PDA

View Full Version : Is there life on other planets?

-Danube-
02-12-2010, 09:33 AM
http://www.madtomatoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/across-the-universe.jpg

A topic that never seems to be out of the public eye is that of Alien lifeforms living on other planets. Some believe that even our neighbouring planet Mars has (or still could) supported life in the past, albeit in bacterial form. Others believe that in the far reaches of the universe there will be lifeforms very similar to ourselves or even more advance.

It does infact seem scary to think that we could actually be alone in the universe, one tiny phenomenon on a small rocky planet in an insignificant solar system. But it also seems scary to think that there could be other intelligent lifeforms out there, what happens if they find us before we find them? Will they attack? Some farfetched ideas are those of aliens actually already living among us and studying our behaviour.

Do you think it's selfish to think we are alone? Do you think it's safe for us to contact intelligent alien life if we do find it?

DEBATE!!

Conservative,
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I personally believe that there are aliens. I think it is impossible that out of every galaxy, everything that exists, we are the only living, breathing intelligent life forms. They may be in a completely different and peculiar world that is totally different to ours, or they may be on Mars, I do not know. But what I cannot comprehend is how we are alone.

It'd be cool to meet an Alien made of anti-matter, but we wouldn't be able to touch or we'd destroy them >;[. But yeah, i think aliens exist. My simple reason being I do not think there is any possible way we are alone in such a vast universe spanning 15 billion light years.

SirTezza
02-12-2010, 09:59 AM
Great debate topic.

My views tell me there is definitely life on other planets. For anyone to think that we are alone is absolutely ludicrous and so very closed-minded. Currently the agencies that study this phenomena seem to be sticking with life as we know it. However this is a very bad way of looking at life. It is very unlikely that other life will maintain the same conditions that our atmosphere gives us.

The atmosphere was here first and we developed as a result of that. Our bodies function in the correct way needed in order to survive in this type of atmosphere. The nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide and all other ions that make up our own atmosphere are not necessarily what is needed by other forms of life. Scientists up until now have continued to study life based on our own atmosphere, and by doing that they have made it very difficult to find what they are looking for.

It's definitely funny for me when people say, it is general knowledge that there is no life anywhere else. The reason for this is because as life has progressed, we have figured out much more information about the universe. At the beginning of time, it was thought that the sun revolved around the earth, and it was a crime, punishable by death - on the grounds of blasphemy, to say otherwise. It was said that if you walk to far you would simply fall off the earth. On the same note it was thought that weather was a gift or a curse from god.

As life has progressed all of these things have been scientifically diminished. We know that space is not entirely revolving around the earth, and we are definitely not at the centre. We know you will never simply fall off the earth, because of gravity and other effects. We know that the sun is a star, and the only reason it is brighter than all the other stars is because it is closer to us by absolute light-years. We know that rain forms in the atmosphere and is simply water that has gone through the evaporation cycle and then falls back to earth to repeat all over again.

The point I am making here is that we are time and time again finding out more and more about the universe.

We can only see a fraction of the universe, even with our most advanced equipment. From that we know there are at least 100-200 billion galaxies in the universe, each galaxy harbouring hundreds of billions of stars... how do we know that each of those stars (what we know as the sun) doesn't have or never had a planet like earth, or planets that harbour other life forms. In my view it is extremely simple minded to think that we are the only beings on the physical plane.

The notion that aliens are currently on the earth is something I also believe. If an alien race is able to visit our planet, that means they are much more advanced than we are, which allows us to purport that they are able to disguise themselves to look like one of us - or maybe they already do. I also believe that it is wrong for people to label aliens BAD. I imagine they are just like any other race, you have good and you have bad.

I believe aliens are helping our planet. They continually do things to stop our own self-destruction from war and other murderous acts.

In my opinion, if they wanted to hurt us, they would have done it by now.

EDIT: Just seen your post Robbie. If they were made of anti-matter they would be annihilated on contact with regular matter in an instant... i.e the earth, air etc. So don't hold your breath on that one :P lol

karter
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM
No one can actually tell this. I think that there is life on some planet. as SirTezza said , it is not necessary that all living organisms need oxygen to breath , water to drink etc. We humans , are not that scientifically developed that we can say that there is no life on any other planet.

About the attack thing , that's just funny and I don't believe that will happen.

SirTezza
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeh I agree Kromium.

If they wanted to attack us they could have done it by now, it would be so easy for them. We are intelligent as far as we know... but we haven't compared with any other life-forms to judge that accurately. We constantly see UFO's in the sky. Of course, a number of them are hoaxes, but many of them are 100% real in my opinion, and impossible to fake. They fly in the air, with no sound and in a shape that is aerodynamically impossible for us to have made it, without modifications of a higher intelligence, using fuels we don't even have available to us.

We are nothing to aliens in regard to war. If they can visit our planet, then they are simply many, many years ahead with technology, thus we are no threat to them, so why should they attack us?

In my own opinion, aliens have helped to cap our own self destruction. To be honest, if the aliens hadn't intervened then they wouldn't have needed to attack us even if that was their plan, because we would have done it ourselves by now.

Conservative,
02-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Great debate topic.

My views tell me there is definitely life on other planets. For anyone to think that we are alone is absolutely ludicrous and so very closed-minded. Currently the agencies that study this phenomena seem to be sticking with life as we know it. However this is a very bad way of looking at life. It is very unlikely that other life will maintain the same conditions that our atmosphere gives us.

The atmosphere was here first and we developed as a result of that. Our bodies function in the correct way needed in order to survive in this type of atmosphere. The nitrogen, oxygen, argon, carbon dioxide and all other ions that make up our own atmosphere are not necessarily what is needed by other forms of life. Scientists up until now have continued to study life based on our own atmosphere, and by doing that they have made it very difficult to find what they are looking for.

It's definitely funny for me when people say, it is general knowledge that there is no life anywhere else. The reason for this is because as life has progressed, we have figured out much more information about the universe. At the beginning of time, it was thought that the sun revolved around the earth, and it was a crime, punishable by death - on the grounds of blasphemy, to say otherwise. It was said that if you walk to far you would simply fall off the earth. On the same note it was thought that weather was a gift or a curse from god.

As life has progressed all of these things have been scientifically diminished. We know that space is not entirely revolving around the earth, and we are definitely not at the centre. We know you will never simply fall off the earth, because of gravity and other effects. We know that the sun is a star, and the only reason it is brighter than all the other stars is because it is closer to us by absolute light-years. We know that rain forms in the atmosphere and is simply water that has gone through the evaporation cycle and then falls back to earth to repeat all over again.

The point I am making here is that we are time and time again finding out more and more about the universe.

We can only see a fraction of the universe, even with our most advanced equipment. From that we know there are at least 100-200 billion galaxies in the universe, each galaxy harbouring hundreds of billions of stars... how do we know that each of those stars (what we know as the sun) doesn't have or never had a planet like earth, or planets that harbour other life forms. In my view it is extremely simple minded to think that we are the only beings on the physical plane.

The notion that aliens are currently on the earth is something I also believe. If an alien race is able to visit our planet, that means they are much more advanced than we are, which allows us to purport that they are able to disguise themselves to look like one of us - or maybe they already do. I also believe that it is wrong for people to label aliens BAD. I imagine they are just like any other race, you have good and you have bad.

I believe aliens are helping our planet. They continually do things to stop our own self-destruction from war and other murderous acts.

In my opinion, if they wanted to hurt us, they would have done it by now.

EDIT: Just seen your post Robbie. If they were made of anti-matter they would be annihilated on contact with regular matter in an instant... i.e the earth, air etc. So don't hold your breath on that one :P lol
Lol I know, if only they could somehow conceal themselves in a vacuum :(

But great argument there. I agree that if aliens did exist, they wouldn't all be hostile and trying to kill us. Some would be nice and some wouldn't.

No one can actually tell this. I think that there is life on some planet. as SirTezza said , it is not necessary that all living organisms need oxygen to breath , water to drink etc. We humans , are not that scientifically developed that we can say that there is no life on any other planet.

About the attack thing , that's just funny and I don't believe that will happen.

Yes I agree with this. No one can say whether or not aliens exist because there is no proof either way, however we can say aliens are most likely to exist due to various factors (ie; the new bacteria found a few days ago surviving on thought to be un-inhabitable land) and the fact that they may not adapt like us, and could potentially live in hostile environments. :)

SirTezza
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Lol I know, if only they could somehow conceal themselves in a vacuum

But great argument there. I agree that if aliens did exist, they wouldn't all be hostile and trying to kill us. Some would be nice and some wouldn't.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were alien life forms created by anti-matter. They just simply wouldn't be able to come in contact with matter... they have a whole playground up there they can survive in if that is what they are created of :) If life can be created from matter, it could just as easily be created by the negative... perhaps to them, we are the anti-matter.

However in the early time of the big bang most of the anti-matter was destroyed thanks to their being much more matter.

Nobody has proven of disproven alien life, but in my mind it definitely safe to say we are not alone. I am a scientific man so I follow information that we find from studies, and not what we are told by religion, for example.

We are a smart race, we have advanced very far over the years, however we could be a very, very young planet in relation to others out there, meaning that other races could be light-years ahead of us in technology terms. We are babies, but we are learning so much everyday.

Eoin247
02-12-2010, 11:28 AM
All my life i have believed that there is other life out there. I mean nearly everything points towards it. By the law of averages and with the amount of planets out ther that are believed to be suitable for life, it all seems to point towards life.

I also believe that when we do encounter other life, we will find that they are quite simular in looks to us. It's really a mater of when rather than if we will encounter life.

Toasten
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't know much scientific stuff but something does come to me. No way that out of all the planets only our planet has life! Surely on some other planet or even space that is not explored life must exist.

Eoin247
02-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Hmm, only problem with this debate is i don't think anybodies going to say that there's no other life out there.

Many scientists believe that life on earth actualy came from a different planet originaly, and apparently theres some evidense for this.

HotelUser
02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
If there's a small possibility for something in space it's like 99.99% to be true somewhere.

There's hundreds of planets in our Galaxy alone, and then there's 125 billion Galaxies.

It's not crazy to believe in extra terrestrial life, it's crazy not to.

SirTezza
02-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Yup, it is crazy not to believe in ET life.

We are not alone in my opinion.

As I said in a previous post, I am a scientist and that is the research I follow. So with that in mind, I use the Big Bang Theory to suggest just how possible it is for other life forms to exist.

Before the Big Bang, everything that exists, matter and energy consisted as a singularity. Basically that is a point of infinite density and an extremely high temperature. The singularity lived in the vacuum of space until one day it exploded. The explosion caused all the matter to move in different directions at very high speeds. At this point they were still extremely hot. However once the particles cooled they began to stick together. Cooling even more and becoming a controlled environment.

Now there is a lot more that I could explain, but I wont... but basically gas and matter formed to create the many suns, including ours. A cloud of particles spun around collecting other matter into its disc, and this is now called the solar nebula.

So, the particles stick together creating massive balls of mass, that we now call planets. Over the years they continually grew and fused together.

So the reason I mentioned that was to share with you how random the creation of the universe was. We are not here because we were always supposed to be... we are here because we grew, and our DNA make up came to survive with what the atmosphere provided. This process of evolution could have happened anywhere in the entire universe, they could have learnt to survive in their own particular way... perhaps they are sitting at home on their computers pondering the same questions...

Narnat,
03-12-2010, 10:03 AM
This is actually quite a good topic!

I personally think their is something else out their. Why would we be the only ones ? It would seem a bit stupid. I have often thought about it. I think their may have been something out there thousands and thousands of years ago. However it still gets to me how their is no evidence.

Conservative,
03-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Hmm, only problem with this debate is i don't think anybodies going to say that there's no other life out there.

Many scientists believe that life on earth actualy came from a different planet originaly, and apparently theres some evidense for this.

May I ask if you know why planet and what evidence?

SirTezza
03-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Everything that we see is created from matter.

That matter was created via a the big bang which caused them to blast apart from singularity and inevitably join up and fuse together, creating the planets.

From there life began, and it started adapting to the atmosphere it was given. The same would have happened on other planets as well.

We are not here because we are unique, and earth is not special. The reason we have no strong evidence of other planets with life is simply that we don't have the technology to explore each galaxy.

We have only searched locally for life. With the vast vacuum of space, we don't have to be close to other life for it to be there.

karter
03-12-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't even think we should keep searching for alien life out there , there are like billions of galaxies , stars and satellites.
Plus scientists are finding those planets actually having oxygen or water in them! That's like senseless.
It is called "Alien Life" for a reason...

Arcade$
03-12-2010, 06:50 PM
There has to be life on other planets. Think of the hundreds of millions of galaxies nearly identical to ours, there must also be planets similar to ours that have the ability to host life. I would say it's almost a certainty that there is life on other planets.

SirTezza
03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Yeh I agree that there is probably life identical to ours on some of the planets, judging by how many there are. But people often forget that even if they don't find planets with the same atmospheric conditions as Earth, it doesn't mean there isn't life there... it is just simply life that is supported by different components.

Scientists are beginning to open their research onto looking at other means of supporting a different kind of life system. This is the time when they start to get somewhere!

-:Undertaker:-
04-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Imagine the Earth as a grain of sand - now *attempt* to imagine how many grains of sand are knocking about.

That is the Earth compared to the size of the Universe in the best terms we humans can put it, however I would certainly not go looking for alien life.

SirTezza
07-12-2010, 04:03 AM
I have always said that alien races will be similar in the way they act. For example, there will be good and bad aliens. People on Earth assume they will be the latter without a thought. That is unfortunate, because in my opinion aliens have been saving us from self destruction for many years.

Different doesn't mean bad.

I for one hope for contact.

karter
07-12-2010, 01:07 PM
Also to the person who said a kind of bacteria was found on some planet.
It cannot be any kind of 'bacteria' as Life on Earth originated separately , there is now way that a member of the Monera class is found on another planet.

Accipiter
07-12-2010, 01:37 PM
**** these paragraphs

I find it ignorant that the initial post says life very similar to ours

We've been ignorant for years, and it annoyed me then. But now we have existing proof of alien bacteria that survives on arsenic and thrives in phosphorus, nows the time to stop being ignorant towards biology and realise that just because we survive off certain things doesn't mean others have to.

SirTezza
07-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Also to the person who said a kind of bacteria was found on some planet.
It cannot be any kind of 'bacteria' as Life on Earth originated separately , there is now way that a member of the Monera class is found on another planet.

Organisms with prokaryotic cells can absolutely thrive outside of our own atmosphere and on other planets. NASA have found bacteria that can live off arsenic instead of phosphorous. Meaning it can grow, taking in poisonous cells into its DNA.

Before I am asked the question.. how did it get there, let me answer it.

With spaceflight being a regular feature over the past years, bacteria could have been taken into space. Of course, at first we thought bacteria would be destroyed either during ascent or in the vacuum. However the recent findings have showed bacteria can and has managed to survive the dangerous climate of outer space.

Of course, vigorous cleaning is involved for each part of the space vehicles... but it doesn't stop everything. I would say that that is the answer for why earth bacteria has been found evolving in space. There is thousands of satellites, old and new floating in earth orbit, hundreds of spent rocket stages etc. We assumed our bacteria would die... but the same as with everything.... it learns to live with the surroundings.

As for life different to ours... of course there is :)

karter
07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Organisms with prokaryotic cells can absolutely thrive outside of our own atmosphere and on other planets. NASA have found bacteria that can live off arsenic instead of phosphorous. Meaning it can grow, taking in poisonous cells into its DNA.

Before I am asked the question.. how did it get there, let me answer it.

With spaceflight being a regular feature over the past years, bacteria could have been taken into space. Of course, at first we thought bacteria would be destroyed either during ascent or in the vacuum. However the recent findings have showed bacteria can and has managed to survive the dangerous climate of outer space.

Of course, vigorous cleaning is involved for each part of the space vehicles... but it doesn't stop everything. I would say that that is the answer for why earth bacteria has been found evolving in space. There is thousands of satellites, old and new floating in earth orbit, hundreds of spent rocket stages etc. We assumed our bacteria would die... but the same as with everything.... it learns to live with the surroundings.

As for life different to ours... of course there is :)

I meant that any organisms found in another planets can't be included in the Animal Kingdom of the Earth , even though they show similarities.
And to the bacteria going out in the space , I agree with that. In fact , scientists have proved that there are some Chemosynthetic Bacteria in the outer space.

T@R
07-12-2010, 05:40 PM
I think you'd have to be pretty narrow minded to be absolutely sure there isn't ANY life on ANY other planet, but the real question to me is will we ever make contact with these life forms in my/our lifetime?
I don't think so, unfortuneately.

SirTezza
08-12-2010, 03:23 AM
I meant that any organisms found in another planets can't be included in the Animal Kingdom of the Earth , even though they show similarities.
And to the bacteria going out in the space , I agree with that. In fact , scientists have proved that there are some Chemosynthetic Bacteria in the outer space.

In theory your comment would be right. The animalia kingdom wouldn't be found in space. However the same issues crops up again with spaceflight. Humans have been into space. Monkeys, dogs, rats mice rabbits fish and many more.
They, like us are all described as being eukaryotic organisms.

Who's to say that over the 60 years that animals have been visiting space, none of the organisms lived. It is likely that it grew and learnt to live in the surroundings.

Of course this is not likely but it is certainly possible.

Gibs960
08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
If they didn't exist why do governments around the world have secret files about Aliens. And plus thousands of people claim to have seen aliens, you can't call all of them crazy-people.

SirTezza
08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
If they didn't exist why do governments around the world have secret files about Aliens. And plus thousands of people claim to have seen aliens, you can't call all of them crazy-people.

You are right. But unfortunately in this world, if someone says something that doesn't seem realistic, they label you mad. It is for another discussion, but that is controlled by those of the NWO.

What society claims as normal is not always normality. But you are ridiculed for saying something against what is considered 'normal'. Which is why subjects like this are frowned upon by most, and why governments hide such data.

Felix
09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Of course there is life on other planets. I mean when you think about it you realise that life isn't just humans and monkeys. Life is a combination of things such as, Bacteria and even ants.
Life can be seen as many things though the big one is humans.
When people think of alien's, they think of big green things with different joints to their body.

One day NASA will find a discovery on another planet and it will include sighting's of living creatures. Until then, yes there is life on other planet's, though as far as we know all it is, is bacteria.

Habitacion
02-01-2011, 07:38 PM
http://pilsenradionoticias.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/corazondinio3803.jpg
she should have born in another planet but actually she lives in our planet xd

Edited by Shar, (Forum Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

crazed
02-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I think the universe is too small for there not to be other life.

JACKTARD
03-01-2011, 12:18 AM
http://pilsenradionoticias.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/corazondinio3803.jpg
she should have born in another planet but actually she lives in our planet xd

LOL

--

but nah there isnt.

Judas
03-01-2011, 02:57 AM
i find it hard to convince myself there is, but i find it harder to convince myself there isn't. i just can't see how in so much space, we are alone and just on a tiny fragment of the universe.

i just think that whatever planet they are on, their world would be so completely different to ours that it is beyond anything we could possibly understand. just like the atmosphere of their world and the substances they use to survive and live are probably just beyond us, and it would be the same of them for us, so there would be no way we could ever see or even meet these 'aliens'. forget space ships or whatever, i believe that is an idea conceived by man, so all the sightings of flying saucers and stuff are just rubbish to me tbh because they aren't exactly based on anything factual. i just think that, like us, they have no way of travelling from galaxy to galaxy. but in a thousand years, who knows...

there isnt much evidence to suggest there is life on other planets, but there isnt any that suggests there isnt either.

i believe there is.

orientalframe?
03-01-2011, 09:30 AM
She must of had alot of surgery of some sort. ^^ D:

wiktoria
03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
I don't believe that out of every galaxy only Earth has living creatures. I think there is a life on another planet we are just not advanced enough to find life. I don't believe aliens are green and ugly creatures, but I think they would look different to us. If they find us before we find them I don't think they would attack because they don't know how powerful we are.

Chris
03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
I reckon there is more life somewhere out there. If you think about it we are just one planet out of a gazilion.

Marbian
03-01-2011, 03:37 PM
For me, it's believe in what you see. But with this... We must be stuck up to think we're the only living things in this universee. So what I say is... I dunno! :)

Shoe
04-01-2011, 02:01 AM
Yehh i think so. Just that fact or how big the universe is kinda says thre will be some sort of life form somwhere out there :)

Shar
05-01-2011, 02:40 AM
There's a possibility that there might be so there's no point ruling out that there isn't so yes I do believe in life on other planets, its a possibility.

ChickenFaces
05-01-2011, 03:07 AM
I think that there is, we just haven't found it yet :)

Fiendly
08-01-2011, 04:50 PM
The biggest question is not, is there life on other planets..
But you have to question, is there evidence that there isn't?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!