PDA

View Full Version : Atheists

buttons
17-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Will you marry (if you do) in a church and why?
Will you have your funeral (if you have one) in a church and why?

me and my friend are arguing over it, he says the majority of "true" (lol) atheists won't have either. i'm aware that christmas was celebrated before jesus (debateable if he was real obv but for arguments sake...) but i don't really get the rest if someone wants to bother explaining.

Mathew
17-12-2010, 06:16 PM
As much as I'd like to believe there's a big guy in the sky, looking out for us.. it really can't be proven and the odds are highly unlikely. Science has just demolished all religious reasonings about a God, imo. In terms of Jesus, personally I think there was a man by that name at some point in history; who was probably very nice - but I do think feeding 5,000 people from a loaf of bread is rather far-fetched indeed :P

However, as much as I don't really believe and as much as I'd like it to be true - I still think it's rather nice to get married in a church (and a funeral, for that matter). Weddings are traditionally done in churches which makes them seem all the more special - stone walls, altar, flowing white gown between the pews. I suppose, in that case, that agnostic would be a better tag for me! :P

I do think a true atheist would avoid churches and anything to do with religion at all costs, so no, they wouldn't marry or have their funeral in a church. After all, if you've spent your life never stepping foot in a religious building; it would hardly be the best place, would it?

Jordy
17-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Only people who go to Church regularly get married in Churchs anyway, so it's not like Atheists get a choice. It's quite a misconception by so many people that most people get married in Churchs.

For some reason though I do want my funeral in a Church, I can't imagine not having a funeral in a Church it seems almost natural despite being an Atheist. These so-called "humanist" funerals are just awful from what I hear.

Conservative,
17-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Well...

I'm a Christian...albeit it a Liberal Christian - a modernized Christian with modernized views that stem from the Bible's teachings rather than taking them literally.. So I'll happily have my wedding in a nice Church & funeral as well...

however, my Grandfather was an Atheist..or certainly Agnostic. He used to believe in God but I think after several life-threatening diseases and things he gave up hope. But he still wanted to have his funeral in a Church - which he did.

I agree with Mathew - most real Atheists would stay away at all costs, if they truly did not believe in any form of god, because stepping into a Church is stepping into the home of God.

Edit: 2k posts woo!

Eoin247
17-12-2010, 06:44 PM
I think at least i'll get married in a church and have a funeral in a church. For tradition if nothing else.

I'm a christian but only by name really.

Zak
17-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Being Agnostic I suppose it doesn't really apply to me.

However I don't wish to marry in a church or get married all together. Although if my partner is Christian and wants to, I will respect her and get married in a church. Not being baptised or christened or anything I do find that a little weird though :P

Most people if they did come to either would be christian so it would probably be for the best anyway.

Rapidshare
17-12-2010, 07:55 PM
As much as I dont really believe in it, I would get married in a church. The reason is that I believe that is marriage is part religionous.

buttons
17-12-2010, 08:01 PM
It's quite a misconception by so many people that most people get married in Churchs.
really? :P my whole family are religious so i wouldn't really know how others have their wedding/funeral. my uncle isn't religious so my auntie and him didn't get married in a church but they still said vows and had a priest do it for them :S

i don't have anything against anyone who does do it but it's awfully hypocritical, then again so is the bible.. but my friends brother committed suicide ('sin'), was really heavily in to drugs, violence, stealing.. you get the picture. none of the family was religious yet he had a funeral, something about his family wanting him to be rebirthed or some ****, basically he goes through life living it the way he did THEN asks for forgiveness. same with how a lot of people start believing in God and the afterlife AFTER a friend/family member dies >.> i just don't get it lol

what about if someone you know dies is religious and a funeral, would any of you atheists go? i'm assuming yes and interested why..

Inseriousity.
17-12-2010, 08:15 PM
These so-called "humanist" funerals are just awful from what I hear.

Not been to one but my teacher said she prefered it. All a matter of taste I suppose.

I'm not really an atheist but I wouldn't want to get married in a church. Registry offices are much quicker. oh I'm such a non-romantic :P

PS. Mathew, can't wait til you do Beliefs in Society in sociology next year lolol. Science is as much a religion as Christianity/Islam etc.

Mathew
17-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Not been to one but my teacher said she prefered it. All a matter of taste I suppose.

I'm not really an atheist but I wouldn't want to get married in a church. Registry offices are much quicker. oh I'm such a non-romantic :P

PS. Mathew, can't wait til you do Beliefs in Society in sociology next year lolol. Science is as much a religion as Christianity/Islam etc.
Caught up in the Education topic right now. It's getting rather interesting; a complete moron with a massive nose keeps challenging me about how great Labour are and what a fool David Cameron is. Is it you? ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!