PDA

View Full Version : A "like" button

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 09:01 AM
From the Facebook idea yes...

Basically, sometimes I see a post i find amusing or something but i don't think it is worth +rep
Same with posts i don't like. Sometimes a see a post that's pointless or stupid but I don't think it's worth a -rep and this is where the "like button" could come in.

Basically if someone posts something you like, you could click the button and then under the post it would say liked by [x].

Then same with dislike..but there should be no limit on liking a certain persons posts..

Maybe it could somehow intertwine with the rep system..I dont know. But I think it's good..in theory anyway.

Alex3213
01-12-2010, 09:04 AM
I've always seen this crop up and I've never liked it because if you liked it, you'd rep it. If you disliked it, you'd rep it. This is just something in between which I personally do not like. I think it should only be a "yes rep" or a "no rep" TBH.

Mathew
01-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Been suggested countless times before and always been turned down. This is kinda the point of the rep system anyway - if you like (or "approve" of) someones post, just give them some rep.

Shar
01-12-2010, 09:06 AM
In my opinion the current reputation system is fine as it is and there isn't a necessity for a new system. The current system is equivalent to the like system.

Josh
01-12-2010, 09:07 AM
Disagree. (Dislike your original post :P) But in seriousness, I don't want to browse an over-complicated forum and this would just make it that.

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Been suggested countless times before and always been turned down. This is kinda the point of the rep system anyway - if you like (or "approve" of) someones post, just give them some rep.

I think the current reputation system is fine as it is and there isn't a necessity for a new system. The current system is equivalent to the like system.

Problem is the limit. And I doubt that will change. I thought it might have been suggested before..but the thing is...I do often find posts amusing but it's not worth +rep. I reserve my +rep for people with good arguments in the debates or current news threads and helpful posts..not because I find them amusing. And I -rep people if I find their posts offensive or disagree with them strongly. Not if it irritates me.

This would be in-between the two. So it's not the equivalent. The 2 key differences would be:

No limitation on people "liking" or "disliking" another members posts.
It wouldn't effect your rep.

Nemo
01-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Its been suggested somewhat recently and was turned down by management.

Alex3213
01-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Problem is the limit. And I doubt that will change. I thought it might have been suggested before..but the thing is...I do often find posts amusing but it's not worth +rep. I reserve my +rep for people with good arguments in the debates or current news threads and helpful posts..not because I find them amusing. And I -rep people if I find their posts offensive or disagree with them strongly. Not if it irritates me.

This would be in-between the two. So it's not the equivalent. The 2 key differences would be:

No limitation on people "liking" or "disliking" another members posts.
It wouldn't effect your rep.

Yes but that moves onto the next point: being complicated. It's two different rep systems, how will you know what one to use? Just use it for the sake of it? I just don't see it happening because it's just not needed, the rep system is there with a limit for a reason (although I don't like the spreadng rule, I'd rather have a x amount of time rule like Minstrels sugggested) and we do not need another rep system with "no counter" imo.

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Yes but that moves onto the next point: being complicated. It's two different rep systems, how will you know what one to use? Just use it for the sake of it? I just don't see it happening because it's just not needed, the rep system is there with a limit for a reason (although I don't like the spreadng rule, I'd rather have a x amount of time rule like Minstrels sugggested) and we do not need another rep system with "no counter" imo.

If they changed it to time that would be good. :)

And if people read the rules like they should nothing would be complicated, because it would be explained there.

Josh
01-12-2010, 09:17 AM

And if people read the rules like they should nothing would be complicated, because it would be explained there.

"The Rules"???????????????

I don't want to be limited to what I +rep, -rep, like and dislike by rules.

It'd just be too complicated and is an unneeded change which would practically be useless. Would you +rep and like them if that post was good? Would you dislike and -rep if the post was bad?

Alex3213
01-12-2010, 09:19 AM

That's not what's complicated. It's two rep systems, we need one which is beneficial*: one where you can gain points over a period of time from other users.

*I say beneficial but it's not really, it doesn't do anything.

Samantha
01-12-2010, 09:35 AM
Has this thread been made just because TryHabbo introduced the 'like' system yesterday? Also it has been asked and shot down before, I don't see a need for it. If I feel a post is worthyof rep I will give it, not just for the sake of it, same if we used the like system I don't see the point. Sorry.

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 09:38 AM
Has this thread been made just because TryHabbo introduced the 'like' system yesterday? Also it has been asked and shot down before, I don't see a need for it. If I feel a post is worthyof rep I will give it, not just for the sake of it, same if we used the like system I don't see the point. Sorry.

Why would I even go to Tryhabbo? I haven't been on their forum since you asked me to -.-'

And the point is...I'm sure everyone here has liked a post in the jokes or spam section - found it amusing but hasn't bothered wasting rep on it, or maybe has found a post irritating but didn't want to waste -rep. That would be what it's for...

Alex3213
01-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Why would I even go to Tryhabbo? I haven't been on their forum since you asked me to -.-'

And the point is...I'm sure everyone here has liked a post in the jokes or spam section - found it amusing but hasn't bothered wasting rep on it, or maybe has found a post irritating but didn't want to waste -rep. That would be what it's for...

No, I +rep if I like it, I -rep if I don't. I don't decide to think "hmmmmm thats kl but no not rep" as that's what it's there for!

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
No, I +rep if I like it, I -rep if I don't. I don't decide to think "hmmmmm thats kl but no not rep" as that's what it's there for!

But what if I want to +rep them for something much more meaningful later and I can't because the annoying system? If they removed the certain amount of rep between repping someone again and changed it to like 24 hours then I'd be happier.

Nemo
01-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Honestly robbie, no one really seems to agree with you and management have already turned it down, seems like a one man battle :P

Pyroka
01-12-2010, 10:08 AM
In short, don't fix something if it isn't broken.

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Honestly robbie, no one really seems to agree with you and management have already turned it down, seems like a one man battle :P
True lol. I spose but still -.-

In short, don't fix something if it isn't broken.
It is broken though. I hate the way I have to wait to rep someone. Because I don't give out LOADS of rep, so it's annoying? They should change it to a time limit -.- then there would be no need for this.

Pyroka
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
True lol. I spose but still -.-

It is broken though. I hate the way I have to wait to rep someone. Because I don't give out LOADS of rep, so it's annoying? They should change it to a time limit -.- then there would be no need for this.

Then suggest that instead?

That'd be an idea.

Conservative,
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Then suggest that instead?

That'd be an idea.

This was the first idea that came to me. I'll go do that now.

Jordy
01-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Yourself and others need to stop being so stingy with rep, that's why the rep system is so bad these days as so few people give it out. If everyone was a bit more generous it'd work so much better.

GommeInc
01-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Do we really want another rep system with fewer features? :P If you like a thread, you rate it and if you like a post, you add to the rep. It's sort of what the rep system was designed to do.

Yupt
01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Maybe if you wanted to create a facebook idea then you could allow on the post to see who +rep'd you where it says (+x rep) below the rep'd post.

Rixion
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
I actually like this idea and I know some forums have a "Thanks" system.. but yes there's rep but you only get 10 of that per day.

despect
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
isnt that what the +rep and -rep is for? if you don't like a post you'd obviously -rep it if you like it then you'd +rep it?

beautiful
01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Mmm, they've done this over at TryHabbo yesterday. It's quite cool and I agree. It saves people replying to posts with 'this' or '[2]'.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!