PDA

View Full Version : Android 2.3 question

samsaBEAR
26-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Hey, so I'm thinking about getting an HTC Desire, and I've been looking around the interwebs to see whether it'll get Gingerbread, and I can't find a definite answer.
I don't pretend to be clued up on the releases of Android and all that, but I was just wondering whether anyone who does, knows whether the Desire will get 2.3? I know it has 2.2, and I was wondering whether people in the know would recommend me getting the Desire and hoping for the best (so to speak) or getting a more newer HTC that'll definitely get 2.3.
I have no idea what 2.3 has in it, or even if it's worth me waiting for it, but it makes sense in my head to get a phone that will be able to upgrade to the newest software straight away.

xxMATTGxx
26-11-2010, 01:52 PM
The only real people who would actually know the answer to this is HTC but is probably a possibility for the HTC Desire to get 2.3 when it is fully released.

Recursion
26-11-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes it will, and even 3.0 when it's released.

samsaBEAR
30-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Oh I completely forgot about this thread. Sweet, thanks for answering. I just wanted to make sure before I get what would essentially be a dead end phone. +Reps

HotelUser
02-12-2010, 12:20 PM
The Desire is the sister phone to the Nexus One, which is the official Google developer phone. You're pretty set for updates for a long time :)

jackass
02-12-2010, 04:06 PM
The Desire is the sister phone to the Nexus One, which is the official Google developer phone. You're pretty set for updates for a long time :)

They have said recently though that some of their Android updates for late 2011 will be very hardware intensive, and phones such as the Desire might not be able to cope!

samsaBEAR
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
They have said recently though that some of their Android updates for late 2011 will be very hardware intensive, and phones such as the Desire might not be able to cope!
That's what I saw on quite a few forums, which led me to ask here because I know HotelUser and lots of others here use Android and know about releases and the like.

HotelUser
03-12-2010, 03:06 AM

When a 1ghz phone with a surplus of 512MB RAM can no longer run Android out of the box I'm going to be worried. I want my mobile device to have a small footprint.

xxMATTGxx
03-12-2010, 11:54 AM
When a 1ghz phone with a surplus of 512MB RAM can no longer run Android out of the box I'm going to be worried. I want my mobile device to have a small footprint.

Don't worry the Desire will be fine. It's like with WP7 and Microsoft told the phone makers they should have the following specifications or better, it's a bit like that.

Recursion
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM

It's already been confirmed the Desire will work with the next few updates at least.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!