PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Fansite

Arron
29-12-2010, 11:03 PM
I've always wondered - what are the steps in creating a Habbo Fansite? I'd love to make one just for the sake of the experience in the future (after college).

Could anyone do a step-by-step guide on how to create a Habbo Fansite?

Luke
29-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Ideas:
------
Name
Content
Design

Money:
------
Hosting
Domain
Shoutcast - if applicable
Forum software (vbulletin, IPB) - if applicable

Work:
------
Design layout
Code layout
Write content
Add code to site
Throw in a few ajax effects.

Staff:
-------
Hire some.

Opening:
------
Open site, get max listeners of about 12 on your radio and maybe about 30 signups on the forum

Closing:
------
People stop visiting, you've wasted your money and you decide to shut up shop.

Sums it up; but yeah, in all seriousness, I don't think it's a good idea. If you're having to ask for the steps, then you're obviously (no offence) not gonna get anywhere. The only fansites that sort of succeed are those that were created back in the day (2002-2004 period) or ones that have something WOW.

There's too many of the same generic stuff which is why they all fail.

Just something for you to think about.

Arron
29-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm not gonna create one properly but I've just wondered the steps in creating one. I dont even know what Write Content or Shoutcast is..

Trinity
30-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm not gonna create one properly but I've just wondered the steps in creating one. I dont even know what Write Content or Shoutcast is..

Write content = write all of the text on the website, e.g. guide and other such nonsense.
Shoutcast = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoutcast, it's the radio stuff.

I think making one just for experience is a good idea, just don't expect it to get popular or anything unless you have some really great ideas for it.
Also, if you get stuck along the way, this forum is full of lovely people that could help you out.

Arron
30-12-2010, 12:51 AM
Just come up with a bit of a master plan here..

I'm gonna get into fansites more and learn a lot of features within them. I'll get used to these technical terms and when June flies around I might give it a bash in developing my own! :) I'm not expecting it to be popular but it is just the experience of completing it and having that feel good factor after you launch the site!

On a typical fansite, how much money (including vB Forum which costs £50 i think?) does the whole site add up to?

Luke
30-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Just come up with a bit of a master plan here..

I'm gonna get into fansites more and learn a lot of features within them. I'll get used to these technical terms and when June flies around I might give it a bash in developing my own! :) I'm not expecting it to be popular but it is just the experience of completing it and having that feel good factor after you launch the site!

On a typical fansite, how much money (including vB Forum which costs £50 i think?) does the whole site add up to?

The vbulletin is more like £123! But you could go with phpBB or SMF or something.. Free alternatives ;)
You can get hosting starting at like £10 /year
Then domain's are on average £5 /year

Arron
30-12-2010, 01:05 AM
£123 for vB Forum?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yeah I'll stick with the phpBB :P

Snatter
30-12-2010, 01:13 AM
The vbulletin is more like £123! But you could go with phpBB or SMF or something.. Free alternatives ;)
You can get hosting starting at like £10 /year
Then domain's are on average £5 /year

Hosting at £10 per year? Where is that from?

RobDawson
30-12-2010, 03:57 AM
You could get reliable hosting from SimplexWebs for around £15-£20 a year with a free domain :)

Luke
30-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Hosting at £10 per year? Where is that from?
http://mr-host.com/web-hosting/ Just one example

ChristopherH
03-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey There,
so you want to start a fansite eh,?

Most Fansites these days will have to have some good features to get hit's as thier are way to many around,
So This is what id do..

Hosting / Domain:
Get Your Hosting (I Can Give you Free Hosting but you have to buy domain with me. or google FREE Hosting)
Get Your Domain (I Sell Domains for $35.95us 2Years Registration or go to http://www.co.cc/ & get a yourname.co.cc)
.com , .net , .org , .biz , .info, .co.uk , .cc , .us , .tv

The Fansite:
1. Get Someone to Design Your Layout.. (Habbox Forum Web Market)
2. You Can Write your Content or you can pay some one (Web Market)
3. Hire Staff (Website Staff - Habbox Forum)
4. Buy / Download Your Goodies (HabboEmotion Goodies)
5. Get an Radio - Most Fansites Have Radio's These Days FREE: (http://www.listen2myradio.com/)
6. Get an Forum - People love chatting. So Why not download (PHPBB or IPB)
7. Get an News Publisher (CUTE NEWS)
8. Get an usersystem - Habbos Love Em (Habbo Emotion)
9. Competitions (HABBO GIVEAWAYS)

Trinity
03-01-2011, 02:23 PM
I Sell Domains for $35.95us 2Years Registration

...Seriously? GoDaddy have an offer on at the moment for $1.49 domains for the first year, and then standard price (about $6 or $7, I think) for the next year/s.
Does anyone actually pay your extremely high price?

ChristopherH
03-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Hey There,
Sorry Trinity but the Prices are Much Diffrent to Australian Server Compared to US Servers..

I Can Beat Go Daddy's AUD Price by Selling a Domain With 1 Years Rego for:
A$11.95 .com / net / org / biz / us names.

Cheers,
Chris

Fiendly
04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
...Seriously? GoDaddy have an offer on at the moment for $1.49 domains for the first year, and then standard price (about $6 or $7, I think) for the next year/s.
Does anyone actually pay your extremely high price?

Around Christmas they offer for $1AUD..

Well awhile ago I bought a shoutcast lite package.
So I have 8 servers available, might decide to sell them and eventually upgrade.. if anyones interested.

hamheyelliot
04-01-2011, 05:23 PM
I honestly don't think this needs to turn into a little market stall for domains, but good luck if you're off to make a fansite at some point. They're the most saturated type of website I've ever came across, so like mentioned- you'll really need an edge of some sort.

lTraditional
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I recommend Mybb and not phpBB but it is upo to you which software you use for your forum.

Arron
05-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I understand that in order for a fansite to be a success is a hard challenge as there is quite a lot! I don't plan to rush into anything. I'm currently designing a website now and hoping to come up with unique features. I want to believe that my fansite will do well because I can organise massive giveaways but it does take a lot of hard work for any fansite to be noticed. But like I said in the original post... I have a lot to learn yet before I even start about buying a domain name etc. I hardly know zilch about website formatting or anything so it may be next year until I feel confident enough in actually ask anyone to code the site.

Thanks for all your replies. I would like to ask if anyone could give me some form of Fansite Guide which contains all the aspects of developing your very own site. I just need to get familiar with all the sort of terms you lot use and how they work! :)

Flumples
05-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Just make your fansite's design unique, get some dedicated staff on board and you'll have a winner. Every habbo fansite looks the same these days.

Trinity
05-01-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I would like to ask if anyone could give me some form of Fansite Guide which contains all the aspects of developing your very own site. I just need to get familiar with all the sort of terms you lot use and how they work! :)

Have you read through this thread?: http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=341975

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!