PDA

View Full Version : [Bobba] 'mywebface' toolbar {ITS GOT VIRUS'S DO NOT DOWNLOAD}

.x.miss.angel.x
28-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey, so on the offers you get 7c for downloading the MyWebFace tool bar, Correct?

WELL, you may have noticed it has a search engine on it called My Web search. This websearch is the virus. Even if you uninstall the toolbar it sticks to your hard drive, and won't come off. It took my dad MANY hours a few years ago to get rid of the virus.

SO DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT AT ALL COSTS.

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=my+web+search+virus&aq=3&aqi=g5&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=59a3952636b42f4e

Click the link to see the problems ^ and have a read.

If you have unfortunatly downloaded it then, have fun removing it.. I have contacted habbo about this, waiting for there reply

Samantha
28-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I downloaded it like 5 times and haven't got a virus though. Unless my anti-virus removed that part?

.x.miss.angel.x
28-11-2010, 07:13 PM
I downloaded it like 5 times and haven't got a virus though. Unless my anti-virus removed that part?
It does not show up, its like hidden and stuck i think :L all i know is mywebsearch has bad problem and its on the tool bar ...

Samantha
28-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh I never use the search thing. I always unistall it, and I'm doing a scan now just incase. Thanks for telling us though. :).

.x.miss.angel.x
28-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Oh I never use the search thing. I always unistall it, and I'm doing a scan now just incase. Thanks for telling us though. :).
Yeah, its some sort of hijacking stupid thing which embeds into lots of stuff. I think its best to just make sure its off the computer since we don't need everybody with slow, virusfilled computers xD

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080918013724AAYpz9r
http://www.computing.net/answers/security/help-with-mywebsearch-virus/27078.html (scroll down a bit)
http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml

these should help remove it!

Samantha
28-11-2010, 07:20 PM
No items detected thank god! :).

.x.miss.angel.x
28-11-2010, 07:27 PM
No items detected thank god! :).

good! But hopefully habbo will see sence and see that some of these ad's are dangerous...

Olly.
29-11-2010, 08:19 AM
I was worried about downloading and doing some of them adds. Thatks for telling us though :]

King Regards... Olly

Matthew
29-11-2010, 09:32 AM
thanks for sharing this :) +rep

Catzsy
29-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Excellent post. You could have saved a lot of members a lot of trouble here. This is what this forum is about! Very well done. :D

Steee
29-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Awww a very instresting article here...

Mark
29-11-2010, 10:30 AM
You get nothing free from Habbo unless there is a catch... Can't say i have downloaded it but TrendMicro Titanium doesn't let **** enter my pc or hard drive... :P

faye.
29-11-2010, 11:29 AM
heh, never heard of that toolbar thing?
when i got a really bad virus, it kept popping up with 'your computer is at risk' at the bottom, then pops up with this thing to get rid of it, it was fake ofc and had lots of malwear & keylogger things. i deleted my account because it was that bad, then made a new account on my laptop and it's fine now :').

marine
29-11-2010, 12:51 PM
It's not worth doing any of the 'free' credits things, you either need to go to some dodgy site or download virus' ;s

sophiethenerd
29-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the warning.I nearly downloaded it.

Samantha
29-11-2010, 04:12 PM
I didn't get a virus for downloading it and uninstalling it after I got the credits, but I guess I must have a good antivirus. Wouldn't reccommend you doing same though. Once again thank you.

.x.miss.angel.x
29-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Im glad to of helped some people before it was too late. Somtimes people don't have anti-virus's because they are too complicated or expensive. but tbh, it would be more expensive to keep getting your computer fixed so if you don't have one, download one

And these are some other toolbars which have the same virus;

Smiley Central (where i got my virus, my dad was not too happy XD)
Cursor Mania (wait, i had that too :L)
My Mail Stationary,
My Mail Signature
PopSwatter
Popular Screensavers
My Mail Signature,
Webfitti
My way Website portal
My Way speedbar
and many others, but they are the main ones so look out for it when downloading any sort of toolbar!

Samantha
29-11-2010, 05:39 PM
I so used to have webfetti LOL.

Download Ad-aware best free anti-virus there is :).

.x.miss.angel.x
29-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I so used to have webfetti LOL.

Download Ad-aware best free anti-virus there is :).

Lol XD I have bull gaurd with some dog.. My dad just gave it to me, before i had the rubbish free one which caused stress XD and i was just about to edit the post above (i can't seem to) to post this piccy of stuff i just found..

http://i52.tinypic.com/dmbaz9.jpg

hee hee. OH i spelt dodgy wrong or did i :L..

.x.miss.angel.x
03-12-2010, 07:16 PM
Hello,
Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.
All offers undergo regular review by our payment partner to make sure they are up to our standards and free from any malicious software. We have passed your concern along to our payment partner and are in the process of having that specific survey fully inspected.
Yours,
Habbo.com Customer Support

message i got back from habbo :L

matt$
03-12-2010, 07:24 PM
It isnt a harmful virus it just causes a few problems, such as sometimes if you type lets say 'argos' in the url searchbar on some browsers it'll come up with loads of spam sites and popups due to MyWebSearch, other than annoying popups it isnt much of a virus, but still not worth the 7c for that.

karter
04-12-2010, 04:04 AM
Why would habbo advertise a virus download?

nat965
04-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Thanks for sharing :)

Samantha
05-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Why would habbo advertise a virus download?

Habbo probably never knew. I think they were looking for programs that would allow the toolbar publicity, thinking a lot would download it.
However, Habbo may not have looked into the toolbar with great detail, thus they should have tried it out beforehand themselves and seen if it was safe to use.
Also, they should have tested every offer they had on the site and page because I wouldn't want to keep filling in surveys for hours on end.

Conservative,
05-12-2010, 01:46 AM
My ie has so many toolbars lol. But I think it has this and is fine? Can't remember but thanks for the heads up.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!