PDA

View Full Version : Android Gingerbread & Nexus S

xxMATTGxx
06-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Google Nexus S is coming to the USA on December 16th and UK on the 20th

http://www.google.com/nexus/images/gallery/big-6.jpg

4-inch WVGA display, triband HSPA with AWS support (no HSPA+, seemingly), 5 megapixel camera, NFC, 16GB of onboard storage, 512MB of RAM, available on T-Mobile. It's also got a gyroscope -- as do the existing Galaxy S phones -- along with something being called the "contour display" (which matches up with rumors we've heard), integrated VoIP support, and Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Interestingly, the phone's quoted as having nothing more than a 1GHz Cortex A8-based Hummingbird processor,

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/googles-nexus-s-product-page-goes-live/

Official Site: http://www.google.com/nexus/#!/index

Looks quite nice to be honest and the specs are good also!

Nexus One Owners, Android 2.3 aka Gingerbread is now rolling out for you guys.

Android 2.3 SDK Revealed

You can read all about it here with some videos, screenshots and what not:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/06/android-2-3-sdk-revealed-gingerbread-improvements-called-out/

http://developer.android.com/sdk/images/2.3/home-plain.png

No more white bar for Android, woot! I never liked the stock theme on Android due to the white bar at the top and was so used to it being black thanks to HTC Sense. Gingerbread brings a new UI which looks pretty nice.

Joe!
06-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Must admit, it does look very nice. Tempted. Very tempted.
iPhone will hold it's value a lot more though :/

HotelUser
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
That interface is disgusting in my opinion. I'm quite fond of MIUI:

http://androidboss.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/3fe1931891i-home.png.png

In retrospect the only thing that really temps me into upgrading is the bigger real estate on the screen. But if it's only WVGA I don't care about that!

Chippiewill
06-12-2010, 08:39 PM
This equals my replacement for my old Hero in 5 months.

Edit: Although that Ghz processor is a little low, Nexus one had the same :/

Edit2:

No more white bar for Android, woot! I never liked the stock theme on Android due to the white bar at the top and was so used to it being black thanks to HTC Sense.
Same, HTC Sense should have become the standard for all android phones, it's so beautiful :)

HotelUser
06-12-2010, 08:42 PM
This equals my replacement for my old Hero in 5 months.

Edit: Although that Ghz processor is a little low, Nexus one had the same :/

If I were you I'd hold onto your more than capable hero until something with a resolution bump, or processor bump, is released.

xxMATTGxx
06-12-2010, 08:43 PM
@David, surely you would say it's better then the default theme on most non-HTC Android phones? :P

Oh and:

Samsung are planning mass-production of Orion SoC 1H in 2011.

matt$
06-12-2010, 08:46 PM
Would anyone reccomend the HTC Gratia/Aria in US? cause it looks pretty sleek i wont be using it for loads of things at once so it wouldnt have to be that powerful anyway, anyone got any info on it?

jackass
06-12-2010, 10:06 PM
I love the current UI/GUI for HTC Android 2.2 phones. Grr!

StefanWolves
08-12-2010, 11:18 AM
It will flop like the first Nexus. *waits for HTC fan boys criticism*

xxMATTGxx
08-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Don't even start that argument again, it just ruins the threads. :rolleyes:

GommeInc
08-12-2010, 08:06 PM
What arguments? *gets fuel and coal ready for the argument*

I'm waiting to see how far the Xperia x10 goes before it becomes impossible to update. I have a feeling 2.2 or 2.3 is the last update it will have, as it just got updated to 2.1 and multi-touch as we know it will never properly exist for it - something to do with it not understanding the x/y axis.

StefanWolves
08-12-2010, 10:50 PM

Many people have ruined Apple based threads with that argument, I know.

xxMATTGxx
08-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Many people have ruined Apple based threads with that argument, I know.

Just to let you know, this one is made by Samsung so it wouldn't be HTC fanboys sticking up for it. If we decided we like the device.

StefanWolves
08-12-2010, 11:16 PM
Just to let you know, this one is made by Samsung so it wouldn't be HTC fanboys sticking up for it. If we decided we like the device.
Android fan boys, you mean

xxMATTGxx
08-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Well you did call us HTC fan boys and never mentioned Android, so I was just using your term for us? :P

HotelUser
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM

I am an iPad owner, an Nexus One Android owner, and a former Blackberry and Windows Mobile user.

I will post telling you how much I love Android more than any other user on this forum.

I have no bias.

StefanWolves
08-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Yea, I know your not bias, but some people just can't stand Apple and iOS for no apparent reason.

I am an iPad owner, an Nexus One Android owner, and a former Blackberry and Windows Mobile user.

I will post telling you how much I love Android more than any other user on this forum.

I have no bias.

Recursion
09-12-2010, 07:43 AM
Going majorly off topic now... ;)

Jamesy
09-12-2010, 08:43 AM
That refined UI looks absolutely gorgeous, changing the white bar makes it seem a lot more professional some how.

StefanWolves
09-12-2010, 12:26 PM
Agree, wish iOS would get rid of the White bar too.

GommeInc
09-12-2010, 04:34 PM

I have no bias.
For some reason your post reminded me, but Creative are making/have made a 10" Android tablet running 2.1 if I remember correctly. Not sure if it'll be any good though :P

Back on topic. I could of sworn the next Android OS would allow for greater customisations with the UI, or did I misinterpret UI changes? I always thought you could change the colour of the Notifications Bar and the bit at the bottom to whatever colour you wanted without having to find a theme pack. That would be useful for an Android update at least, if it isn't in the next one :/

HotelUser
10-12-2010, 12:35 PM
For some reason your post reminded me, but Creative are making/have made a 10" Android tablet running 2.1 if I remember correctly. Not sure if it'll be any good though :P

Back on topic. I could of sworn the next Android OS would allow for greater customisations with the UI, or did I misinterpret UI changes? I always thought you could change the colour of the Notifications Bar and the bit at the bottom to whatever colour you wanted without having to find a theme pack. That would be useful for an Android update at least, if it isn't in the next one :/

Applying theme packs on Android, though, is as easy as installing metamorph on the market. However I agree with you that more customization as such would be lovely. Compared to iOS at present, though, Android is already ten steps ahead in UI customization.

StefanWolves
11-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Applying theme packs on Android, though, is as easy as installing metamorph on the market. However I agree with you that more customization as such would be lovely. Compared to iOS at present, though, Android is already ten steps ahead in UI customization.
Not at all. Jailbreak it and you can theme it however the hell you want. But I agree, users shouldnt have to jailbreak to set themes etc.

AgnesIO
11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Not at all. Jailbreak it and you can theme it however the hell you want. But I agree, users shouldnt have to jailbreak to set themes etc.

Android is a FAR better OS when it comes to customising it. Sorry but that is true.

--

I love the HTC Sense UI far too much to go to this at the moment :P Hopefully a custom rom is made so I can try it though :P

jackass
11-12-2010, 01:50 PM

Haha. Android far exceeds iOS when it comes to customisation.

Chippiewill
11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
If I were you I'd hold onto your more than capable hero until something with a resolution bump, or processor bump, is released.

Sure, my 'more than capable' Android 1.5 Hero which I can't get to go up to 2.x because T-Mobile screwed up....

Haha. Android far exceeds iOS when it comes to customisation.
Yeah, like widgets.

xxMATTGxx
11-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Sure, my 'more than capable' Android 1.5 Hero which I can't get to go up to 2.x because T-Mobile screwed up....

Yeah, like widgets.

Then root your phone and get a 2.x Rom and flash it. Then you will have Android 2.x!

Recursion
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM

T-Mobile aren't responsible for HTC not compiling newer versions of Android for their device (well, they are for 2.1, but HTC haven't updated it to 2.2 yet)

Go moan at HTC.

Either way, I think it's fair they don't want to support an 18 month old phone.

xxMATTGxx
11-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Looks like a new Android Market Update will be with us very shortly.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mm75bF7VYrE/TQLxLUdy7eI/AAAAAAAAABE/W8--XzVoOzg/s400/market-home%2B%25282%2529.png http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Mm75bF7VYrE/TQLxX9U8CFI/AAAAAAAAABM/i-y0vqtUz3w/s400/market-details%2B%25281%2529.png

A new user interface including a carousel view at the top of the screen
2 new categories, one for widgets, and one for live wallpapers, given their popularity.
A "related apps" feature to suggest other apps you might like to try
Single-tab view of an app's information, so no more switching between tabs to read about an app before downloading
A new content rating system (I believe this will cover age ratings, as well as user star ratings)
A reduction in the refund window from 24 hours to 15 minutes (apparently most refunds by users occur within the first 15 minutes of installing an app)
Apps can be filtered by screen size and density, to help target the right version of an app to devices.
Apps can be targeted to OpenGL texturing abilities, to prevent games that won't work on older devices from showing on them
Apps can now be upto 50 MB, rather than 25 MB

Recursion
11-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Looks like a new Android Market Update will be with us very shortly.
-snip snip-

A new user interface including a carousel view at the top of the screen
2 new categories, one for widgets, and one for live wallpapers, given their popularity.
A "related apps" feature to suggest other apps you might like to try
Single-tab view of an app's information, so no more switching between tabs to read about an app before downloading
A new content rating system (I believe this will cover age ratings, as well as user star ratings)
A reduction in the refund window from 24 hours to 15 minutes (apparently most refunds by users occur within the first 15 minutes of installing an app)
Apps can be filtered by screen size and density, to help target the right version of an app to devices.
Apps can be targeted to OpenGL texturing abilities, to prevent games that won't work on older devices from showing on them
Apps can now be upto 50 MB, rather than 25 MB

OH DEAR JESUS I WANT THAT MARKET NOW.

Casanova
14-12-2010, 12:14 AM

it flopped because of the sheer lack of production. it got absolutely no advertising in the UK, which doesn't help either.
And gingerbread does look lovely. what irritates me about samsung is they made absolutely amazing phones but encase it in the cheapest tack around. the galaxy S feels like it's wrapped in a plastic bottle.

Dean
14-12-2010, 01:16 AM
This phone looks sick although the price tag is not! Near enough £600 for sim-free or contract on VODAFONE! No way.

If it was offered on more networks then I might've considered it as an upgrade in March.

HotelUser
14-12-2010, 01:27 AM
it flopped because of the sheer lack of production. it got absolutely no advertising in the UK, which doesn't help either.
And gingerbread does look lovely. what irritates me about samsung is they made absolutely amazing phones but encase it in the cheapest tack around. the galaxy S feels like it's wrapped in a plastic bottle.

Is the N1 not popular there?

They don't, and never sold it in Canada. I ordered mine from the USA. It is by far the best Android device I have ever owned.

xxMATTGxx
14-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Is the N1 not popular there?

They don't, and never sold it in Canada. I ordered mine from the USA. It is by far the best Android device I have ever owned.

I don't believe it was sold by the phone networks which is one of the main ways we get our phones from.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!