PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live Messenger 2011

Jordy
27-12-2010, 03:46 PM
For quite a while now I've heard people whining about it, for instance it removes the import/export contacts feature and disables one-way webcam. This made me reluctant to upgrade as I hate the thought of losing functionality when "upgrading" but anyway, I'm sick of being told to upgrade and plus I really need Windows Live Mesh which is part of the new Windows Live Essentials pack.

So anyway I've set it up (Windows Live Mesh is fantastic btw, great way of syncing files between computers automatically over the web!). But what the **** is Messenger?

It looks like this!
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/671/windowslivez.png
I'm sorry but I refuse to use something like this, I don't care for the ******* social features. No one uses MSN.com, Windows Profiles, MySpace etc, I do not want them. And frankly I'm more than happy using Facebook within my browser.

I'm also best not pleased Messenger Plus Live! (The plugin) isn't working with it, I miss some of it's features especially it's advanced chat logging.

So basically I've created this thread to vent off a bit of anger, to see whether anyone else agrees and what I can do about it. Unfortunately downgrading is not an option as I will lose Windows Live Mesh if I do so. Anyway can I sort this out with tampering settings etc or any decent WLM alternatives for Windows?

I just cannot believe Microsoft have ruined such a good product I've been using for as long as I can remember.

Moh
27-12-2010, 03:55 PM
God, that looks worse than I thought!

I think when I'm forced to upgrade, I'm going to use Skype.

Nemo
27-12-2010, 04:12 PM
They're idiots. There was a point in time when it was perfect, had everything you could ever want. And they've steadily made it worse and worse, disappointing really.

[Chris]
27-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Wow. Thats why im staying with 2009 (i think it is) With hyperlinking re-enabled

Nemo
27-12-2010, 04:39 PM
;6911501']Wow. Thats why im staying with 2009 (i think it is) With hyperlinking re-enabled
howd u manage to re-enable it?

Neversoft
27-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Looks hooooooorrible. Doesn't look like you can change your display name either, how disappointing. Some of my contacts have even stopped using msn because of how much 2011 sucks. Guess I better let them know they can downgrade. So glad I stuck with 2009. Not looking forward to when they force you to upgrade.

Jordy
27-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Looks hooooooorrible. Doesn't look like you can change your display name either, how disappointing. Some of my contacts have even stopped using msn because of how much 2011 sucks. Guess I better let them know they can downgrade. So glad I stuck with 2009. Not looking forward to when they force you to upgrade.Indeed it now uses your full name assigned to your windows live account. A bit of a privacy issue tbh.

The hyperlinks being disabled were also a reason for me upgrading but yeah I totally agree Neem, it was pretty much perfect at one point and now they're killing it off.

I've managed to turn on this 'compact view' which has removed most the social features (Will post screenie later). Strongly recommend you don't upgrade.

Moh
27-12-2010, 05:08 PM
http://www.generationmediagroup.com/blog/re-enable-links-in-messenger-09/

Easy Peasy :D

Recursion
27-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Or just hide the social stuff by pressing the icon next to "Inbox" in the top right and wait for Messenger Plus! to be updated... :rolleyes:

EDIT: How is using your full name a privacy issue? Don't add people you don't know, simple.

SirTezza
27-12-2010, 05:11 PM
You can cut that view short by clicking the little icon in the top corner. Then it only shows the contact list.

However I did use it for 3 days and decided I didn't like it. I would sometimes not receive messages that were sent to me while I was offlline, the webcam feature is messed up and sometimes my contacts didn't see me online.

All-in-all it wasn't very good IMO. So I went back.

Jordy
27-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Or just hide the social stuff by pressing the icon next to "Inbox" in the top right and wait for Messenger Plus! to be updated... :rolleyes:

EDIT: How is using your full name a privacy issue? Don't add people you don't know, simple.Done that now, bare in mind I created this thread asking for help so dont roll your eyes at me.

I use msn for talking to a lot of people from online, if they know their full name they can begin googling me and finding me on Facebook, not a massive issue but I dont go around advertising my full name.

Arron
27-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Had this version on my main desktop PC and it's absolutely VILE.

Anyone remember MSN 7.5?

[Chris]
27-12-2010, 05:36 PM
howd u manage to re-enable it?

Download HxD Hex Editor (http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/)
Go into your program files, Drag the Messenger.exe file to your desktop
Open it in HxD
Search for hotlink
Change any letter in that to something else (Eg totlink)
Then save, and redrag it back into the Messenger folder.

Nemo
27-12-2010, 05:47 PM
;6911631']Download HxD Hex Editor (http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/)
Go into your program files, Drag the Messenger.exe file to your desktop
Open it in HxD
Search for hotlink
Change any letter in that to something else (Eg totlink)
Then save, and redrag it back into the Messenger folder.Mucho gracias. +rep.

[Chris]
27-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Mucho gracias. +rep.

There might be some easier ways. I dont know. But it annoyed me so much i just looked through the exe and found that sorts it.

jackass
27-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Why does every single WLM get worse by release? :|

Jordy
27-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Here it is looking slightly better...
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6445/windowslive2.png
It's still got nothing on how it used to be.

Recursion
27-12-2010, 11:05 PM
You do realise if you make the window narrower it goes into the old-style list form? :P

GommeInc
27-12-2010, 11:43 PM
You do realise if you make the window narrower it goes into the old-style list form? :P
^ What that thing said. I'm assuming you've clicked the grey column(s) picture next to Inbox and the MSN symbol (3 symbols on their own on the right in your picture)?

Luke
28-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Such as
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6928/68401928.png

MSGPlusLive v5 will be released sometime next month, after which case it'll be greatly improved; but apart from the Webcam thing, I ain't seeing any issues atm. I think the way it sets your name makes it ALOT cleaner.. so people don't have names that doesn't really identify them..

Snatter
28-12-2010, 04:32 PM
I like the graphical user interfaces of msn but I'm on a Mac now and it is actually soo bad - but now I don't mind it from the screenshot you've posted (op)! It looks dreadful. They're trying to make it a new social networking site and it's failing.

Jordy
28-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Such as
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/6928/68401928.png

MSGPlusLive v5 will be released sometime next month, after which case it'll be greatly improved; but apart from the Webcam thing, I ain't seeing any issues atm. I think the way it sets your name makes it ALOT cleaner.. so people don't have names that doesn't really identify them..Yeah that does look better but I prefer to maximise the window, sadly you can now only get that view when the window's quite small.

As you can see I use nicknaming to rename all my contacts to useful names anyway xD I look forward to MsgPlusLive but I suppose I'll have to put up with it till then.

RobDawson
28-12-2010, 08:56 PM
That looks terrible, and i'm glad i've got the old version of msn. I think maybe you should consider downgrading back to the previous version...?

Markeh
29-12-2010, 12:13 PM
I was worried when I opened the box for my HP Mini, and it said "Windows Live applications pre-installed".

Luckily its still on 09, as all my systems will be until they force upgrade me. and then I'll consider Trillian or something.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!