PDA

View Full Version : [+REP] Windows Phone 7

Con
13-12-2010, 08:54 PM
I can upgrade my Samsung S8000 Jet (Orange Dolphin 35) on the 16th so I'm looking for a nice phone to upgrade to.
I want one which has a decent camera, decent UI and has a good way for accessing the internet, and if possible the ability to download apps / bookmarks for things like Facebook?

So I was thinking, is the Windows Phone 7 a good OS for a phone?
Also, which is better:

The HTC 7 Mozart:
http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/htc-7-mozart

OR

The Samsung Omnia 7
http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/samsung-omnia-7

Also, if theres any other phones you would recommend me looking at, then that'd be appreciated :)
+REP to any good help :)

Suspective
13-12-2010, 09:16 PM
They both look like pretty good phones.

I'd go for the Samsung one though. It depends on what your using it for, the HTC camera is pretty good.

Shar
13-12-2010, 09:17 PM
HTC by far imo

Con
13-12-2010, 09:18 PM
@Shar - any reasons why though?

Recursion
14-12-2010, 12:04 AM
HTC Mozart since it has better specs than the Omnia.

Casanova
14-12-2010, 12:09 AM
HTC Mozart. it has a better user interface.
Before I get flamed, keep in mind all brands put their own 'interface' on top of the operating system. I've played with the Mozart for a few hours and it's pretty nice. I like the idea of your homepage tiles, which you can update, change and move around to customise your homescreen to what you need/want most.

You've got the benefit of htc's amazing build. They always use great materials. If i remember rightly the mozart is coated in teflon. nice touch. the screen is self is 'anti finger print'.

Also, if you use the xbox... just get the mozart! never played an xbox in my life and i got hooked playing games on the mozart!

I don't rate the omnia. only played with one for a few minutes. just doesn't feel 'right'. it's not aesthetically pleasing either.

Con
14-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Okay thank you :) I think I'll probably go to the shop and have a play around with them before buying one if like you say the aesthetics affected you a lot :)
Thanks guys

Casanova
14-12-2010, 12:21 AM
the way i see it, you're entering a long term. if you like the phone but not the 'feel' or the 'look' it pisses you off pretty quick.

I got my bold in january, i chose a GSM handset because i dislike orange branding (although the downside is, i have to rely on the retailer [which i work for] if i have any issues with my handset, not orange support :rolleyes:) and it made the bold look even more 'tackier'. I had to claim on my insurance a few months back and it's a branded handset i got in return. it just makes me annoyed now. i'm gonna rip it out and just buy a little bar to replace it.

Also, while you're in the store (best to go to an orange store. if you go to a 'retailer' instead of a network you're less likely to just be allowed to 'play' with the handset first) ask them to check over your bill. look for a breakdown of what you're using and if you're not using more than 600 minutes go for a panther plan instead of dolphin.

Dolphin 35 at the moment gets you:
700 minutes
unltd texts
500 mb
email

panther 35 get's you:
600 mins
ultd texts
750 mb
emails
unlimited orange maps
50 £free pic MMS.

Also, when you're browsing keep in mind you're an orange customer. so do, once you decide on your phone shop around. don't just buy straight away. go to carphone warehouse, phones 4u, retail shops and check online! orange customers get a banding so depending on your banding you may be able to get a better deal, such as a £35 tariff for £30?

I'm sorry if I sound patronizing, some people aren't aware<3

Con
14-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Woww, Thanks for all that information!! :P
Yeah I got my current plan from Phones4U and its Orange 35 for £25 :L not sure how but yeah. Thanks for all that information though :)
Might be worth me changing to Panther by the looks then! I never use anywhere near the minutes.

Casanova
14-12-2010, 12:33 AM
and my boss says i don't take stuff in... lmao!
shopping around is worth it.

HotelUser
14-12-2010, 12:59 AM
Before I get flamed, keep in mind all brands put their own 'interface' on top of the operating system. I've played with the Mozart for a few hours and it's pretty nice. I like the idea of your homepage tiles, which you can update, change and move around to customise your homescreen to what you need/want most.

You've got the benefit of htc's amazing build. They always use great materials. If i remember rightly the mozart is coated in teflon. nice touch. the screen is self is 'anti finger print'.

Also, if you use the xbox... just get the mozart! never played an xbox in my life and i got hooked playing games on the mozart!

I don't rate the omnia. only played with one for a few minutes. just doesn't feel 'right'. it's not aesthetically pleasing either.

Good opinions here - One of the most enjoyable tasks in my opinion for Windows Mobile/P7 and Android alike is downloading the custom or ripped UIs from other roms :)

HTC Mozart since it has better specs than the Omnia.

HTC by far imo

Agreed. I'm also inclined to think you're going to get the best support with the HTC, because HTC phones are most always popular on XDA. This could mean better support in general, or if you're into modifications better support for custom ROMS - probably even porting Android to your handset.

xxMATTGxx
14-12-2010, 07:18 AM
I thought the general UI of Windows Phone 7 devices were all the same? I'm sure there is restrictions on what they can actually change in-regards of the UI. Hence why HTC don't have a full HTC Sense experience on that operating system but I do have to say I rather go with the HTC than the Samsung.

Recursion
14-12-2010, 07:33 AM
I thought the general UI of Windows Phone 7 devices were all the same? I'm sure there is restrictions on what they can actually change in-regards of the UI. Hence why HTC don't have a full HTC Sense experience on that operating system but I do have to say I rather go with the HTC than the Samsung.

They are the same, HTC aren't allowed to install a Sense addon for WP7.

Con
14-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Also, does anyone know if you get the phone cheaper when you upgrade? I know providers such as vodafone to, but I'm unsure if Orange do?

Thanks everyone.

Shar
14-12-2010, 06:19 PM
It's usually cheaper when you upgrade

Recursion
14-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Also, does anyone know if you get the phone cheaper when you upgrade? I know providers such as vodafone to, but I'm unsure if Orange do?

Thanks everyone.

All providers should offer cheaper phones when you upgrade on an existing contract.

Jam
14-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Before I get flamed, keep in mind all brands put their own 'interface' on top of the operating system.

Apart from change the colour of the live tiles and add a network app to the home screen they don't modify Windows Phone 7.

Con
16-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Also, does anyone have much to say about the HTC Desire Z? I know it's now windows phone but is it any good? I like the idea of a keyboard + full touch?

e5
16-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Tbh, if you're looking for a good phone with a good camera, you want the Nokia N8. I believe it has a 12 MP camera, and also everything else you would need. However I do love the windows phones, but they are very costly.

HotelUser
16-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Tbh, if you're looking for a good phone with a good camera, you want the Nokia N8. I believe it has a 12 MP camera, and also everything else you would need. However I do love the windows phones, but they are very costly.

I can't say I agree with you there. The N8 runs Symbian. Android, and probably even Windows P7 is superior to Symbian :P

Recursion
16-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Agreed.

I can't say I agree with you there. The N8 runs Symbian. Android, and probably even Windows P7 is superior to Symbian :P

Total rubbish IMO. Symbian v3 (which is what the N8 runs) is very good and actually, the way you said WP7 in that post makes it seem bad? In fact it's also very good. My dad got an N8 through work the other day and actually, I kinda wish I had it instead of my Desire, a lot of things Android needs apps for are built into the OS and the camera is actually comaparable to a dedicated digital camera.

Casanova
16-12-2010, 04:16 PM
rofl the N8 runs symban ^3. it's a good user system but the phone it's self has the same 'clunky' feel that all nokias hold. really glitchy. in my opinion it's a 12 megapixel camera you can text on.

I love the desire Z, it's a lovely phone. has a great feel to it but if you're quite small/keep your phone in your pocket it's actually quite heavy?

triston220
26-12-2010, 03:46 PM
The HTC HD 7 looks rather nice. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!