PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming? Government Conspiracy or Scientific Fact?

-Danube-
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
http://toonrefugee.com/toonblog/wp-content/uploads/global-warming-santa.jpg
(Wanted to add the festive touch to Debates!)

I'm looking out of my window as i write this and what do i see? Snow! and it's only the start of December! Global Warming my *@&^. Okay okay it is a 'proven fact' that the effects of global warming can cause cooling in some parts of the world, but for the past few years now i have been lead more towards thinking global warming is fiction.

My thought is that it's a government conspiracy to make us invest in green and alternative fuel, due to the fact that our oil supplies are depleting, and the only way they can do that is to scare us. Recently hundreds of private emails were stolen from Climate scientists which provides evidence that they have been told to manipulate data that suggests a drop in global temperature. Also the greenhouse gas CO2 is actually too heavy a molecule to reach such heights to cause such affects to our atmosphere, it's actually H2O molecules which are the biggest greenhouse gas on Earth.

On the other hand it's not hard to actually believe in Global Warming, if you look at studies of the ice caps you can clearly see they are shrinking and getting thinner. More violent storms and natural disasters have started to surface in the past few years which reinforces the fact that Global Warming is happening. There's also graphs of links between CO2 levels and temperature in the environment which look pretty convincing, but again these could be manipulated.

Do you think Global Warming is happening now and is due to human consequence, or do you think that it's a conspiracy brought forward by the government and intensified by the media.

DEBATE

GommeInc
09-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Global Warming doesn't exist anymore, Climate Change is the actual theory now, because Global Warming was considered highly inaccurate and tossed aside a few years ago. Climate Change incorporates parts of the Global Warming theory, but also leads itself open for interpretation e.g. instead of just heat, it incorporates severe and/or random weather conditions, including severe coldness followed by random warmness.

Just to correct you on that :P

I think Climate Change is a scientific fact that's been over-exaggerated. It's completely normal for the World to suddenly become warmer after an ice age, it's common sense and logical, seeing as the opposite of cold is warmth so things would be noticeably warmer. The Government Conspiracy is bolted to the side of the scientific theory, which suggests man is entirely to blame and that we must reduce our carbon emissions to save our sorry little selves. However, in saying that Governments are slowly turning themselves away from man being to blame and have started to notice other factors, that carbon (CO2 etc.) may not necessarily be coming from man made sources, but natural sources like animals, volcanoes and so forth, with animals possibly having something to do with man and farming.

People with any common sense would notice that it's perfecty okay to be focusing on renewable sources, afterall fossil fuels won't last forever and have so many negative impacts, while being "cleaner" has its benefits though it does have its costs as they are "man-made structures to harness the power of natural sources e.g. water, wind and light" - before global warming (or more accurately, Climate Change) reared its ugly head, parts of the world were under smog, suffering acid erosion due to sulphur and other chemicals entering the air after an industrial era, and because of the health issues, the world slowly directed itself towards a cleaner future, and the Climate Change theories followed soon after as with any other social changes. We were bound to change the way to source our power, food and other contributions, it was the theories that made them more worrying, even though after the past few years these scare tactics have died down as the facts slowly started eroding away when scientists discovered that some of the claims were based on loose foundations.

So in short, yes I think Climate Changes has its facts but it does have its Government and extremist theories. The World will suffer severe weather conditions, and always has, as its more than likely a natural change the world goes through - with people forgetting that the Ice Age was a natural occurence in the World's history.

Conservative,
09-12-2010, 04:37 PM
"Global Warming" is a lie.

Climate change is not. Global warming is a load of nonesense made up by scientists & governments. Who knows why..but there is no evidence to suggest it is real .

Climate change MUST happen for the earth to be stable. We learnt this in chemistry. If climate change did not happen then we would be living in a world permanently at -15 degrees c. And the early atmosphere would still be around (helium, carbon & hydrogen I think). So yes, climate change exists, but it hasn't got anything to do with the storms ect. That's just random, always will be. There's actually been a drop in severe storms over the last few decades...

So, to answer your question. Global warming is a lie, I do not believe it for one second. However climate change is real, but it is not us causing it and it is not what's causing any erratic weather.

kuzkasate
09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Global warming is a total lie. I saw a very good programme about this and there were top scientists from all over the world, USA, UK, Russia, China and they all explained why its a load of crap. They also showed a graph of global warming affects in different years. Yet in a year like 1942 when WW2 was going on, you would surely expect global warming to increase, but no.. it was at its smallest point.

-:Undertaker:-
09-12-2010, 10:02 PM
On the other hand it's not hard to actually believe in Global Warming, if you look at studies of the ice caps you can clearly see they are shrinking and getting thinner.

Well thats actually wrong, some ice caps have been melting whilst others have been growing along with polar bear numbers actually flourishing - it all depends on what pictures you watch, if you look on the likes of the BBC and the mainstream media they will show melting ice of which the videos are usually taken in the summer when ice nautrally melts and has always melted and will continue to melt long after we humans are gone. Then when winter comes, it grows again.

More violent storms and natural disasters have started to surface in the past few years which reinforces the fact that Global Warming is happening.

There's also graphs of links between CO2 levels and temperature in the environment which look pretty convincing, but again these could be manipulated.

Graphs which have been proven wrong (ie the Al Gore hockey stick graph) and by looking at historical C02 levels you can see there is no link between C02 levels and the temperature of the Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuovqFwUtDc

Temperatures have been decreasing now (cooling) for the past 15 years, of course if you look at the likes of the Al Gore graph you would be lead to believe that we are all going to boil to death within a matter of years. An interesting fact some of you may be interested to learn though is that Al Gore bought a house on the coastline - despite the fact Gore often says how sea levels are going to rise (and then we could go on about him leaving his mansion lights on along with flying around the world telling other people not to fly). It is all quite frankly, one great big scam.

I couldn't sum it up better than this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOygATEabIk

jake4568
05-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Al Gore said it, it must be true!

karter
05-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Okay First of all Global Warming does exist , but we can't see its effect much.
On the other hand , another kind of Climate Change occurs too (that's why there are irregular rain pattern , colder winters , hotter summers)

I want to ask all of you , what makes you think that Global Warming doesn't exist , If someone quotes me I will be happy to reply and explain.

-:Undertaker:-
05-01-2011, 04:28 PM
On the other hand , another kind of Climate Change occurs too (that's why there are irregular rain pattern , colder winters , hotter summers)

I want to ask all of you , what makes you think that Global Warming doesn't exist , If someone quotes me I will be happy to reply and explain.

Well I dispute man-made global warming on factual grounds because global temperatures have been in decline [cooling] for over the past decade.

GommeInc
05-01-2011, 07:23 PM

Global Warming doesn't exist, it got re-classified ages ago to Climate Change because the severe weather patterns reflected both cold and hot, not explicitly hot weather conditions. Climate Change does, but there are more reasons for it being natural than man made, and in some areas the effects aren't that bad or nothing to cry over.

Wig44.
06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Global Warming doesn't exist, it got re-classified ages ago to Climate Change because the severe weather patterns reflected both cold and hot, not explicitly hot weather conditions. Climate Change does, but there are more reasons for it being natural than man made, and in some areas the effects aren't that bad or nothing to cry over.

The title of this thread SHOULD be:

Do you believe that Climate Change is caused or affected by man?

To which the answer is no. I've posted on this before and not one person was able to reply. CO2 plays no role in climate change. /thread

Oleh
07-01-2011, 12:05 AM
its a scientific fact emphasized by the government to disturb the daily goings on and cause panic and reason to increase tax on petrol and introduce new ways of cutting down on energy usage (cuz were running out) by lowering things such as heat of washing machine for example.

Climate change has and will happen, How do you think we went in and out of an ice age? why do you think there is still parts of the ice still left over? CLIMATE CHANGE ISNT OVERNIGHT! And for those saying once these ice sheets melt we'll flood... Take a simple square cubic meter of ice and place it in a meter and a half square cubic meter of water and place the ice in it.. What happens? the water rises... as ice is.. yes you guessed it.. A SOLID which means its at a higher density than water.. same example with a bath. You get into a full bath what happens? the water rises significantly..

Moh
07-01-2011, 02:09 AM
I don't believe in Global Warming. If you look at the Earths history, the climate is actually colder than it used to be. Look at Antarctica, they believe that there was once a rainforest. Late last year they found ancient turtle bones in Antarctica.. so I don't think it was always as cold as it is now? The ice sheets/caps haven't always existed either. We're currently either still coming out of an Ice age or we're currently in the interglacial period.. both which means the Earth warms up. The Earth has been a lot warmer than it is now, it's just a cycle of the Earth.

It's happened in the past.

Nationalism
08-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Global warming is a conspiracy to embed fear into the general population and generate profits to line the pockets of officials and governments.
Climate change is real, global warming is not - there is a significant difference.

Fiendly
08-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Global Warming is real.. But the chances are of it being dangerous are actually null.
I'm pretty sure Al Gore chose to make the general public aware of that it's there, but so they can try and promote more alternatives.. Like greener energy.

Some links against it:
http://blog.mises.org/6700/global-warming-is-not-a-threat-but-the-environmentalist-response-to-it-is-full-version/
http://globalwarming.solveyourproblem.com/myths-facts-global-warming.shtml

I actually had a 20+ page print out (From a website) providing substantial evidence in disproving global warming.. Can't find it now.

Look up for global warming and against it then decide on an opinion.

Another interesting read and a quote:
http://www.interlakespectator.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2918102

"Expect global cooling for the next two to three decades that will be far more damaging than global warming would have been," says Don Easterbrook, Professor Emeritus, Dept. of Geology, Western Washington University. Easterbrook points out that 30-year cooling trends in the past including 1945-1977, 1880-1915 and 1790-1820 are similar to trends that the earth could face in the next 30 years.

That's all from me, may post again on this topic. May not.

The Don
30-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Global Warming is real.. But the chances are of it being dangerous are actually null.
I'm pretty sure Al Gore chose to make the general public aware of that it's there, but so they can try and promote more alternatives.. Like greener energy.

Some links against it:
http://blog.mises.org/6700/global-warming-is-not-a-threat-but-the-environmentalist-response-to-it-is-full-version/
http://globalwarming.solveyourproblem.com/myths-facts-global-warming.shtml

I actually had a 20+ page print out (From a website) providing substantial evidence in disproving global warming.. Can't find it now.

Look up for global warming and against it then decide on an opinion.

Another interesting read and a quote:
http://www.interlakespectator.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2918102

That's all from me, may post again on this topic. May not.

You haven't actually given you'r view on the topic. Your actual opening statement is incorrect as global warming isn't real, infact, the earths been cooling for the past decade and the only impact man could of had on the earth climate change has been the last 20 years, and for 15 of those years it has seen a decrease in temperature.

Climate change, however, is real, but it's not impacted by man, ice caps have been melting and growing for years, those horrible pictures you see of polar bears on melting ice are taken in the summer, when they Naturally melt.

Banana Pancakes
31-01-2011, 11:46 AM
You haven't actually given you'r view on the topic. Your actual opening statement is incorrect as global warming isn't real, infact, the earths been cooling for the past decade and the only impact man could of had on the earth climate change has been the last 20 years, and for 15 of those years it has seen a decrease in temperature.

Climate change, however, is real, but it's not impacted by man, ice caps have been melting and growing for years, those horrible pictures you see of polar bears on melting ice are taken in the summer, when they Naturally melt.

Man does have an impact on climate change. While Climate change is natural it is being rapidly increased by human interaction.

Oleh
01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Ice is at a higher density than water therefore when it melts the levels will decrease. Climate change is a natural occurence (ice age, stone age, dark age) all from what i have no doubt are natural occurences, not some arrogant species thinking their few decades can destroy the earth

The Don
02-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Man does have an impact on climate change. While Climate change is natural it is being rapidly increased by human interaction.

If man did impact it, the climate would have increased in tempreature, yet it's actually been decreasing over the past decade. Man doesn't have an impact on it

JackBuddy
06-02-2011, 02:10 AM
I've had quite a few lectures on climate change as a natural and human induced process. The earth's climate has fluctuated in and out of ice ages many times and at present, the average global temp is actually 1 degree cooler than it was during the time of William the Conqueror. It is hyped up beyond belief but we should be changing our environmental attitudes anyway. The earth cannot sustain and support the increasing population of people and non-renewable energy resources will not last forever.

In my eyes, there is no doubt that humans are responsible. Although, there has been a gradual rise in CO2 for the past few thousand years.

Btw, part of the reason it isn't referred to as global warming anymore is partly due to the fact that one potential concequence of melting ice caps = more freshwater entering the oceans = decreased salinity of the water = different density = a potential change in the thermohaline conveyor (which brings warm air to the British isles, and prevents us from experiencing cold like other places on the same latitude as us).

@above temperature is always going to fluctuate year on year regardless of climate change. The climate can also take decades to respond to changes within the atmosphere.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!