PDA

View Full Version : MyBB?

triston220
27-11-2010, 01:27 PM
I think it would be a great idea if HabboxForum change software to MyBB.

Pros:

1)It's free
2)It's open source
3)You can download loads of addons for free.
4)Much better features.

Cons:
1) At current there is no merge system to migrate from HabboxForums'a version of vbulletin to MyBB.

Last notes:

Hopefully the merge system for MyBB will be updated allowing HabboxForum to get (in my opinion) the best forum software. Link to merge software: here (http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system).

Josh
27-11-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't see this happening. I shouldn't have to write out a whole paragraph explaining why I disagree so I won't.

Calvin
27-11-2010, 01:31 PM
The first thing everyone would say is "omg HabboxForum noobs on MyBB" and plus vBulletin is much better for new users.

Mr-Trainor
27-11-2010, 01:35 PM
Although MyBB is probably the best free forum software and is very functional, I do not think that HabboxForum should move from vBulletin to MyBB. Mainly because a lot of things would change, like the moderation system which is completely different on MyBB.

Conservative,
27-11-2010, 01:36 PM
VB is better imo, and it won't happen anyway.

triston220
27-11-2010, 01:39 PM
At the end of the day it's up to general management, I just want to know why it won't happen/why people don't want it.

Mathew
27-11-2010, 01:41 PM
At the end of the day it's up to general management, I just want to know why it won't happen/why people don't want it.
Because all the pathetic, failed fansites use MyBB and Habbox won't sink that low. MyBB is crap.

Conservative,
27-11-2010, 01:43 PM
It makes Habbox look free & cheap, plus the features on VB are better (from forum management experience).

triston220
27-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Because all the pathetic, failed fansites use MyBB and Habbox won't sink that low. MyBB is crap.

Just because some failed fansites use it doesn't mean MyBB is crap. Some of the biggest forums use MyBB.

Recursion
27-11-2010, 01:48 PM
MyBB isn't great, and doesn't have any kind of professional support. vB is fine for Habbox's needs and IMO if they moved over to MyBB everything would fall apart and it'd be the death of Habbox.

Now, IPB on the other hand... :P

Samantha
27-11-2010, 01:51 PM
if we used MyBB wouldn't Sierk be out of a job?

Jamesy
27-11-2010, 01:52 PM
I think it would be a great idea if HabboxForum change software to MyBB.

Pros:

1)It's free
2)It's open source
3)You can download loads of addons for free.
4)Much better features.

Cons:
1) At current there is no merge system to migrate from HabboxForums'a version of vbulletin to MyBB.

Last notes:

Hopefully the merge system for MyBB will be updated allowing HabboxForum to get (in my opinion) the best forum software. Link to merge software: here (http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system).

I disagree for a number of quite crucial and key reasons:

1): Every single skin would need to be re done. As I'm the only person here who makes the skins for Habbox I don't think it's in my best interest to redo a years worth of work.

2): Free doesn't make a difference since the license is paid for up until vBulletin 5.x

3): Open source again doesn't affect the day to day running of the forum

4): www.vbulletin.org / writing them myself

5): You say better features, yet you've not listed any.

6): No merging software

I don't particularly like vB4 but it does the job and it serves us well, to change the entire forum software for some pretty shakey reasons is pretty mad.

xxMATTGxx
27-11-2010, 01:54 PM
No, no nooooo. Just no! VB or IPB or that other one but then again that is probably getting closed by the owners of VB.

triston220
27-11-2010, 01:57 PM
Why would Sierk be out of a job? Jamesy, what do you mean by point four?

Josh
27-11-2010, 02:04 PM
You can download addons from vbulletin free and he can also write them himself.

GommeInc
27-11-2010, 02:24 PM
Now, IPB on the other hand... :P
<3

Habbox doesn't need to change forum. Why would it? It's stable as it is: It does the job, it has support and would requires ages to move over to it. Plus the point you made is a very serious one, that as of yet there is no merging/transfer abilities for MyBB for this type of forum. It's too much effort, all because it's "free". There are way more cons than pros.

Hecktix
27-11-2010, 10:18 PM
myBB isn't better than VB - it's very good free software, but it's not vBulletin, if you have problem with myBB you contact them and they're like "blah blah blah", whereas with VB as much as Jin and James will curse them, have better customer support purely because we are paying.

There's nothing wrong with vBulletin, infact I really like vB4 (waits for James to hit me) and think it has a lot of potential for Habbox. Don't fix what isn't broken eh? :P

Sharon
27-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Just because some failed fansites use it doesn't mean MyBB is crap. Some of the biggest forums use MyBB.

like who.

It makes it look cheap and tacky, and the Admin CP on there isn't GREAT and tbh it's just really annoying to see.

Jamesy
27-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Don't fix what isn't broken eh? :P

I dunno about that given the state of some of their releases in the 4.x series!

nat965
27-11-2010, 10:27 PM
It would be a pain for the moderation team because you can't soft-delete posts (If the moderators do it that way..)

AgnesIO
27-11-2010, 11:16 PM
As a ten year old, I know you would see mybb and think "omg free software - nooby!!!one11!!". vB is not incredible but it does the required job really well, and is probably the best forum software out there.

triston220
28-11-2010, 01:34 PM
^I'm not 10.

Support wil be better on vBulletin because it is paid.

I haven't been an Administrator on vBulletin so I can't compare.

I much prefer the reputation system on MyBB, as well as the warning system.

Alupe
28-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Naw, i really like vBulletin - Mybb is really horrible to use even if it is a good software.

Samantha
28-11-2010, 02:00 PM
At the end of the day Habbox isn't going to change to MyBB is it.

AgnesIO
28-11-2010, 02:06 PM
^I'm not 10.

Support wil be better on vBulletin because it is paid.

I haven't been an Administrator on vBulletin so I can't compare.

I much prefer the reputation system on MyBB, as well as the warning system.

Please say where I said 'triston220 is ten'

triston220
28-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I realise now it may be a bit hard to switch to MyBB. I was just trying to find out who would prefer it.

Chippiewill
28-11-2010, 03:20 PM
At the end of the day Management has no say and when Jin sees this thread he'll just say no. MyBB is terrible in comparison and I wouldn't even attempt to convince Jin of IPB.

triston220
30-11-2010, 09:44 AM
At the end of the day Management has no say and when Jin sees this thread he'll just say no. MyBB is terrible in comparison and I wouldn't even attempt to convince Jin of IPB.

Read my last post please. -_-.

Chippiewill
30-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Read my last post please. -_-.
Mmkk

Yeah, I realise now it may be a bit hard to switch to MyBB. I was just trying to find out who would prefer it.
Why do you feel the need to find out who prefers it? And why did you post it in Habbox Feedback if that was your goal?

triston220
30-11-2010, 05:17 PM
Mmkk

Why do you feel the need to find out who prefers it? And why did you post it in Habbox Feedback if that was your goal?

No, I did want to find out if a conversion was possible. After I realised it, it was my aim to find out who prefers it, as I can't close this thread, (just yet) so I might as well make some use out of it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!