PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Phrases/Names

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I feel the rules should be amended to not allow offensive remarks to be used throughout the forum. I feel that it has a negative effect on the forum and generally is violating the 'do not post to cause arguments rule'. This would also apply to names etc.

This amendment could easily exist under A1 or A2.

Thoughts?

Inseriousity.
17-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I was under the impression that this was already the case anyway.

I suppose my problem is 'what is offensive' because that's a very subjective thing. For example, some people think Frankie Boyle is offensive and others don't think he is.

Special
17-12-2010, 07:26 PM
they arn't allowed anyway

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd give examples of what I mean, however then I would be violating rule A1.

Inseriousity.
17-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm no mind reader (shame :() but if we're thinking of the same thing then I agree with this post:
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=679354

The inconsistency of moderation rather than the rules are the problem and is probably because of my previous post. These sort of roles are very subjective.

GommeInc
17-12-2010, 07:48 PM
It's common sense and already tackled. If someone takes offense it is usually dealt with, or if someone is meant to take offense. It's incredibly annoying when someone no wiser and no smarter than the members of the forum in which they moderate plays the assumption game when lest we forget that some "phrases" or "names" are done in jest.

I'm no mind reader (shame :() but if we're thinking of the same thing then I agree with this post:
http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=679354

The inconsistency of moderation rather than the rules are the problem and is probably because of my previous post. These sort of roles are very subjective.
How stupid (the content of the thread, not you or Jordy :P) It's causing no offense, and the people who are offended need to stop sniffing glue and get out once in a while.

Hecktix
17-12-2010, 07:48 PM
At the end of the day - there could be arguments made that any name could be offensive therefore it's a difficult one to call and most certainly a difficult one to moderate.

Where we can, offensive material will be moderated like in the case Inseriousity has commented - I don't feel it's inconsistency with moderation that's the problem however what content is offensive and content which is not offensive is extremely subjective and it's an extremely difficult one for a moderator to call.

Swastika is a word, there's a user called Nazi too - also a word - however both of these users have been informed they must not use their name in an offensive manner or use images upon their account which would resemble support for such things.

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 08:24 PM
You could say the same about adult material, at what point does it stop being informative and start being inappropriate.

Generally I would draw the line at the point where you have people making threads complaining about such things. Action was taken when the MJ jokes occurred, it was a very similar issue and it was dealt with.

Eoin247
17-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Judging by the poll it seems to be that most people don't feel too strongly about this.

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Judging by the poll it seems to be that most people don't feel too strongly about this.

most people are in favor.

Do you not know how to read a graph?

xxMATTGxx
17-12-2010, 08:29 PM
You could say the same about adult material, at what point does it stop being informative and start being inappropriate.

Generally I would draw the line at the point where you have people making threads complaining about such things. Action was taken when the MJ jokes occurred, it was a very similar issue and it was dealt with.

The only action I remember that was taken was an announcement posted by nvrspk4 informing the users that the jokes were allowed to be posted and we wouldn't be dealing with them in terms of moderation due to several complaints. Is that the same thing you are trying to ask here? Although MJ jokes did have 16 page feedback thread If I remember correctly.

I think he meant the lack of votes in terms of numbers.

Hecktix
17-12-2010, 08:29 PM

Yes, because 6 out of 400+ active users is most... ;)

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Yes, because 6 out of 400+ active users is most... ;)

6 out of 12 who have voted.

Hecktix
17-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Well that's not a statistically significant result either :P

xxMATTGxx
17-12-2010, 08:32 PM

It still isn't a huge number of votes either way.

Stephen
17-12-2010, 08:33 PM
how many people voted no by accident? Thought the title was the question doh

Eoin247
17-12-2010, 08:33 PM

First of all when i posted there were less yes'.

And even as i post this its 50-50 between yes and the no/ i dont care.

So learn to read a graph yourself before you accuse me.

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 08:35 PM
First of all when i posted there were less yes'.

That is you fault for passing judgement at an early stage in a poll.

xxMATTGxx
17-12-2010, 08:35 PM
how many people voted no by accident? Thought the title was the question doh

Not me but I suppose that's why you are suppose to read the first post in the thread just encase! :P

Eoin247
17-12-2010, 08:37 PM
That is you fault for passing judgement at an early stage in a poll.

Lol at this amazingly hippocritical post.

Chippiewill
17-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Lol at this amazingly hippocritical post.
hypocritical*

Mmmk, point being?

Eoin247
17-12-2010, 08:43 PM
hypocritical*

Mmmk, point being?

You passed early judgement same as me. :P

Stephen
17-12-2010, 08:46 PM

the devil has spoken

beth
18-12-2010, 11:16 PM
they're just words.

Eoin247
18-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I reitterate what i said earlier with regards to the poll.

Mrs.McCall
19-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I agree with other members. The forum moderators moderate at their discretion and I think it should work like that. Some are more relaxed than others. Some people get offended by different things.

I remember the whole MJ jokes thing because I was part of posting them. I also remember fuss about Steve Irwin jokes. Sometimes people get offended but, if it isn't breaking the rules, then I don't see it as a problem. Until it becomes a rule break, it shouldn't be an issue. We can never cater for everyone's opinions.

Unarmoured
19-12-2010, 02:15 AM
My name is Chippiewill and I love to ride the moderators.

Eoin247
19-12-2010, 02:19 AM
My name is Chippiewill and I love to ride the moderators.

He also loves to block people who prove him wrong lol. :D

KEILLERISBANNED
19-12-2010, 04:10 PM
they arn't allowed anyway

Yeak Ikr

Gibs960
19-12-2010, 05:02 PM
If someone puts there name as something nasty I thought they had it changed to something else or got banned?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!