PDA

View Full Version : NSPCC cartoons on Facebook

Jordy
04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet but lots of my friends on Facebook have changed their profile picture to a cartoon character then posted this message...

'Change your Facebook profile picture to a cartoon character from your childhood and invite your friends to do the same, for the NSPCC. Until Monday (December 6th), there should be no human faces on Facebook, but an invasion... of memories. This is a campaign to stop violence against children.'

Anyone know anymore about it or even taking part?

I get the distinct impression someone just made it up as there's nothing official by the NSPCC about it and I can't help but feel it's doing no good really and a donation would be help the NSPCC a lot more?

Conservative,
04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm doing it...whether or not it does anything I don't care it's just the fact you're showing respect to the NSPCC for doing it. It may not even be official but still it's showing you care.

Jordy
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Is changing your profile picture really showing you care though? You're not actually putting yourself out or benefiting the NSPCC.

Just my thoughts on it anyways.

Conservative,
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Is changing your profile picture really showing you care though? You're not actually putting yourself out or benefiting the NSPCC.

Just my thoughts on it anyways.

You're taking the time & effort to do it. It may not be much but it's showing you're willing enough to do it. And it's aimed at kids/teens, most of which don't have money to donate to the NSPCC so this is another way of raising awareness ect.

Nemo
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought it was raising awareness, its certainly got people talking therefore raising awareness.

And i did it anyway since its nice to get all those childhood memories

Mathew
04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't see the point in this either tbh. All you're doing is changing your profile picture; not donating money or anything. It is getting people talking about it (this thread for example), which I'm guessing is the whole point of it :)

Just another Facebook craze which people set up to try and get famous. I won't be joining in though :P

dogboy123
04-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Practically all my friends have changed theirs, I think it creates some awereness as people are talking about it. If enough people do it it'll probably get some news coverage which is win win

Judas
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
yeah its an awareness thing. im not sure if its official or not but IM MAGIKARP Y'ALL

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
It is pathetic - just some loser who made it up..

It started off as something about 'National Cartoon Day' then someone creates this.

I think everyone knows about the NSPCC anyway :l

Jamesy
04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Not really seeing the point. Lazy activism and I doubt it's benefitting the charity in any way.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
My friend from Portugal did this for some other reason - weeks before this NSPCC one started. And for some reason, I doubt she changed hers for the NSPCC..

Special
04-12-2010, 01:26 PM
i've changed my pic lol

Judas
04-12-2010, 01:31 PM
It is pathetic - just some loser who made it up..

It started off as something about 'National Cartoon Day' then someone creates this.

I think everyone knows about the NSPCC anyway :l

so cos everyone knows about it that means its not a good cause and people shouldnt show their support to the charity in a fun way like this?

some of you need to lighten up i think the nspcc would be very grateful of young people showing their support.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 01:34 PM
so cos everyone knows about it that means its not a good cause and people shouldnt show their support to the charity in a fun way like this?

some of you need to lighten up i think the nspcc would be very grateful of young people showing their support.

Because changing your profile picture is going to help abused children so much..?

I support the charity, and have given MONEY towards it before - but I do not see how 'raising awareness' by changing your profile picture (which was not even started for the NSPCC) is going to help. Just my opinion.

Judas
04-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Because changing your profile picture is going to help abused children so much..?

I support the charity, and have given MONEY towards it before - but I do not see how 'raising awareness' by changing your profile picture (which was not even started for the NSPCC) is going to help. Just my opinion.

youre obviously missing the point completely. if you support the charity you would be glad people are showing it so much love, respect and care. and i'd bet some people would have donated after hearing about this because its just a reminder that these kids do need help. the point is that the pictures bring back good childhood memories, something that a lot of the children the nspcc support won't have.

Circadia
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
changed mine :P I don't care if someone made it up its still nice to show that your trying to promote awareness for the cause. Money is a big help but some people cannot give money what they simple do not have, so this is another way to help the charity as it shows them even though we cannot donate money we are still thinking about abused children and how horrible their life is. Money isn't everything, Caring is more powerful than all the money in the world. If no one cared then the charity wouldn't be in business at least we are trying to help in some sort of way. Money cannot buy happiness, Caring can bring a smile to anybody's face.

sammy
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Changed mine :)! I completely agree with Abi, it doesn't matter if someone just made it up if you know you're promoting the charity :P.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM
youre obviously missing the point completely. if you support the charity you would be glad people are showing it so much love, respect and care. and i'd bet some people would have donated after hearing about this because its just a reminder that these kids do need help. the point is that the pictures bring back good childhood memories, something that a lot of the children the nspcc support won't have.

It was started by someone trying to start a craze - just like most the groups are that are like 'PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FACEBOOK NAME AND I WILL GIVE A MILLION POUNDS TO MY CHARITY'.

My point is, it didn't start as a thing trying to help the NSPCC - that is just another chain thing started by someone.

Judas
04-12-2010, 01:47 PM
It was started by someone trying to start a craze - just like most the groups are that are like 'PLEASE CHANGE YOUR FACEBOOK NAME AND I WILL GIVE A MILLION POUNDS TO MY CHARITY'.

My point is, it didn't start as a thing trying to help the NSPCC - that is just another chain thing started by someone.

does it actually matter? who cares how it started? i dont even know how it did, but its not about that anymore is it? people are changing their pictures for the nspcc so whoever started it, at this point, is irrelevent.

and actually no your point was 'Because changing your profile picture is going to help abused children so much..?'

Circadia
04-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Even if it was started by a normal person for a simple reason to become 'popular' and even if they didnt start it to raise awareness for NSPCC. people are doing it for the reason to raise awareness for the charity so its still creating a good thing out of something like becoming popular. If people are thinking 'lets do this for NSPCC' its still showing that they care even if the person who started didn't do it for that reason people are doing it for the reason to raise awareness to the charity.

Zak
04-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Changed mine - I just think it's a bit of fun. It's kind of free advertising for the NSPCC too, but I do agree with someone just making this up :)

- I'm disney's robin hood ;D

Special
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
mines tails from sonic lol

Deak
04-12-2010, 02:20 PM
I've changed my pic :)

Conservative,
04-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm Bart Simpson. Lol.

Circadia
04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Mines top cat :L

jackass
04-12-2010, 02:35 PM
What are you guys on about? It's not about benefiting the charity directly, it's about raising awareness of violence to children...

Misawa
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
No - it won't change a thing.

kuzkasate
04-12-2010, 02:42 PM
All my friends have got them, but I dont know which one to put up lol

Jordan
04-12-2010, 02:43 PM
I changed mine to the flintstones <3

Misawa
04-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Who hasn't heard of the NSPCC? 99.9 percent of people putting up these pictures have never donated to the charity. Completely pointless.

jackass
04-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Who hasn't heard of the NSPCC? 99.9 percent of people putting up these pictures have never donated to the charity. Completely pointless.

Bloody hell you're ignorant.

spysciencelover
04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Because i'm a kid, I'm doin this for the children (like me) of Britain!

Callum.
04-12-2010, 03:14 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/5/original/pedobear.jpg?1229148177

touched me in many ways.

on topic, no I'm not conforming to a fake campaign.

Misawa
04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Bloody hell you're ignorant.

No, I'm far from it. I've actually donated to charities before unlike just about everyone who is putting these pictures up. They won't donate enough to miss out on a cup of coffee at Starbucks in the morning, but they'll "do their bit" by putting up a photo that will change nothing. I've also just had a victim of child abuse agree wholeheartedly with me.

If you think this is completely and utterly pointless and two-faced, put this as your status:
Change your Facebook profile picture to a spork and invite your friends to do the same. Until Monday (December 6), there should be no human nor cartoon faces on Facebook, but quite simply an invasion of sporks, big and small, metal and plastic. This is for the fight against discarded sporks. Obviously.

jackass
04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
No, I'm far from it. I've actually donated to charities before unlike just about everyone who is putting these pictures up. They won't donate enough to miss out on a cup of coffee at Starbucks in the morning, but they'll "do their bit" by putting up a photo that will change nothing. I've also just had a victim of child abuse agree wholeheartedly with me.

If you think this is completely and utterly pointless and two-faced, put this as your status:
Change your Facebook profile picture to a spork and invite your friends to do the same. Until Monday (December 6), there should be no human nor cartoon faces on Facebook, but quite simply an invasion of sporks, big and small, metal and plastic. This is for the fight against discarded sporks. Obviously.

But that isn't what it's about! It doesn't even have a direct constraint to the NSPCC.

The objective of this is not to see any human faces on facebook but an invasion of memories for the fight against Violence to Children. Remember we were kids too.

It's merely to raise awareness of child abuse, and to help as an active deterrent by putting the users in the mindset that they are/were still kids.

Jordy
04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Change your Facebook profile picture to a spork and invite your friends to do the same. Until Monday (December 6), there should be no human nor cartoon faces on Facebook, but quite simply an invasion of sporks, big and small, metal and plastic. This is for the fight against discarded sporks. Obviously.Haha just done that, got a lot of likes ;) - Did you come up with it?

Misawa
04-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, I came up with it after writing a status about how pointless this all is. Low and behold 50 people have commented on it in 10 minutes in agreement.

lawrawrrr
04-12-2010, 03:49 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/system/icons/5/original/pedobear.jpg?1229148177

touched me in many ways.

Win. That is all.

I've got minnie mouse as mine <3
And i've donated in the past. It's important, and at least it's raising awareness?

Judas
04-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Yes, I came up with it after writing a status about how pointless this all is. Low and behold 50 people have commented on it in 10 minutes in agreement.

all your friends on facebook must be as sad, boring and stuck up as yourself then.

no one ever said it was going to change these childrens lives, but its good intentions. i dont understand whats so wrong with it? get a grip

dogboy123
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Just because people don't donate money it doesnt mean that its not helping. Publicity and awereness of a charity can help loads. The reason so many of your friends commented on it is because they're probably all middle aged boring sods who have the same arrogant view as you. It's a bit of fun and has people talking about the charity, even though people have heard about it doesn't mean people should forget about it, most people have heard of Help For Heroes but that still gets awereness.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 04:56 PM
all your friends on facebook must be as sad, boring and stuck up as yourself then.

no one ever said it was going to change these childrens lives, but its good intentions. i dont understand whats so wrong with it? get a grip

You cannot call his friends sad, when you think you are doing anything to help abuse against children..

Judas
04-12-2010, 05:08 PM
You cannot call his friends sad, when you think you are doing anything to help abuse against children..

his friends are sad. there. and you clearly didnt read what i said.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
his friends are sad. there. and you clearly didnt read what i said.

And you clearly did not read my post. You cannot call his friends sad, WHEN...

Misawa
04-12-2010, 05:12 PM
On the flipside of your assumption, they're actually well liked, respected and successful people. Oh and now I have four victims of child abuse who have supported what I've said. If you care so much, do something that actually makes a different rather than being two-faced over the internet and being a sheep. It is those who are ignorant, not those who agree with me - we're the ones who actually do something. You are so shortsighted.

FlyingJesus
04-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh hey look a picture associated with children's entertainment, seeing this has totally made me not want to beat my son any more

Judas
04-12-2010, 05:17 PM
On the flipside of your assumption, they're actually well liked, respected and successful people. Oh and now I have four victims of child abuse who have supported what I've said. If you care so much, do something that actually makes a different rather than being two-faced over the internet and being a sheep. It is those who are ignorant, not those who agree with me - we're the ones who actually do something. You are so shortsighted.

theres you talking about assumptions, like i havent actually donated. im just not one of these people that come in like IVE DONATED TO THE NSPCC BECAUSE I AM A SAINT. and im not even going to ask where youre picking up these 'victims of child abuse' :S. please explain to me how im being two faced over the internet? do you want me to come to your house and say this?

oh and i guess i must be a sheep because im not agreeing with your opinion, right?

And you clearly did not read my post. You cannot call his friends sad, WHEN...

well i did? read that post of mine again. i never said i was doing anything to help the children directly. even though i have donated but thats beside the point

Swastika
04-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Changing your facebook profile picture doesn't help stop child abuse on any level, quite pointless and a waste of time if you ask me.
Least your friends have good intentions though.

-Heart
04-12-2010, 05:38 PM

I went for Catdog.

Nikki
04-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't see why everyone made a big deal out of this. Its made with good intentions. It was done with a breast cancer charity, where women just put the colour of their bras as a status. The woman who made it up, got publicity for her charity.
if you want to read more on that:http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/cartoon-characters-facebook-profile-pictures/story?id=12313096&page=1

Anyway, even though it not raising money, its respectful. Everyone on my facebook has done it. I chose Simbaaaa!

Gibs960
04-12-2010, 08:50 PM
I changed my to rugrats, apparently it's an appeal by the NSPCC. I've seen the advert I think. Link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpReQprVjag&feature=player_embedded

The child is a cartoon as you can see, that's why you have to put your pp as a cartoon I think!

Hushie
04-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I've got mine set to Ash and Pikachu. Facebook is so much more fun when everything reminds me of my childhood.

And to everyone who's complaining. Shut up please. Stop moaning for the sake of moaning. Changing your profile picture to a childhood memory for fun isn't doing any harm. It is raising awareness for something that does need to be stopped and you can't deny that; just read the many news articles that have sprung up about this. No, it's not going to help children directly but even if it does influence just a few people to donate money to charities like the NSPCC then it can be nothing but a good thing.

What stupid, ignorant things to say. How do you know whether people have donated to charities before? Don't make such judgemental statements without any evidence to back them up in future; it makes you look very silly.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I've got mine set to Ash and Pikachu. Facebook is so much more fun when everything reminds me of my childhood.

And to everyone who's complaining. Shut up please. Stop moaning for the sake of moaning. Changing your profile picture to a childhood memory for fun isn't doing any harm. It is raising awareness for something that does need to be stopped and you can't deny that; just read the many news articles that have sprung up about this. No, it's not going to help children directly but even if it does influence just a few people to donate money to charities like the NSPCC then it can be nothing but a good thing.

What stupid, ignorant things to say. How do you know whether people have donated to charities before? Don't make such judgemental statements without any evidence to back them up in future; it makes you look very silly.

How muchh have you donated?

dirrty
04-12-2010, 09:01 PM
mines goku from dragonball z OBVIOUSLY

Gibs960
04-12-2010, 09:04 PM
I don't think donating is the reason behind this appeal as the video I posted states at the end "If you think a child is being abused, do something". That could mean by donating money every month or just making sure everyone is aware that this sort of thing happens and that if they think someone is being abused it doesn't hurt anyone to make a quick phone call to NSPCC.

Hushie
04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
How muchh have you donated?

I've donated to the NSPCC and other charities countless times and will keep on doing so.
I don't really see what you're trying to say...

Misawa
04-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't need evidence, "Vanity", it's fact. A small percent of people donate to the NSPCC, therefore a minute amount of those changing their pictures to cartoons would have done the same.

If you want to help out, if you really give a damn, give money. If you want to sit behind a computer and put a cartoon character as your pic simply because you're following everybody else, that's ignorance. From Monday none of them will think twice about the NSPCC again. I admire the sentiment, but it's utterly pointless. It's like putting a dog or cat as your profile picture for a weekend to "raise awareness" for the plight of animals thrown in bin bags with bricks into a canal.

Good, I'm glad you've donated, you give a damn. You're one of a very small number of people in the grand scheme of this fad, because that's all it is. I wish it wasn't - I wish Facebook would somehow use some non-existent technology to donate £1 per photo, but that's not the case and so this isn't going to change anything. It's moronic for someone to single me out as "ignorant" when in actuality I'm standing up for the NSPCC, it's just people are far too fickle to realise. Like I said earlier, victims of child abuse have supported me on Facebook.

Phil
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
As sad as it may sound I don't want a cartoon pic sitting randomly in my pics and tbh I don't know who I would put. I suppose it shows support but there's no benefit. I think raising €540 for them is more support than this.

Misawa
04-12-2010, 09:14 PM
there's no benefit. I think raising €540 for them is more support than this.

This...

Hushie
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Firstly, "Misawa", without evidence a fact is not a fact it is merely an opinion and in your case a very close-minded one.
Last time I checked, there wasn't a rule that stated you could only either donate money to charity or change your profile picture, I'm quite sure you can do both. Please stop generalising thousands of people and if you don't like the idea then don't partake in it. Stop trying to make those people who are taking part feel bad.

Gibs960
04-12-2010, 09:16 PM
As sad as it may sound I don't want a cartoon pic sitting randomly in my pics and tbh I don't know who I would put. I suppose it shows support but there's no benefit. I think raising €540 for them is more support than this.

Stitch?

Misawa
04-12-2010, 09:18 PM
Firstly, "Misawa", without evidence a fact is not a fact it is merely an opinion and in your case a very close-minded one.
Last time I checked, there wasn't a rule that stated you could only either donate money to charity or change your profile picture, I'm quite sure you can do both. Please stop generalising thousands of people and if you don't like the idea then don't partake in it. Stop trying to make those people who are taking part feel bad.

I don't care that people are doing it - it doesn't bother me what their pictures are for two days - I'm just stating the it's completely pointless.

Jessicrawrr
04-12-2010, 09:19 PM
I done it, i think it's a nice gesture towards it.

Special
04-12-2010, 09:21 PM

money isn't everything - this facebook campaign is for AWARENESS

triston220
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm doing this, whether it's official or not, it's showing the NSPCC respect.

Misawa
04-12-2010, 09:23 PM
money isn't everything - this facebook campaign is for AWARENESS

Everyone is already aware of child abuse and the NSPCC.

Sharon
04-12-2010, 09:24 PM
ive done it and pretty much 150 peopel on my f.l have

its cute

Phil
04-12-2010, 09:26 PM
Stitch?

Lol, wasn't really a chilhood thing. If anything it's be like Simba, Pokémon or Postman Pat or something. Stitch came when I was like ten?

Special
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM

everyone is aware of cancer but there are still campaignes

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Ok give evidence you have donated to the NSPCC countless times.

I look forward to seeing it.

Hushie
04-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Well now you're just being silly aren't you. :rolleyes:

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Well now you're just being silly aren't you. :rolleyes:

You said a fact is not a fact without evidence, now since you have donated many times (which I bet you haven't), I asked you to prove it.

Ed.
04-12-2010, 09:32 PM
I've done it and all my friends have. Literally so many people.

Hushie
04-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Well I obviously can't provide you with any evidence to show I've donated can I? Don't make such assumptions about me when you know nothing at all about me. That's highly insulting.

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Well I obviously can't provide you with any evidence to show I've donated can I? Don't make such assumptions about me when you know nothing at all about me. That's highly insulting.

Pleased to hear it, as I find it insulting to kids who have been abused that the only way people on facebook can think of to help them, is by creating a pointless chain thing.

Judas
04-12-2010, 09:37 PM

so weve heard of it but should just never think about it ever again and probably forget it. you said no one will think of the nspcc two days after this whole thing is over... doesnt that make the campaign seem worthwhile as it is bringing it up prominently in modern day culture? thats what its about.

Ok give evidence you have donated to the NSPCC countless times.

I look forward to seeing it.

PLEASE get a grip. donating to charity is NOT about glorifying yourself, its about helping people that are worse off than you. if others have said they have donated to a charity that you support you should be happy about that and not sit there on your high horse doubting them.

Hushie
04-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Pleased to hear it, as I find it insulting to kids who have been abused that the only way people on facebook can think of to help them, is by creating a pointless chain thing.

Well in that case, I find it insulting to kids who have been abused when people like you try to take all the meaning out of gestures like this and pass judgement on those who take part for absolutely no reason.

so weve heard of it but should just never think about it ever again and probably forget it. you said no one will think of the nspcc two days after this whole thing is over... doesnt that make the campaign seem worthwhile as it is bringing it up prominently in modern day culture? thats what its about.

PLEASE get a grip. donating to charity is NOT about glorifying yourself, its about helping people that are better off than you. if others have said they have donated to a charity that you support you should be happy about that and not doubting them.

Precisely

AgnesIO
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM

PLEASE get a grip. donating to charity is NOT about glorifying yourself, its about helping people that are worse off than you. if others have said they have donated to a charity that you support you should be happy about that and not sit there on your high horse doubting them.

I don't like horses.

I support the charity, but I don't support people who contradict what they say.

Judas
04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
I don't like horses.

I support the charity, but I don't support people who contradict what they say.

OHHHH YOU GOT ME GOOD!

and whos contradicting what they say?

Arron
04-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I shall not participate in this debate/argument, all I will say is I'm happy with my choice of picture and i'll leave on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2gPZRsz0Q

Judas
04-12-2010, 10:10 PM
I shall not participate in this debate/argument, all I will say is I'm happy with my choice of picture and i'll leave on this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB2gPZRsz0Q

omg, love you.

Judas
04-12-2010, 10:59 PM
OHHHH YOU GOT ME GOOD!

and whos contradicting what they say?

pure lol at the -rep i got from this

Edited by Nicola (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post off topic

Rixion
05-12-2010, 03:19 AM
Yeah I've done it, it's a bit of fun - and it will raise awareness due to the massive amounts of people doing it!

I'm Scooby-Dum :D

Sharon
05-12-2010, 07:13 PM
'IMPORTANT: the whole changing your profile picture to your favourite cartoon chatacter thing was actually created by a group of pedophiles, because if children see pictures of cartoons they will add them, it was currently on the programme Internet frauds and will apparently be on tv some time tonight, put this as your status to warn people and change your profile pictures back!!!!''

thats going around on facebook now, boy this just gets better

Judas
05-12-2010, 07:27 PM
well thats just silly

Conservative,
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
What kind of dumb kid would fall for that? No kid with any sense would add a random stranger? Especially if they had a DP of a cartoon because then they can't see who it is..

Nemo
05-12-2010, 07:35 PM
so far everyone thats put that pedo thing as their status is a complete and utter idiot, therefore im standing by my initial judgement of complete ********.

Circadia
05-12-2010, 08:05 PM
LOL theres currently 137 guests and 2 members viewing this thread .....

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly, thanks.

JerseySafety
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Yes, I saw this. All my friends are doing this so I suppose I should when I get around to it.

Zak
06-12-2010, 12:22 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336035/Facebook-cartoon-character-campaign-NSPCC-charity-says.html

‘Although the NSPCC did not originate the childhood cartoon Facebook campaign, we welcome the attention it has brought to the work we do.’

:)

Calvin
06-12-2010, 04:27 PM
What kind of dumb kid would fall for that? No kid with any sense would add a random stranger? Especially if they had a DP of a cartoon because then they can't see who it is..What kind of dumb kid would get lured in by a paedophile? Any these days.

GommeInc
06-12-2010, 05:26 PM
It's a dumb unofficial campaign. If you want to show your care and concerns, donate money. Changing a profile picture doesn't stop a child from being abused. By all means change your profile picture to that of a cartoon you watched when you were a child, but it does nothing. It raises awareness, but don't leave it there - donate. I am fairly certain loads of people doing this haven't actually donated or put themselves in to volunteering :/ Heck, they could of done a "dress up as a cartoon" day and made an event out of it, but so far it's just changing a profile picture, which is about as useful as the Facebook status chainmail updates which tell you to change your status if you know someone who has died of cancer.

AgnesIO
06-12-2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336035/Facebook-cartoon-character-campaign-NSPCC-charity-says.html

:)

Yes, because I personally expected them to say 'SOME DUMB IDIOT MADE AN UNOFFICIAL CAMPAIGN, YOU HAVE NOT ACTUALLY SAVED ONE CHILDS LIFE'.

What did you expect them to say? :P

GommeInc
06-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, because I personally expected them to say 'SOME DUMB IDIOT MADE AN UNOFFICIAL CAMPAIGN, YOU HAVE NOT ACTUALLY SAVED ONE CHILDS LIFE'.

What did you expect them to say? :P
Oh God, the DailyFail seriously is suggesting (or going along with) the idea of paedophiles being behind it?

beth
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
have only read the first page, but this post kinda unnerved me:

Not really seeing the point. Lazy activism and I doubt it's benefitting the charity in any way.

that's a terrible attitude to take, the target audience of facebook (teens etc) hardly have money to give to charities willy nilly, and the fact they've posted the status and changed their picture DOES create awareness. look, it's everywhere. even if it only inspires one person to give money to nspcc who wouldn't have before, it's made a difference.

alot of people are against this because they see it as bandwagon, and they wanna be the original and not part of the hype: get over yrselves.

AgnesIO
06-12-2010, 06:07 PM

that's a terrible attitude to take, the target audience of facebook (teens etc) hardly have money to give to charities willy nilly, and the fact they've posted the status and changed their picture DOES create awareness. look, it's everywhere. even if it only inspires one person to give money to nspcc who wouldn't have before, it's made a difference.

alot of people are against this because they see it as bandwagon, and they wanna be the original and not part of the hype: get over yrselves.

People don't join it to help the NSPCC lol

People were joining it before some idiotic British person made it in to an NSPCC thing - it was originally for 'National Cartoon Day' - people like to be cool and 'in'. Jamesy's attitude was not at all terrible, he speaks the truth.

Of course it is your opinion, and that is mine - so I guess I will leave it at that.

GommeInc
06-12-2010, 06:09 PM

He has a valid point, it is lazy activism and teens do have money and any little donation is worthwhile. Changing your profile picture may cause awareness, but it shouldn't stop there. Heck, they don't need to be the ones to donate, they could go one step further with the campaign and express it at college or school and have a donation/charity event to raise money to go towards it. At the moment it just seems to stop with "Changing your profile, you're done" which isn't useful. Awareness is one step, but you're no where near the top of the stairs.

beth
06-12-2010, 06:21 PM
i didn't say that awareness is a solution, i said it's helping SOMETHING. it gets the cause out of there, and who cares if it wasn't official? NSPCC have got some publicity out of it, and surely that's good.

it's silly to say "na, won't change the world, why should i even bother".

wiktoria
06-12-2010, 07:06 PM
I'm doing it...whether or not it does anything I don't care it's just the fact you're showing respect to the NSPCC for doing it. It may not even be official but still it's showing you care.

Just because you don't do it doesn't mean you don't care :S

Hushie
06-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Just because you don't do it doesn't mean you don't care :S
Yeah but, he didn't say that.

Suspective
06-12-2010, 07:55 PM
What is all this going around about it being run by peadophiles?

Why would a perv start a big cartoon avatar thing. What have they got to gain from it?

I am really confused.

AgnesIO
06-12-2010, 08:04 PM
What is all this going around about it being run by peadophiles?

Why would a perv start a big cartoon avatar thing. What have they got to gain from it?

I am really confused.

That it is likely kids would change their avs to cartoons, so the paedo would know if you are a kid or not.

Supposed to be that - doesn't make sense though :P

GommeInc
08-12-2010, 03:53 PM
That it is likely kids would change their avs to cartoons, so the paedo would know if you are a kid or not.

Supposed to be that - doesn't make sense though :P
Actually, it was one step further. The type of cartoon you chose might determine your age. So someone who is over the legal age of sex might choose something like Dexter's Lab, while someone who is underage may choose Ben 10 or Spongebob :P

A good but hilarious theory though, that pedophiles would be behind it, but they so weren't.

iBlueBox
08-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Actually, it was one step further. The type of cartoon you chose might determine your age. So someone who is over the legal age of sex might choose something like Dexter's Lab, while someone who is underage may choose Ben 10 or Spongebob :P

A good but hilarious theory though, that pedophiles would be behind it, but they so weren't.

I changed mine to Ben 10 ''/

matt$
08-12-2010, 04:38 PM
someone told me it was cause that way they could pretend there someone using a cartoon so they can add others

lTraditional
08-12-2010, 05:18 PM
It was published on the NSPCC facebook page which is official so it should have a purpose.

Rapidshare
08-12-2010, 07:06 PM
It was published on the NSPCC facebook page which is official so it should have a purpose.

No it was not.

I found this quite funny to be honest atleast it gave me memories but just a waste of space.

It did help out the NSPPC or w.e as they had a sudden rise of internet traffic to their site.

Jordy
08-12-2010, 07:17 PM
This is one of those rare situations where I was wrong tbh I will concede:
http://www.facebook.com/nspcc/posts/165234200184488

Seems quite a success :)

GommeInc
08-12-2010, 07:34 PM
This is one of those rare situations where I was wrong tbh I will concede:
http://www.facebook.com/nspcc/posts/165234200184488

Seems quite a success :)
That was bound to happen, it's just a shame it didn't go further and all who participated donated, as well as other events arise because of the campaign like you get with similar campaigns (Poppies, Ribbons etc). It's good that they got a surge of donations, but many clearly did it for the wrong reasons assuming that changing their DP magically means a child won't be abused.

Rapidshare
08-12-2010, 09:18 PM
http://www.stuckon.co.uk/facebook-cartoon-campaign-for-nspcc-goes-viral-3403.html

They only happy with the results, so it wasnt ******* 'official'. Not like it saids on facebook anyways.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!