PDA

View Full Version : Colour Scheme Critique

Sam
25-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Hey,

I've been working on a layout for an idea i wanted to test out. It's had some serious thought put in to it and i'm hoping it'll be remotely successful. I won't go into the concept of the actual website right now, but i just wanted some feedback on the colour scheme i've chosen.

I'm aware it's a little bizzare but i'm trying to go for a unique feel. Ignore the actual content on there as that's merely placeholder text. Although the challenges etc are an actual feature of the site i'm designing.

Thanks

http://i55.tinypic.com/2yyz2wo.png

NOTE: Feedback isn't: 'It's rubbish'. If you have something negative to say, provide your own input on improvement.

---------- Post added 25-11-2010 at 01:22 AM ----------

Thread posted twice due to extreme lag. Please close ;D

Zak
25-11-2010, 02:19 AM
I've never been a fan of dark colours, so the black is defiantly a bad start for me, I can't even put up with the darkish blue. I like websites bright and colourful like this one, they make you want to visit time and time again, bright colours always signify to me happy environments (hence a place I would like to be) :)

Sam
25-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks,

I'll try to put together a brighter colour scheme :)

HotelUser
25-11-2010, 12:57 PM
The parts sticking out sort of look dirty to me, I would consider smoothing the edges to make miniature curved boxes.

Jonster
25-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Agree with Interact, I think it would look better with a white to grey background rather than a dark one. Sometimes dark templates often work well but with the intensity of the lime green it doesn't flow very well.

Sam
25-11-2010, 05:28 PM
So you think the lime would look better with a white to grey gradient? ;D Alright well i'll make the changes a bit later when i get home ;D

Zak
26-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Look forward to seeing the updated version Sam :)

Dentafrice
27-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Hmmmm... the colors seem to match decently... the font you've used is horrid though :P The font for "complete the challenge" at the top, always just makes me think bad about the site.. not sure why.

I'm not a fan of the gradient in the content box either... just me though.

Sam
30-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Hmmmm... the colors seem to match decently... the font you've used is horrid though :P The font for "complete the challenge" at the top, always just makes me think bad about the site.. not sure why.

I'm not a fan of the gradient in the content box either... just me though.

Yeah it's just the default font i had selected. I just wanted to see how the colours interacted with each other. Thats not the content box. The black is the background and the blue on the left is going to be the userbar. I've tried a few different colour ideas and i'll post some pictures up later.

Sam
01-12-2010, 12:17 AM
Apologies for double post:

Revised version:

http://i56.tinypic.com/29axqg9.png

NOTE: Ignore the text on the nav. I was testing how to set everything out. I'm aware its vile :L Moving stuff around and trying different colours :D

That black on my first version actually looks appauling. I need to shift everything down to make room for the banner / logo but im up at 5 so sleeping now. I also want to change the blue of the userbar to something more like the navigation..

Zak
01-12-2010, 01:47 AM
Don't worry about double post Sam, you're adding information, which I believe is fine by forum rules. So James told me a few days ago :)

Good point so far is, I think the colours flow much better and the look is far improved.

I have done you a pic of what i would improve, sorry it's done in paint. Mine is no way perfect, it's probably worse than yours, that's for the users of this forum to decide.

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/7627/picmv.jpg

Dentafrice
01-12-2010, 04:39 AM
The gradient on the left on your new one is horrid, just my opinion :P

Sam
01-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Aha i just looked at it now and thought to myself 'What was i thinking last night?' :L I agree with you Denta. Im not sure where im going with that green box. I just thought it looked kinda funky. I really need to sit down and decide what exactly i want this layout to show.

It looks way to open and boring at the moment. I'll do some serious editing tomorrow probably. Yay for no college.

Dentafrice
02-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Think about it from the standpoint of what the site is really about... finance, travel, education... each of those topics have different color schemes that could match them.

What do you want the mood on the site to be? Do you want it to be a very serious and informative site... a relaxed and less formal site... once you have decided that, do a little research on "relaxed colors" and find some colors that match each other.

Try ColourLovers :) http://www.colourlovers.com/

Sam
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Colourlovers is what i use :D Thanks, i'll post an updated version later.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!