and in my opinions our plan for this site are very good for combatting the challenges Habbo has thrown at us (especially the marketplace). Our new site will also be an exciting experience for our non-habbo users too. The three Habbox sites will become more united and I'd like to think after the release of our new site that if you use one Habbox site you will use another too as they will be closely linked, ehh you might even go all out to three too. These plans will help.
You need to get a whip out really, these plans were strongly suggested to be out by Summer which caused a few controversial posts by some members who were told other members were lying then finding the threads proving otherwise. You've got to make quick changes to go along with changes in your environment, it's never good to leave them for so long :)

Nobody has yet found what it needs to conquor all timezones and get the biggest userbase, there are big UK fansites such as us, ClubHabbo, HFFM, there are big US fansites such as HabCrazy and there are big AU fansites such as arghhh I can't remember the name of it - yet none are successful in other timezones and in this climate you need to be.
It is incredibly difficult and perhaps impossible for a fansite like Habbox without wasting tons of money and re-writing the structures of the 3 sites. At the moment you've got a strong British culture which contrasts with other cultures. You would have to re-write the forum structure to make events work for Austrailians and Americans, and hide the British ones which are of no interest, and the discussions would be hard to control because you'd get British people signing off at 11PM to 8AM which would be a daunting experience for Australians just coming home and Americans at the peak of their online activities. So finding it is one thing, but using it is another.

The race is on, and we need to win it.[/QUOTE]

Josh
23-11-2010, 07:54 PM
You would have to re-write the forum structure to make events work for Austrailians and Americans, and hide the British ones which are of no interest

The race is on, and we need to win it.

Eh? What? I stay up late into the night and I am for sure interested in them.

Also, Hecktix.. what's the Habbo AU Fansite?

GommeInc
23-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Eh? What? I stay up late into the night and I am for sure interested in them.

Also, Hecktix.. what's the Habbo AU Fansite?
I'm thinking of the ones which won't be accessible to a vast majority of AU/US visitors :) Perhaps I could re-phrase that to less accessible than hidden, as some could well be accessible to all nationalities if the time frame is right?

Josh
23-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm thinking of the ones which won't be accessible to a vast majority of AU/US visitors :) Perhaps I could re-phrase that to less accessible than hidden, as some could well be accessible to all nationalities if the time frame is right?

12pm is usually a nice time, maybe a little later. (quiz any1)

Well it's currently 6am in Australia as I type this, so I am able to get to the prime time events (if I'm willing) by either staying up super late, or getting up early. I may be an exception though.

The actual issue I have with it is, if they hide main timezone (UK) events for international people, it's going to look really empty as I haven't seen many events in my timezone prime etc. (Felix-X does some, but that's about it.)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!