PDA

View Full Version : google problem.

beth
22-12-2010, 10:49 AM
everytime i click a result on google it redirects to another search page.
i've done a malwarebytes scan and it found 4 things, and i removed them last night but this is still happening.

i'm using firefox beta4, but it doesn't happen when i use chrome.

my initial instict is that it's spyware, but when i scan malwarebytes isn't picking up anything.
help? +rep.

LMS16
22-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Boot your PC into safemode with networking, go to google, do a search & see if it redirects.
If so, its a Virus & you've need to a scan with MWB & Super Anti Spyware.

If it still redirected, reinstall firefox or test another link to see if its that particular website.

Lew.

redtom
22-12-2010, 01:17 PM
For a perm fix update your antivirus and scan again, the problem should be found and removed.

For a short term fix try this...

(1) Click START > RUN > and type in "C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts"
(2) When prompted, open the HOSTS file in either Notepad or Wordpad
(3) Delete all the lines of IP addresses in the text document except for "127.0.0.1 localhost"

I'm pretty sure that the problem will reappear eventualy using this method

FlyingJesus
22-12-2010, 01:48 PM
I smell a rootkit.

First off delete your temp files and such, that won't solve it probably but it's good to start clean. Malwarebytes didn't pick it up when I had one like this despite being good for most things, so what you want to do is get yourself Hitman 3.5 (it's free and just delete it afterwards because it's not useful as a general purpose thing really) and that is likely to find and kill the top layer part, then grab TDSSkiller to hunt out the rootkit and kill it at registry level. If that still doesn't sort it get HijackThis! and post a log of what it finds, but don't mess around with the results on that unless you know what you're looking for, you don't wanna delete critical system stuff lol

Jam
22-12-2010, 11:21 PM
Or as someone once wrote, backup and reinstall windows.

beth
22-12-2010, 11:27 PM
reinstalling windows and all that jazz is a bit tricky because i'm using a notebook without a cd drive, and i'm not really sure how you go about reinstalling windows without a disc.

tom, msn me and talk me through what i'm doing :)

Casio
23-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Without the disk: Download your suitable .ISO file for you it would be Windows, then get PowerISO ( This lets your run your favourite programs without a disk) The follow on-screen instructions :)

Moh
23-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Sounds like a browser hijacker, hate those!

Try the MS Malware remover, sometimes works:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

Rapidshare
23-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Download HijackThis! latest version and run scan. Post the log on here and I will see what wrong.

triston220
24-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm not sur eif thi will help but go into about:config, type keyword.url. What's the value of it?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!