PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

user130523
15-12-2010, 05:38 PM
basically need some advice on a good laptop i can get. mainly will be using it for gaming/social networking.

just looking for some rough ideas of good laptops, rep+ in return :)

AgnesIO
15-12-2010, 06:21 PM
gaming being?

Price being?

user130523
15-12-2010, 06:54 PM
gaming being?

Price being?
just gaming in general and nothing over around about the £600-700 mark

Jam
15-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Define a game you'd be playing. If your wanting to play Bloons or CS Source or GTA IV on full settings. General is too general.

user130523
15-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Define a game you'd be playing. If your wanting to play Bloons or CS Source or GTA IV on full settings. General is too general.
er sims 3? lmao

i'm not bothered about the whole gaming thing.. just want ideas of good laptops

Jabman95
15-12-2010, 08:29 PM
The Sony Vaios are amazing, i'm on a borrowed school laptop atm (broken leg, schoolwork at home etc) and it's got core 2 duo and celeron, 15inch widescreen and intel gma x3100 graphics, it's called stonecomputers who make it and it's fantastic, it runs like a beaut and it's budget I think, but yeah, a Vaio or check out new toshibas, yummy.

Hope it helps :)

Johno
15-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I have a HP Envy 14 which is £804 on a student discount. It has a 14.5" Screen, i5 460M, ATi 5650 and 4GB RAM. It's a pretty nice laptop.

You can get the Pavilion dv7 which has a 17.3" screen and all of the above specs for ~£700 on a discount.

lawrawrrr
15-12-2010, 10:22 PM
DO NOT get a dell. They fall apart and overheat like crazy. Wishing I'd never have bought it now D;

Zak
15-12-2010, 11:11 PM
I'd get a macbook or macbook pro <3

Recursion
15-12-2010, 11:17 PM
DO NOT get a dell. They fall apart and overheat like crazy. Wishing I'd never have bought it now D;

I don't know what you do with yours but in our tough school environment our Dell laptops have lasted many, many years of abuse, the biggest problem we've had are batteries dying (which is expected after a couple of years of non-stop use)

lawrawrrr
16-12-2010, 07:39 AM
I don't know what you do with yours but in our tough school environment our Dell laptops have lasted many, many years of abuse, the biggest problem we've had are batteries dying (which is expected after a couple of years of non-stop use)

I have a Dell Studio 1555, and my battery lasted 3 months before it said I had to get a new one - but I couldn't afford it, so I have to keep it plugged in all the time! I do have quite a few files on here, majorly slowing it down, but physically, my screen's started falling off (no joke), power cable's falling apart and the touchpad keys are very temperamental. My friend has almost the same problems with the Inspiron as well.

PS I do take extremely good care of my laptop

AgnesIO
16-12-2010, 08:43 AM
I have a Dell Studio 1555, and my battery lasted 3 months before it said I had to get a new one - but I couldn't afford it, so I have to keep it plugged in all the time! I do have quite a few files on here, majorly slowing it down, but physically, my screen's started falling off (no joke), power cable's falling apart and the touchpad keys are very temperamental. My friend has almost the same problems with the Inspiron as well.

PS I do take extremely good care of my laptop

You must be doing something wrong for the screen to fall off.

lawrawrrr
16-12-2010, 05:30 PM
You must be doing something wrong for the screen to fall off.

The screen hasn't fallen off as such, the covering, the black bit round the front and sides is loose. Every time I open it I hear click... click...
To be honest, I do use it constantly, at school and at home, and it gets transported a lot, but I've met a lot of people with similar prolbmes. They have a bit of a bad reputation now, I'm afraid :L

Recursion
16-12-2010, 05:53 PM
The screen hasn't fallen off as such, the covering, the black bit round the front and sides is loose. Every time I open it I hear click... click...
To be honest, I do use it constantly, at school and at home, and it gets transported a lot, but I've met a lot of people with similar prolbmes. They have a bit of a bad reputation now, I'm afraid :L

Actually Dell have a very good reputation, if you weren't aware they lead the server market and are currently 2nd (behind HP) in market share rankings for consumer usage.

Flisker
16-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd say go for the Dell XPS 15 Laptop :) It's the one I'm thinking of getting when I have saved up enough £.

user130523
26-12-2010, 05:22 PM
instead of asking for laptop, in the end i asked for cash :) got £600

going to be buying a macbook air tomorrow on ebay :)

thanks for advice/help guys x

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!