PDA

View Full Version : Dual Monitors.

PaulMacC
27-12-2010, 07:52 PM
I'll be purchasing two monitors come January. I'd like to have them running as an extended desktop. I've one problem, my PC has x1 HDMI port, x1 VGA port. How do I do this. If possible I would not like to install anything into my current PC.

Monitors I am purchasing - http://amzn.to/hmbkfH

If you are wondering why does it have component input, I need it for my HD PVR so I can record my Xbox 360/PS3

PaulMacC
27-12-2010, 08:23 PM
bump.bump.

Edited by HotelUser (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't bump threads without contributing to the discussion, thanks.

Chippiewill
27-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I think, it's not possible. You'll need to get a graphics card with two DVI outputs. You can split the HDMI output (maybe) however the resolution will be low and it'll look terrible. You *could* use the VGA output however the resolution would be so low you'd be wasting your time. Basically: Get a new graphics card.

Edit: I think those monitors are in the same series as my monitor (Mine has slightly different inputs), the one I have is very good quality, good choice.
Edit2: Gratz on 15k posts you're on par with NaughtyNemo.

PaulMacC
27-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Could I just plug one into HDMI, one into VGA lol?

HotelUser
27-12-2010, 08:49 PM
If both interfaces are on the same graphics card then yes you can just plug one into HDMI and one into VGA.

However if each interface is on a separate graphics card (i.e. the HDMI is on a separate PCI-E card whereas the VGA is on the mobo) then you wont be able to do this and you'll need purchase a graphics card which has multiple outputs.

PaulMacC
27-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I can plug my TV into HDMI and use that as an extended desktop. So it should work.

N!ck
27-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Should be fine.

Chippiewill
27-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Could I just plug one into HDMI, one into VGA lol?

No since VGA has a horrible resolution limitation and you'll get horrible colour distortion because HDMI always makes stuff have a higher contrast. It'll work but defeat the point of getting an additional monitor because it'll be restricted to such low resolution that you get minimal benefit, also TVs handle VGA terribly so the resolution will probably be set even lower.

N!ck
27-12-2010, 11:22 PM
No since VGA has a horrible resolution limitation and you'll get horrible colour distortion because HDMI always makes stuff have a higher contrast. It'll work but defeat the point of getting an additional monitor because it'll be restricted to such low resolution that you get minimal benefit, also TVs handle VGA terribly so the resolution will probably be set even lower.

Wrong.

Chippiewill
27-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Wrong.
Wrong.

You see how this works?

Jordy
27-12-2010, 11:37 PM
No since VGA has a horrible resolution limitation and you'll get horrible colour distortion because HDMI always makes stuff have a higher contrast. It'll work but defeat the point of getting an additional monitor because it'll be restricted to such low resolution that you get minimal benefit, also TVs handle VGA terribly so the resolution will probably be set even lower.I've been doing it for 18 months and had no issues?

Stephen!
27-12-2010, 11:39 PM
VGA is a sin.

Chippiewill
27-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I've been doing it for 18 months and had no issues?
How many FPS do you get at 1920x1080 on VGA?

Stephen!
27-12-2010, 11:50 PM
How many FPS do you get at 1920x1080 on VGA?

The cable type won't change the FPS your PC can produce... Also, VGA does not have a resolution limit. You can set it to as high as your monitor will let you. If you are having trouble with that, then you have been doing it wrong.

Chippiewill
27-12-2010, 11:58 PM
The cable type won't change the FPS your PC can produce...
Yeah, I kinda forgot the correct word for that.

Also, VGA does not have a resolution limit. You can set it to as high as your monitor will let you. If you are having trouble with that, then you have been doing it wrong.
Yes but it's crap quality and the refresh rate will be horrific.

Cheryl
28-12-2010, 12:10 AM

You seem to be contradicting yourself a fair amount here.

Stephen!
28-12-2010, 12:11 AM

The refresh rate will be the same as what your monitors is.

Yes, I have had a few problems with VGA in the past. I once could not get it to display the right resolution. Nothing you can't fix by forcing it in the Nvidia/ATi control panel. Same with refresh rates.

Edit: I have also read that the colour can be slightly better when using VGA/Component. At least with the Xbox 360.

HotelUser
28-12-2010, 12:13 AM
My laptop's graphics card doesn't support 1920 x 1080 through VGA - I had to switch to DVI and it's a heck of a lot more clear anyway for whatever reason.

Stephen!
28-12-2010, 12:15 AM
The great advantage of DVI is that it automatically sets the image up for you. You don't need to press the auto button on the monitor for everything to become clear.

But anyway, overall, VGA is worse. If you can, try to stick with DVI.

N!ck
28-12-2010, 12:25 AM
Yes, go DVI if you can but there's absolutely nothing wrong with VGA. Only issue I've had was a ghosting image and that was fixed by changing cables.

Recursion
28-12-2010, 12:38 AM
VGA is being phased out, switch to DVI either way :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!