PDA

View Full Version : Seeing how many people have -rep'ed a post.

nat965
07-12-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm not going to push for this idea, it's just an idea which I wanted to throw out there, as a suggestion, and get it off my chest.

we have a box which shows how many people have +rep'ed a certain post. Well, why not make one for -rep's? even though I guess they aren't given out that much.

Thoughts?

Unarmoured
07-12-2010, 01:57 AM
No, 'cause it'll influence people to -rep it aswell.

Personally, I don't think there should be -rep.

Eoin247
07-12-2010, 02:01 AM
No, 'cause it'll influence people to -rep it aswell.

Personally, I don't think there should be -rep.

If there was no -rep we would have a lot more trolls around the forum.

beth
07-12-2010, 02:49 AM
in principal i like the idea, but i do think it'll be exploited, and particular users could be targetted by groups who decided to bandwagon and -rep a post.

FlyingJesus
07-12-2010, 03:01 AM
It's a good idea I think, I know for certain there have been posts that perhaps 1 or 2 people have agreed with and +repped and even though there have been several members -repping that same post it ends up looking like a popular statement/opinion which is entirely misleading

Samantha
07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
I feel that this should be put into place, I don't have the same views as some on the forum so if I saw a post that had been -repped a bit I wouldn't follow the herd. I don't think it would be exploited. Also, I like -rep, I don't think it should be removed. To me -rep is there for one I genuinely need it not for the sake of it. I -rep when an unneeded comment is made which is either targetting other members or something along the lines. No -rep will get many people posting rude, abrupt comments for the sake of it.
Also, I'm just going off about other rep ideas.
A rep edit time, when you give +rep or -rep you could have say 15 minutes to edit it, this would allow you to change the rep status if you feel you have given the wrong rep or left a comment that could be improved.

nat965
07-12-2010, 08:25 AM
A rep edit time, when you give +rep or -rep you could have say 15 minutes to edit it, this would allow you to change the rep status if you feel you have given the wrong rep or left a comment that could be improved.
I'm not sure if it's possible, I've certainly not seen many forums do it. Though, I guess I haven't been a Vb Forum Admin to actually see if it is possible. I like the idea though. :)

Hecktix
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
However, we don't like to promote negativity and I feel that in adding such a feature would be doing this.

wiktoria
07-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think it's a good idea because if a post gets a lot of -rep other people will -rep too just because it has a lot of -rep already.

FlyingJesus
07-12-2010, 01:45 PM
However, we don't like to promote negativity and I feel that in adding such a feature would be doing this.

Surely it promotes a bigger negative image when offensive and/or highly misinformed posts appear to newcomers as something the general membership agrees with

Hecktix
07-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Surely it promotes a bigger negative image when offensive and/or highly misinformed posts appear to newcomers as something the general membership agrees with

If that was the only use for the negative rep system I would agree with you and back this idea, however I feel that -reps should be between the poster and the person who -reps them.

T@R
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
If there was no -rep we would have a lot more trolls around the forum.
I don't think he was saying get rid of -rep, he was saying not to show how much negative rep a post has received because a lot of people might just go along with it and just -rep for the heck of it.
I don't think there should be either to be honest,

Sharon
07-12-2010, 06:42 PM
yeah i love this idea tbh it's like sometimes i see a post and i'm like ''i bet that got a lot of -rep lmao'' i'd honestly like to see if it has or not? and if theres like a debate or something you can see what views are supported and what isn't

nat965
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
yeah i love this idea tbh it's like sometimes i see a post and i'm like ''i bet that got a lot of -rep lmao'' i'd honestly like to see if it has or not? and if theres like a debate or something you can see what views are supported and what isn't
The point about debates is valid (In my opinion). I agree with what you have said :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!